ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #23
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Press submit too fast.

So while I had the valve cover off. I put in new plugs. The old original plugs were really soil. I read a non working pcv can cause that, ie old pcv due to age. Or should I be looking for other issues. Car drives fine. 15 years old 88k currently
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #24
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
Press submit too fast.

So while I had the valve cover off. I put in new plugs. The old original plugs were really soil. I read a non working pcv can cause that, ie old pcv due to age. Or should I be looking for other issues. Car drives fine. 15 years old 88k currently
Your PCV is built into the valve cover so the new cover you bought gives you a brand new PCV along with that.

How do you mean the plugs were soiled? Just black soot? Do you see oil on them? White residue? There are many different symptoms and causes.

Also, there are some gaskets around the spark plug tubes under the valve cover. I'd replace those too. If these gaskets dry out and leak you'll have oil around your spark plugs.

FYI: Some symptoms of a failed PCV (pulled it off a random page via a quick google search)

a rise in the pressure of the internal engine
failure of seal/gasket
leaking oil from the engine
emission of black smoke
construction of the sludge under the hood
wetness under your hood
engine surge
frequent lean fire
oil discovered in the maf sensor
increased oil consumption rate

Last edited by belcom; 03-29-2022 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 08:52 PM   #25
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

All the gasket are now new.. everything went back on today and I ran the car with the scanner on.. no errors. The valve area was pretty clean, no sludge build up on the cover or around the exposed area.

Oily plug.. original @ 88k
      03-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #26
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
All the gasket are now new.. everything went back on today and I ran the car with the scanner on.. no errors. The valve area was pretty clean, no sludge build up on the cover or around the exposed area.

Oily plug.. original @ 88k
Old plugs don't look good. All 6 were same? Was there any oil in the spark plug wells before you started working on it?

But before jumping to conclusions, run the car after the repairs for a few days and then pull the new plugs out and check again for oil deposits.

Wouldn't hurt to do a compression test on all cylinders as well for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 08:39 AM   #27
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Yes, all 6 had same issue. the plug well was dry. Once I get the rtab in, ill drive it around and pull the plug after to check. cleaned the convertible drain.. so much gunk in it. Luckily my motor is already in trunk..

I need to get a compression testor.. never own one.