ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
primm907
Private
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS

Am I crazy?

Good friend has decided to sell his loaded '14 Cayman S PDK with only 12k miles on it. I know him and the car well. It got me thinking about selling a couple of vehicles and consolidating down to something like the Porsche to daily. Would mean putting the supercharged Z4MR on the block, though...
I'm struggling with the fact that the Z is so clean and only has 12,500 miles on the clock. Plus, I just ensured all maintenance is current and put new wheels and tires on it.
Timing never seems to be optimal!
Attached Images

M2 - Ordered
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 02:57 AM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Yea, you're crazy.
You'll regret the Volkswagen.
      03-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

If you know the Cayman then you knows the pros and cons - Cayman is no doubt a superior vehicle for DD and track - but lacks the visceral experience of driving a Z4M... So what's important to you? Performance and daily tractability, or engagement?
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
boca1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 z4 3.0si

what do you daily currently
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

are you looking for a long term relationship or a fling?

I went from a z4 coupe 3.0si to a 2014 cayman S

I loved the driving experience of the cayman, it definitely brought me more smiles per mile

but after 6 months, I missed the z4 coupe. It spoke to me in a way the cayman never did.

does you z4m speak to you in a special way? If so don't make the move

if it doesn't and it really is just about the driving experience, go for it
Appreciate 2
Rekla105.00
      03-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Crazy.

I bought my first Z4MC new in 2007. Kept it for 8 years, loved it the entire time. In 2015 I let a lust for an E39 M5 lure me away. Shortly after making the swap, I was losing interest in the M5 and longing for my beloved Z4MC. It took me till last November to get around to righting that mistake. I won't be letting go of this one. They're just special cars, and are getting increasingly rarer, and becoming more widely appreciated, as time goes on.
      03-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Simple solution: keep both. They're both icons in their own right.
Then you have your open top BMW vert and a slicktop Porsche.

In a similar situation looking at 911's but would rather add than trade.
Appreciate 2
wdb4718.00
      03-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
Z4M_Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Porsche's are spectacular vehicles without a doubt, BUT the Z4M....it's a totally different animal, especially considering yours has such low miles on it and a lovely blower. Keep it, you'll regret selling it. I can't count on my fingers how many people I know that sold their Z4M's for something "New or Better", I can say 95% of them hate themselves now.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4M_GT3 View Post
Porsche's are spectacular vehicles without a doubt, BUT the Z4M....it's a totally different animal, especially considering yours has such low miles on it and a lovely blower. Keep it, you'll regret selling it. I can't count on my fingers how many people I know that sold their Z4M's for something "New or Better", I can say 95% of them hate themselves now.

I repeat it all over these boards...Z4M or S2000...don't sell. Not a month goes by where I don't read about someone who regrets getting rid of one or the other. I know I won't sell mine. It ticks all the right boxes and is too rare/complete a package.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

I have and plan in keeping my M Coupe but I do regret so much selling my M Roadster.... Yea it is hard to not regret... nothing is like the Z4M out there. Amen.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #11
primm907
Private
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS

I truly appreciate all the responses and "sanity" check. Currently the daily is a '17 GTI that has a JB4 thrown on for good measure. Honestly, it's great for the intended purpose. I suppose I just get easily bored and look for something different way too often. Probably one of my greatest regrets is selling a 5k mile Lotus Exige... definitely should've kept that one! Your cumulative replies have me firmly back on the proper path now. 😉
M2 - Ordered
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

PDK.... missing a third pedal. Snore.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
3798j11379.00
      03-17-2019, 06:20 AM   #13
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by primm907 View Post
Good friend has decided to sell his loaded '14 Cayman S PDK with only 12k miles on it. I know him and the car well. It got me thinking about selling a couple of vehicles and consolidating down to something like the Porsche to daily. Would mean putting the supercharged Z4MR on the block, though...
I'm struggling with the fact that the Z is so clean and only has 12,500 miles on the clock. Plus, I just ensured all maintenance is current and put new wheels and tires on it.
Timing never seems to be optimal!
I own a Z4m coupe and a 2014 cayman. Both are amazing and will go down as two of the greatest cars of all time. I find the bmw more exciting out of the two, but the Porsche has a nicer interior and is just easier to live with as it's more modern. If one of my cars needs to go, I'd probably keep the bmw though. There's just something about it. But maybe you have other factors. If I do actually sell one I know my wife will push for the bmw to be gone because the 981 is pdk which means she can drive it. She also likes the updated tech.

