ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #23
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

OP, when you were there did you run into any of the babushkas of Chernobyl.

Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      10-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #24
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
That's really fascinating. Did you have a tour guide with you?
yep the group that i was in like 15 people..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
Good post. I've done quite a bit of research on this subject and find it very interesting. Can you believe there are still several RBMK reactors still in operation?
yeah actually today also there should be 3 or 4 reactors still running in Ukraine.. in Chernobyl other 3 reactors were working even after the disaster after some time they were shut down but initial idea seems deploying 6-8 reactors in that area.. there even unfinished constructions from that time around the area..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
yco....great post. Did you watch Chernobyl Heart? Documentary from 2003. My Aunt, Maryann DeLeo won an Academy Award for it. I was at the award ceremony with my family.

She went to all those places, and had to wear protective equipment for some high radiation zones. But the saddest thing is how the land is so contaminated still all these years later, which has caused high numbers of birth defects and disease.

It’s a very moving and eye opening documentary. Here’s a qwik trailer...
thank you.. and yes i watched it before but i can watch again though cheers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
OP, when you were there did you run into any of the babushkas of Chernobyl.

havent seen one..
i was there like 2-3 weeks ago.. though i was in a one day tour which there are tours up to 7 days.. probably these babushkas are living in the places i havent been.. its good to see them on vid at least.. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Thanks for putting that together. Visiting Chernobyl is on my list. Any other video/photos to share?
yeah i have but i used the best ones in the video.. though this one is not in the video also.. wish i took a vid of this scene.. i donno what i was thinking..

Appreciate 2
      10-24-2018, 03:03 AM   #25
Ivan Ivanov
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: X1, X3

Excellent video - respect to operator! What music is in the video?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #26
Johnny_Bravo
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335i

Just watched a video last night of this, where scientists went back in to see what the affects have been so far. Their findings were fascinating as mother nature has been slowly adapting and cleaning herself up, and things like horses, and the fish in the water and such have been modifying their DNA to survive.

Fukashima is terrifying as I have a feeling with what's been leeching into the ocean, that we are still just scratching the surface of this one.

This, as well as Base Camp on Mt. Everest are both on my bucket list to visit.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

As bad as Chernobyl and Fukushima are, it is going to pale in comparison as to what man made climate change is going to do.

Plus how about the totality of events like WW2? As a whole that devastated the environment and the people in them far worse than these incidents. At least yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Found this on the Tube today.

It provides a pretty detailed accounting of the damage within the reactor building and all the efforts up to now on containment.

PS..the background music is annoying at times.
Appreciate 3
yco5722.50
      01-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #29
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Found this on the Tube today.

It provides a pretty detailed accounting of the damage within the reactor building and all the efforts up to now on containment.

PS..the background music is annoying at times.
Pretty scary that Russia had no regard for human lives and they put all those people in harms way to closer that thing up. If something similar happen in the US or the EU, do you think they could force or pay people enough money to put themselves in harm way for a slow and painful death.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #30
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Pretty scary that Russia had no regard for human lives and they put all those people in harms way to closer that thing up. If something similar happen in the US or the EU, do you think they could force or pay people enough money to put themselves in harm way for a slow and painful death.
Agree with the USSR and disregard for human life - this isn't even close to the most compelling example of that (read the Gulag Archipelago or look up the Belomor Canal).

Hard to tell who was genuinely a brave volunteer, and who is being used for propaganda purposes.

From a U.S. perspective this is an example though of where the National Guard and other military forces come in - just like rushing into combat.

However, there are stories from the free world of bravery from civilians in the face of such disaster that are amazing:

Japanese seniors volunteer for Fukushima 'suicide corps':

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/31/japan.nuclear.suicide/index.html
Appreciate 0