ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

DSC Off!

Yeah I know this is probably common knowledge to most here who track often, but it doesn't hurt to re-state in our shiny new track forum...

Once you're at a comfortable point with your car out on the track, turn off DSC.

I just got back from the first day of a two-day BMWCCA HPDE that I ran most of the day (like I've done all my other days) with DSC On. I expected, on my first session with DSC off, that I'd be out of control and all over the place with out all the electronic nannies to keep me going straight. As it would turn out though, my best/fastest/most smooth run ever was the first with DSC off. DSC was actually hurting me tremendously, kicking in and scrubbing speed when it shouldn't have been. I am still shocked at how much better the car drove with me in control as opposed to the nannies
      03-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

its not about the ride, its about the rider!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

I had a Car Control Clinic organized by my local BMW CCA (Quebec) on Saturday.

Drills consisted of: Circular Wet skid pad, Figure - 8 wet skid pad, slalom and breaking and avoiding exercises. In the afternoon thay set up a mini Auto X circuit.

This all done in a safe environment: An asphalted area as large as 16 football fields.

All were done with DSC off. And I enjoyed it. Finding the limits the car and the driver have. And losing control a few (too many) times, which was encouraged.

Now I feel confident for track days with DSC off. I am signed up for 4 days. 2 in July at Calabogie (Ontario) and 2 in August at Tremblant (Quebec).

I have done 2 days at Tremblant last year and I'm afraid to say that I am hooked.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I have mine on for the first session at a new track whilst I'm learning the ropes...after that...it's always off....provided it's dry.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MCJJ View Post
I have mine on for the first session at a new track whilst I'm learning the ropes...after that...it's always off....provided it's dry.
Exactly what he said. Once you know what you're doing, the DSC becomes more intrusive than helpful.

There was a BMW Club Race running at the same time as the last BMW HPDE, and I thought it was funny that all the cars had big stickers on the dashes reminding them to "TURN OFF DSC!". I guess no matter how much you strip a car down, you can't disable the DSC without hitting the little button each time
      05-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Annecdotally, on my last track day...I had DSC on as described above....an E60 M5 stuck to me like glue....

Later in the day with DSC off....gapped him by almost 1/2 a lap...he couldn't touch me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
There was a BMW Club Race running at the same time as the last BMW HPDE, and I thought it was funny that all the cars had big stickers on the dashes reminding them to "TURN OFF DSC!". I guess no matter how much you strip a car down, you can't disable the DSC without hitting the little button each time
My autox T-Shirt

Unless it's wet, I always turn off DSC at autox events, but leave it alone for normal driving. At wet autox events I'll generally do half with it on to see where it's kicking in the most, and then do a few runs with it off being extra careful in the areas it was coming on.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

DSC ON is blasphemy.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster 3.0i

im a little late on this but.... YES!! DSC OFF!! my first time on the track i had it on and before the day was over the DSC apparently engaged more than I had expected and my rear rotors/pads were toast before the first day was over. cracked the rear rotors and burned right through the pads... i couldnt figure out why at first because most of the breaking is done in the front. Then i realized it was cause by the DSC engaging while i was accelerating out of turns.... tore them up badddd
      02-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

That probably has more to do with your car not having LSD, and the computer trying to manage inside wheel spin during cornering. On a car with LSD, DSC will still result in some extra wear on pads and rotors, but it won't be that dramatic.
      02-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
zeroselect
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
That probably has more to do with your car not having LSD, and the computer trying to manage inside wheel spin during cornering. On a car with LSD, DSC will still result in some extra wear on pads and rotors, but it won't be that dramatic.
It will be less with LSD but it will still cause the rear to go faster than your front brakes.

P.S.
(broken record) OEM brakes are crap on the track. (/broken record)
The brakes won't even last a day worth of track driving. Thank God for BMW warranty.
Spare Track: 93 Nissan 240sx
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroselect View Post
(broken record) OEM brakes are crap on the track. (/broken record)
The brakes won't even last a day worth of track driving. Thank God for BMW warranty.
This really depends on the track layout. The CSL/ZCP package brakes that are on our ///Ms are actually pretty decent on the track especially when combined with a better pad.
      02-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
zeroselect
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
This really depends on the track layout. The CSL/ZCP package brakes that are on our ///Ms are actually pretty decent on the track especially when combined with a better pad.
I forgot to write brake "pads".
Spare Track: 93 Nissan 240sx
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I keep mine off in the dry and sometimes in the wet. In the wet it may be faster with DSC on, but it's more fun with it off

E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
My autox T-Shirt

Unless it's wet, I always turn off DSC at autox events, but leave it alone for normal driving. At wet autox events I'll generally do half with it on to see where it's kicking in the most, and then do a few runs with it off being extra careful in the areas it was coming on.

oh. And I SO Need one of those shirts.

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Laidback used to sell those shirts over on the M5Board. He also has a MCoupe (and is part of Mfest), so he is on other forums. He was still selling them early last year, but not sure about how.

Here is the link from M5Board, but doesn't look like any activity in the last year.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sal...-shirts-8.html

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0