You are left with a tough decision and truly these are two of the all time great cars so you can't entirely lose. I still lean towards the bmw though. The steering is the thing that gives it the edge for me.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #14
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Simple solution: keep both. They're both icons in their own right.
Then you have your open top BMW vert and a slicktop Porsche.

In a similar situation looking at 911's but would rather add than trade.
The 981 cayman I believe is better than any 911. I know that it doesn't have a sunroof and back up cameras weren't available and it has less power, but the 981 was soooo good at the way it felt moving around corners. My driveway is a 981 cayman and a Z4m coupe (brz as my daily). The cayman is pdk to add a little variety to the situation and so the wife can have one to drive too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 06:28 AM   #15
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
PDK.... missing a third pedal. Snore.
I have 2 manual cars (Z4m coupe and brz) and the Porsche 981 in pdk. It's taken me a while but that might actually be the best way to order the Porsche. I love the pdk in particular. Soooo fast on shifts and the downshifting is really fun. I am sure the aggressive way I downshift everyday will eventually break it, but for now it's really fun. That being said, I appreciate it because I have other manuals to drive. If I only had one car, then yes, the Porsche in manual.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17277.50
      03-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
I have 2 manual cars (Z4m coupe and brz) and the Porsche 981 in pdk. It's taken me a while but that might actually be the best way to order the Porsche. I love the pdk in particular. Soooo fast on shifts and the downshifting is really fun. I am sure the aggressive way I downshift everyday will eventually break it, but for now it's really fun. That being said, I appreciate it because I have other manuals to drive. If I only had one car, then yes, the Porsche in manual.
I've just never seen the point of a manumatic transmission. I understand that the PDK is intended to be the best of both worlds and has lighting-quick upshifts due to the dual-clutch design, which makes the car faster. But my opinion is, if you are going to shift the PDK when it can be in automatic mode most of the time, then what is problem with operating the clutch with your left foot? I've driven a manual transmission car my entire life, which is over 1M miles, and have never found where operating a foot clutch has been problematic. Most people think driving in traffic is difficult(?), or annoying(?), or requires additional thought(?) with a 3-pedal car, but if that is so because their right hand is needed for shifting, then what is the difference if it is a lever or paddle when using a manumatic (dual-clutch manuals are rare in common road cars)? If you need a hand movement and a decision when to shift a manumatic, why does a foot clutch make it more difficult?

Pull a lever and the car shifts I think would get boring after a few uses. Adding the foot operation makes the shifting process more engaging due to the coordination required, which is why most enthusiasts enjoy driving a 3-pedal machine.

