ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #1
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

My 170k Mile Z4MC

Hi everyone, as the title suggests I have crossed 170k miles with my Sepang M Coupe, and was wondering what to do regarding engine maintenance. For reference, RB were done 10k miles ago as well as a full refresh of the various sensors and fluids. The car pulls hard and even walked my friends 70k mile E46 M3 with headers. I am specifically worried about the VANOS system, which seems to be working flawlessly despite the high mileage. Am I on borrowed time regarding a catastrophic hub failure, or is this a case of "if it aint broke, dont fix"? Expert opinion greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3853.50
      08-16-2022, 05:14 AM   #2
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Do a compression test, if the numbers are consistently even across all 6 cyl. then just enjoy it.
If the numbers are uneven and more than 10-13% different from one another then do a leakdown test to identify where the leaking is happening and plan for work to be done in those areas.
A short length of garden hose or a mechanics stethoscope will help you locate where it is leaking.
      08-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I don't have the M just the reg coupe but that's fantastic that you have so many miles. Glad to see someone who really enjoys their cars. Mine has 102k miles, last one had 145k before I got this one. I'm always of the belief that driving more is better than less. I was just recently told by the shop I use that I need to drive my Sportwagen more often, it's causing issue not being driven enough.

I wouldn't be looking for things to fix on yours, if it isn't broke don't go looking for trouble. It is still an older car, if you starting digging things will break due to brittle pieces. The clutch is what I would be worried about.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 04:44 PM   #4
ctdriver86
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Wow, how many miles did you do yourself? Congrats on a car that gets DRIVEN! From my experience, yes you are on borrowed time if the vanos is still original. Buying all the beisan parts should get you going worry free till your next rod bearing change. I believe the zf transmission is geared shorter than the getrag in the e46 m3.

Other things to inspect with that much mileage is the valve adjustment, suspension bushings, differential bushings, motor mounts, control arm ball joints, cooling system and oil filter housing gasket. I have 200k on my e46 m3 and still enjoy driving it. New to the z4m chassis but familiar with the engine. Those are pretty much the maintenance items on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 11:38 PM   #5
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdriver86 View Post
Wow, how many miles did you do yourself? Congrats on a car that gets DRIVEN! From my experience, yes you are on borrowed time if the vanos is still original. Buying all the beisan parts should get you going worry free till your next rod bearing change. I believe the zf transmission is geared shorter than the getrag in the e46 m3.

Other things to inspect with that much mileage is the valve adjustment, suspension bushings, differential bushings, motor mounts, control arm ball joints, cooling system and oil filter housing gasket. I have 200k on my e46 m3 and still enjoy driving it. New to the z4m chassis but familiar with the engine. Those are pretty much the maintenance items on the car.
Does the Besian system fix the hub issue? And yes ive already done rods, full suspension refresh, and valves within 5k miles ago. It drives like a new car!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
ctdriver86
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Do you happen to have pictures of the rod bearings? Were they ever done? I have a theory the rod bearings wear much quicker the less the car is driven due to thick oil not reaching the bearings quick enough causing wear excessive wear on combustion stroke.

If your exhaust hub tabs are not cracked or broken, the re-drilled oil pump disk should fix the hub issue. I cryo treat and wpc treat my hub for added durability but I haven't heard from anyone mentioning a broken exhaust hub tab after using the beisan oil pump disk. Don't forget to buy new cam bolts if not done already.
Appreciate 0