ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2023, 01:09 PM   #1
SoCalJim
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2004

2004 Z4 soft top replacement

I have a 2004 Z4. I removed the soft top from the car to replace the hydraulic cylinders. I tested it and it works perfectly on the bench. I’m ready to install it in the car but I noticed the fabric has gotten discolored and I would like to replace it. Is there someone in my area (Orange County, Southern California) that is professionally trained at replacing the fabric?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 06:43 PM   #2
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Not telling you what to do, but have you ever considered dyeing your top? Since you're not saying the top canvass isn't starting to tear, just discolor maybe dyeing it can give you a few more years before you need to replace it.

I'm sure you'll find a vender in California which can do a top replacement. However, as with all things BMW, I'm also sure the costs involved with a very good vender will be very salty.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 04:36 AM   #3
ladonblazer
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJim View Post
I have a 2004 Z4. I removed the soft top from the car to replace the hydraulic cylinders. I tested it and it works perfectly on the bench. I’m ready to install it in the car but I noticed the fabric has gotten discolored and I would like to replace it. Is there someone in my area (Orange County, Southern California) that is professionally trained at replacing the fabric?
basketball stars unblocked
In three cases, you have to drill out some top rivets. Actually the instructions say to chisel them off.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #4
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

I haven’t pulled the trigger on these guys yet, but they seem pretty affordable. https://www.autotopsdirect.com/default.asp
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 03:28 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I recall someone strongly advising to not buy direct from them and instead to go through their eBay store. It offers more protection for you if there are issues .
Appreciate 0