I have one automatic vehicle, it's a V-8 pickup truck that had no option for a manual, I was able to burnout 3rd gear in a mere 75,000 miles because the 4-speed auto makes is programmed for fuel economy not performance. If it wasn't 4WD and no bolt-on way to do it, I'd have converted it to a manual rather than rebuild the auto.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
ShawnPaul109.50
      03-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #17
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Every comparison test between the Cayman and the BMW Z4M has always favored the Porsche. Why? Refinement, composure,ease of shifting ,ride,etc. If thats what u want go for the Cayman. I have all those qualities in my other cars so when I take the Z4m out I revel in the raucous sound, challenging controls, stiff and immediate ride and steering etc. The short gearing in the first four gears makes the car feel on edge. The Cayman can go 80 in second gear. Totally different setup. I yearn for the "Frankenstein" Z because it was supposedly designed by German engineers and lots of Bavarian beer one long night. Its got tons of character because of that and feels special due to its combination of high strung engine, seating position,and fat steering wheel.
Appreciate 2
ShawnPaul109.50
Lucky1647.00
      03-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
Every comparison test between the Cayman and the BMW Z4M has always favored the Porsche. Why? Refinement, composure,ease of shifting ,ride,etc. If thats what u want go for the Cayman. I have all those qualities in my other cars so when I take the Z4m out I revel in the raucous sound, challenging controls, stiff and immediate ride and steering etc. The short gearing in the first four gears makes the car feel on edge. The Cayman can go 80 in second gear. Totally different setup. I yearn for the "Frankenstein" Z because it was supposedly designed by German engineers and lots of Bavarian beer one long night. Its got tons of character because of that and feels special due to its combination of high strung engine, seating position,and fat steering wheel.
I’d love to find out more about that backstory!

My own view is that the simple fact of having to ask if one should keep a Z4M is an indicator that one probably should not.
Appreciate 1
ShawnPaul109.50
      03-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
I've just never seen the point of a manumatic transmission. I understand that the PDK is intended to be the best of both worlds and has lighting-quick upshifts due to the dual-clutch design, which makes the car faster. But my opinion is, if you are going to shift the PDK when it can be in automatic mode most of the time, then what is problem with operating the clutch with your left foot? I've driven a manual transmission car my entire life, which is over 1M miles, and have never found where operating a foot clutch has been problematic. Most people think driving in traffic is difficult(?), or annoying(?), or requires additional thought(?) with a 3-pedal car, but if that is so because their right hand is needed for shifting, then what is the difference if it is a lever or paddle when using a manumatic (dual-clutch manuals are rare in common road cars)? If you need a hand movement and a decision when to shift a manumatic, why does a foot clutch make it more difficult?

Pull a lever and the car shifts I think would get boring after a few uses. Adding the foot operation makes the shifting process more engaging due to the coordination required, which is why most enthusiasts enjoy driving a 3-pedal machine.

I have one automatic vehicle, it's a V-8 pickup truck that had no option for a manual, I was able to burnout 3rd gear in a mere 75,000 miles because the 4-speed auto makes is programmed for fuel economy not performance. If it wasn't 4WD and no bolt-on way to do it, I'd have converted it to a manual rather than rebuild the auto.
I wouldn't do a PDK as an only car, but with 3 sports cars in the household, 2 are manual and the one with PDK offers a different experience. It's the immediate downshifts and the noise as it perfectly matches. I can't downshift or shift as fast. So I kind of like going up and down the gears fast to hear all the interesting noises of the engine changing pitches quickly. Hard to explain. But for sure I wouldn't give up manual, which the other 2 cars are.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Think the Z3 M was more the Frankenstein over beers skunkworks project. Either way I 100% agree about the comparison with the Cayman. This isn't my daily driver and the ragged edge quality and brutality of the car gives it a real sports car like appeal. Its like a German version of a hot rod. The gearbox needs to be muscled for example, the 2 series and M2 is like shifting a wet noodle in melted butter by comparison, and while it may be less "refined" as a result I think it suits the car's character (especially the high strung, high revving engine) and just adds to the experience. Refinement is for my DD 128i which is for a different style and mood.

In the end each car has its own character and purpose. I chased a PDK Cayman on a track and I wasn't a good enough car/driver combination to keep up but I spend only few precious hours on the track each year and don't care which cars are faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 10:21 PM   #21
Hush Paranoia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

The Porsche is beautiful for sure. Decisions, Decisions.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 01:31 AM   #22
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Every comparison test between the Cayman and the BMW Z4M has always favored the Porsche.
Well, not EVERY one... this is Z4MR vs Boxster, but the comparison is still apt...

Richard Hammond really nails the differences.
ShawnPaul109.50