ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
10 speaker system sub's?

So what I have been reading is that the subs in my system are behind the seat my 2004 3.0 sport package with the 10 speaker system. Correct?

Yet when I use the fader, and fade to the back, I have no bass at all. I fade tot he front and I have all the base I usually have.

Does that mean I have an issue with the sub's, or is that just how the system is set up where the fader does not put the subs in when faded to the back?

The system seems to have decent base (for a factory system anyway) but it all seems to be coming from the kick panel area - not behind the seats.

Normal? Problem?

Thanks,

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

It is normal that the subs fade in with the fronts.

If they produce bass (enough bass)... I don't know.
They work ok?

take a listen if there's any sound at all (seats moved forewards and listen at the sub speaker mesh)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
That is what I was wondering. Maybe they were not considered "rear speakers" and maybe would fade out with the front when the fader was moved to the rear. Bass is always hard to tell where it is coming from, but I can certainly feel the bass pounding on my foot when bass heavy songs are on. I will try your suggestion of moving the seats up and maybe taking the grilles off and see if I can determine that they are in deed working.

The systems sounds decent and I have no reason to think they are not, but like all us car people, I do my best to test everything and keep it working. That is 1/2 the reason I buy cars like this - to piddle with them.

Thanks!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Don't take the grilles off unless you need to.
When the cars get older& the plastic ages, the intergrated clips in the grille tend to break (first hand info......)
Just play loud music with a lot of bass (or adjust tone/eq), get the seats foreward and hear (or feel with your hand) if theres bass coming from the speaker grille and that it doesn't sound distorted
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
I have already had them both off. One had some "gunk" on it and the other came off to put my smart top in. But you are right, I wont take them off unless I can't hear anything with them on and need to feel with my hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Rear speakers are the ones up higher near your head...
      12-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Removed the drivers side sub woofer speaker (lower, large cover) and the clips were fine on my 07 Z4M roadster; removed cover to expose Bluetooth PassKey identification sticker to retrieve the 4 digit number....to program my smartphone for hands-free phone use.
      12-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I had the same issue (no base). So i pulled the grills off and there was no movement from the speakers. If I pushed on the cone, then the speaker would start working. This is caused by an internal wire that is broken or loose. OEM replacement is very expensive like $400 a speaker. And the non-OEM replacement is hard to find because it is a 10-ohm system. I ended up taking them out and saving weight. I like the music of the engine better.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0