ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

2005 E85: Need to get paring code from TCU...without dealer's gouging.

Want a good laugh? Who doesn't? Got this car new and never bothered with Bluetooth because I thought it was a subscription deal. Now, just last week, the haze lifted and I realized that I do have bluetooth and it is free. However, as I don't have any idea what the pairing code is (don't have the plastic card, don't have the instruction manual), I'm going to need some help. I do know that my car has the TCU and I have been able to get as far as trying pairing codes from 0000 to 0009, without any success. Of course, the stealership will do this for $180...up theirs. So, I'm hoping that you folks can lead me to finding the needed code. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

Pairing code is on the unit itself. You need to pull back the carpet inside the trunk. The BT unit is located on the drivers side.
      06-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

If you do a search, you'll find the article with specifics how to get to the unit. I found it very difficult to actually remove the carpet and the unit itself. I pulled back a significant portion of the carpet, wedged my phone into the back with the flash on, and recorded video, hoping to get clear enough footage to read the code. Took me 3 tries, but saved me tons of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=tcu
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Logic rules - although there were no specific references that going though the speaker cover works in the 2005 Z4s, the assumption that it should because in 2005 (and thereafter) the BT module was incorporated into the TCU (and the TCU did have the PK# on its forward facing face), success at last!

Found this reference to be the most helpful (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810847). No problem taking off the speaker cover (didn't think there would be). Getting down on the ground, using a wooden spatula to downward depress the very stiff cables, using a flashlight and looking up into the upper left hand corner of the access hole, there it was, the PK# in all its glory. Can't believe that it took me 7 years to realize that BT was available. Oh well, better late than never, as they say...

BTW, we now know, for sure, that the PK is on the front facing face of the TCU in 2005 Z4s. And, in prior models, it is easily found by lifting the left side of the rear wall trunk cover, viewing the sticker on the bluetooth module that is right next to the TCU.

Thanks all for your help.
Appreciate 0