ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

nordshleife crash vid

Still stuck in winter hibernation mode. Just spotted something on you tube- hard to watch- " Hard crash Nordshleife Z4M" . Looks like driver was okay. Imola roady not so much! At least driver was wearing a helmet.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Not good.
      03-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

If it’s the one I think at Brunchen, then that’s from a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

No its Nurburgring- was posted in july
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Here's the video, could have sworn I saw it posted on the forums before as I had seen it but can't seem to have any luck with the search bar.

Appeared as though the driver tried to power through the gravel and didn't touch the brakes until right before hitting the wall.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
No its Nurburgring- was posted in july
Brünnchen is a famous, crowd-pleasing corner at the Nurburgring - affectionately known as Crünnchen

But I could have sworn it was much longer ago that I saw it...but there was another video, of another Imola Z4M (coupe this time) that went into the barrier in the entry to Brünnchen.

(from 2014)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:04 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

wow, notorious track.. don't think id be driving my own car there, id be renting one of those beaters there..

amazing the guys hitting the wall, with no neck protection.. rag doll comes to mind.

Lol, just watching some more of the stack videos from that circuit.. Zero run off.. very dangerous circuit..

I def wouldn't be driving my car there..
      03-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Ditto what Vanne said. I've always said that I'd part with my Montego Blue Z4 3.0si for a nice Imola Red Z4M roadster. So, you can imagine how particularly painful it is for me to see this guy wreck one.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

For the amount of cars there, and the number of laps done, I wouldn’t say it was that dangerous.

But some are HUGE crashes, involving multiple vehicles.

The only thing I wouldn’t drive there would be a motorbike, as an accident there has about a 50/50 chance of causing death or permanent disability.

Wet days are usually safest (as per my avatar), as the speed is lower and the number of people on track at the same time is less.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

He stayed on the throttle when he should have let off when he entered the gravel....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
wow, notorious track.. don't think id be driving my own car there, id be renting one of those beaters there..

amazing the guys hitting the wall, with no neck protection.. rag doll comes to mind.

Lol, just watching some more of the stack videos from that circuit.. Zero run off.. very dangerous circuit..

I def wouldn't be driving my car there..
Shame, as you'll never experience driving by far and away the best track in the world in a great car for it. Yes it's daunting but you don't have to crash your car, just take it easy.
I passed by there last year the day before I had a track day booked at spa francorchamps. The idea was just to do one lap (just to tick the box) , but it was such an amazing experience I had to do another and then I had to have a proper talk to myself to not do any more as Spa was the real reason for the trip.
I was lucky to tag onto a local and it being fairly empty (you need to get there early!) and managed an 8:37 or so.

Spa felt like a kid's track the next day!
All that said, due to the various insurance issues for non German cars I think I will only go back for a dedicated track day rather than a touristenfahrten day (open to the public) in the future as the 3rd party risk is too high for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Lol, Didn't say I wouldent drive there, I just said it's not for my car, I'd rather rent a car from ring garage. I've got to much cash into my car to let some nitwit smash into me/me wreak it.
I've got a 3 series booked for next summer with a mate there. well he's booked it, but we've got 2 cars
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Lol, Didn't say I wouldent drive there, I just said it's not for my car, I'd rather rent a car from ring garage.
The most dangerous aspect of the nordschleife are imho the other road users.
I mean whether you can take the track or not is up to your own control/care/experience/risktaking etc, but especially when its a bit overcrowded there are lots of cars, all with drivers with hugely different levels of experience, ability, self control, and levels of insight to keep yourself to the rules and estimations that others also do that.
For instance this little vid I made once is something that happens all the time.

(you can see that I'm not overtaking this one until the road is absolutely straight )
Who's at fault? The red car clearly is overtaken and goes off his line.
On the other hand it's also completely clear that the red car is a complete novice, a complete dumbwit with a string of cars behind him (even a service car), and the fully stickered m3 which I let overtake is clearly a ring veteran.
Should the ring Vet have expected the red dumbwit not being able to keep his line at that corner even at that low speed?
In the end a car is pushed off the track into the grass at 80mph or thereabout.
Now nothing happed (except some stonechips on my bonnet obviously), but what if the ringvet was also a novice had had lost control being startled and pushed on the grass? (He kept his steeringwheel straigth, but there are people that anxiously start to steer towards the tarmac, resulting in the 2nd wheel getting grip but steered completely in the wrong direction and torpedoing into the opposite guard rail; very common road accident).
The difference in level of driving is huge during TF, especially when its crowded.
With people who have no idea what they must do and with people that are ring vets and expect everyone to know exactly what they have to do and overtake in situations that only can if everyone knows what they should do.
Then again, I've never seen anyone hold themselves to the speed limit on the ring (yes there is one, breidscheid)

That and of course there's usually lots of small amount of coolant and traces of oil on the tarmac from all kinds of leaky cars in questionable state of maintenance. Thats also a huge risk on the ring (as there is almost no room beside the track, there's just the guard rail....)

