ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-29-2023, 06:54 AM   #1
ccav
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4

After Market Radio Screen Flicker

I recently installed a Boss BCPA8 in my 2007 3.0i.

All went to plan with the exception that if the headlights are on the screen transitions between day time brightness to night time brightness settings. If the dash light level is lowered the screen stays on the day time setting longer (the opposite is true when I increase the dash light brightness setting).

Reviewing the harness there does not appear to be another signal wire. My question is, can I install relay- use the illumination wire as control and tap into the accessory wire as signal wire to the radio. In theory this will work but I also know BMWs are sort of touchy when it comes to electrical loads.

Any feedback on this or an alternate approach would be appreciated. I understand that removing the signal will also work but would like to hold that approach as a last resort.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I’m curious if you looked up which radio set up (there are 3 and the “premium” choice isn’t compatible with non oem radio’s) you have. If you have a 10. Speaker system (there are 2) only the hi-if version is compatible.

Edit: If you have the high end premium system…. It will appear that it’s functional, but you no longer have all 10 speakers functioning, as the amp is no longer receiving a signal (via k-bus… you can look up the technical details) required. There are numerous articles accessible via google search on this issue.
      08-30-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
ccav
Registered
Rep

Thank you for the input. I will focus my Google searches per your suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 07:24 AM   #4
ccav
Registered
Rep

After Market Radio Screen Flicker

I have the 6 speaker system, most obvious indication is the lack of the center channel on the dash. Also I did not note a degradation of sound “quality” when I swapped the unit.

Any thought about using a relay?

Thanks again for the help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 09:40 AM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Just so you know, the E85/E86 didn't offer an option with a "center channel on the dash"
Maybe the illumination uses PWM? If so, use one of the exterior light outputs on the LSZ or trigger a relay off one of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
ccav
Registered
Rep

Thanks

I am attempting to locate a low output relay. PAC TR4 is showing it is good down to .8 volts, just checking to ensure it can handle 12v input.

Appreciate the info
Appreciate 0