ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Best tire size for New 2 me Z4

I just got my 1s Bimmer today!!!! It has Bridgestone Potenza RFT, stock size 225/45/17 on all 4 wheels. It rides like a farm wagon on steel wheels. My question is, will there be any interference if I go to 245/50/17's in a conventional performance tire? I'm more in to comfort that whipping around corners. It appears that they will fit, being one inch in diameter larger than the 225/45/17s.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      08-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmcst View Post
I just got my 1s Bimmer today!!!! It has Bridgestone Potenza RFT, stock size 225/45/17 on all 4 wheels. It rides like a farm wagon on steel wheels. My question is, will there be any interference if I go to 245/50/17's in a conventional performance tire? I'm more in to comfort that whipping around corners. It appears that they will fit, being one inch in diameter larger than the 225/45/17s.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Congratulations. And yes, RFTs are just like that!!!

Check out this thread and this post. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?p=9566844 I think it might point in the right direction. Looks like a 245 will fit with the right offsets and right (wider) wheel.

I am not a fan of putting the max with possible tire on a given rim size. The tire will perform poorly, relative to being on the right size wheel, and you're not really gaining much. Track experimentation attests to this. A 245 on a 9" wheel is another world compared to stuffing a 245 on an 8" wheel.

Honestly, if you're not pushing the car to the limit around corners I'd just go with the stock sizes and ditch the RFTs and get Pilot Super Sports which have a softer sidewall (even amongst other tires), are great in rain, quiet and comfortable.

I pretty much run these on 17s 225 front 255 rear on my Z3M and they're wonderful. Sure, I can blast corners faster with 265 square set-up, but I don't need that on public roads. Track? Sure.

Smaller tires are cheaper too, and I think the steering feedback is a bit better, and, less unsprung weight.

Just get a emergency pump and a puncture kit and you're set.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Check out this thread and this post. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?p=9566844 I think it might point in the right direction. Looks like a 245 will fit with the right offsets and right (wider) wheel.

I am not a fan of putting the max with possible tire on a given rim size. The tire will perform poorly, relative to being on the right size wheel, and you're not really gaining much. Track experimentation attests to this. A 245 on a 9" wheel is another world compared to stuffing a 245 on an 8" wheel.

Honestly, if you're not pushing the car to the limit around corners I'd just go with the stock sizes and ditch the RFTs and get Pilot Super Sports which have a softer sidewall (even amongst other tires), are great in rain, quiet and comfortable.

I pretty much run these on 17s 225 front 255 rear on my Z3M and they're wonderful. Sure, I can blast corners faster with 265 square set-up, but I don't need that on public roads. Track? Sure.

Smaller tires are cheaper too, and I think the steering feedback is a bit better, and, less unsprung weight.

Thanks Finnegan for your thoughtful response. It's guys like you that make this forum so good.
The sock tire on this car are the 225/45/17 all square. It's not the sport model. Perfect for this old geezer. I'm a fan of the General G MAX 05 AS. I had them on my Miata and was quite happy with them. I'll check out the Super Sports before I buy.
I do carry a pump in both our cars. Good advice for any one.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      08-29-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Thanks Finnegan for your thoughtful response. It's guys like you that make this forum so good.
The sock tire on this car are the 225/45/17 all square. It's not the sport model. Perfect for this old geezer. I'm a fan of the General G MAX 05 AS. I had them on my Miata and was quite happy with them. I'll check out the Super Sports before I buy.
I do carry a pump in both our cars. Good advice for any one.
Square is nice for rotating tires. If you like those tires that's great. Super Sports aren't cheap, I just like their road manners and wet grip. Any non RFT is going to be better than those RFTs .
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
245/50-17 is wayyy too tall. That’s 26.5” vs factory of 25”. You’re better off going 235/45 (non-rft) on the factory 17x8” rims in my opinion.
      08-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
245/50-17 is wayyy too tall. That’s 26.5” vs factory of 25”. You’re better off going 235/45 (non-rft) on the factory 17x8” rims in my opinion.
I used the stock 225/45 route. The tire shop was concerned that the 225/50 may rub in turns. A monumental improvement over the RFT!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I used the stock 225/45 route. The tire shop was concerned that the 225/50 may rub in turns. A monumental improvement over the RFT!!!
Appreciate 0