The nordschleife is also much better than Spa imho.
Spa is of course a real racetrack, but especially the atmosphere around the nordschleife is fantastic.
All the little villages around the Nurburgring breathe motorsport. Everywhere you see groups of sportscars parked etc. Its a whole area dedicated to motoring that breathes life. With hotels, shops, restaurants, performance garages, large motorsports test centers from major manufacturers etc.
Spa is just a track with 1 village where all the restaurants and venues are closed 8 months of the year. It looks shabby and in decay (the village, not the buildings on the track, thats all excellent although not as pristine as only the germans can do that). Its really only the track.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-18-2019 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00
      03-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #14
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Lol, Didn't say I wouldent drive there, I just said it's not for my car, I'd rather rent a car from ring garage. I've got to much cash into my car to let some nitwit smash into me/me wreak it.
I've got a 3 series booked for next summer with a mate there. well he's booked it, but we've got 2 cars
I think you misread me?
"Shame, as you'll never experience driving by far and away the best track in the world in a great car for it."
You'll have fun in anything round there though tbh, even a 3 series!
MC IB, CSL intake, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, RPI, AP f&r w/RSL-29, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW CS, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, VT engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6s, custom half cage, UUC ssk, M5 knob, oem strutbrace
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #15
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Spa is of course a real racetrack, but especially the atmosphere around the nordschleife is fantastic.
All the little villages around the Nurburgring breathe motorsport. Everywhere you see groups of sportscars parked etc. Its a whole area dedicated to motoring that breathes life. With hotels, shops, restaurants, performance garages, large motorsports test centers from major manufacturers etc.
Spa is just a track with 1 village where all the restaurants and venues are closed 8 months of the year. It looks shabby and in decay (the village, not the buildings on the track, thats all excellent although not as pristine as only the germans can do that). Its really only the track.
This 100%, to experience the car culture around the whole area is something else, blew me away
MC IB, CSL intake, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, RPI, AP f&r w/RSL-29, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW CS, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, VT engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6s, custom half cage, UUC ssk, M5 knob, oem strutbrace
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #16
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Lol sorry Tom, must have read that the wrong way mate.
Sounds amazing, esp the apre-ski looking forwards to it. Were only there for 2 days. I've been to Spa, amazing cxt, I've been to most major tracks there in Europe and a few in UK too, following the 250cc Euro/international/gp races. (Though haven't driven them myself) ,(Back in 1998-2001) amazing stuff and my fave is still Le-man.

Not sure how it works there, but here the general rule is, if your slower in a corner than a faster guy, you stay on the racing line and it's up to the faster guy to manoeuvre around you. Forcing people off the racing line (on a non race) is a mugs game.

Really looking forwards to it, might have to do a lap or 2 on PC2, or asseto Corsa to famill myself before then.

Last edited by Vanne; 03-18-2019 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #17
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Lol sorry Tom, must have read that the wrong way mate.
Sounds amazing, esp the apre-ski looking forwards to it. Were only there for 2 days. I've been to Spa, amazing cxt, I've been to most major tracks there in Europe and a few in UK too, following the 250cc Euro/international/gp races. (Though haven't driven them myself) ,(Back in 1998-2001) amazing stuff and my fave is still Le-man.

Not sure how it works there, but here the general rule is, if your slower in a corner than a faster guy, you stay on the racing line and it's up to the faster guy to manoeuvre around you. Forcing people off the racing line (on a non race) is a mugs game.

Really looking forwards to it, might have to do a lap or 2 on PC2, or asseto Corsa to famill myself before then.
The overtaking rules on a track day at the Ring (explained during the track day briefing) are different to a public day (when it’s a public road covered by public road laws, rules, insurance, as noted when you buy your tickets and at the barriers when you enter the circuit).

On a public day you stay to the right unless overtaking. If you pull onto the racing line, in front of an overtaking car, and collide then you’ll be the one with the big insurance bill.

Either way, it’s much safer to keep out of the way of faster cars, or let them overtake and then chase them
Appreciate 0