ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

I'm still so excited (even though you didn't really answer my question hehe )

Anyway, pardon my ignorance if I've missed it in a previous thread - but what is your background or what is it that you do professionally?

It sure sounds like it's related to these processes and fabrication, but I'm just curious as I'm sure others are. We're all so excited about the possibility of the part and the thought of someone stepping up to the plate to give it a go that either everybody already knows except for me, or nobody cares what your background is as long as you can pop out a piece that fits.. :rofl:

Again, just asking out of sheer curiousity. Not trying to stir the pot.
      05-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #24
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
I'm unsure where you picked up the thought that this clear roof was being Injection Molded ?
I just got the thought of injection molding from your first post when you mention the "UV inhibitor infused in its semi-liquid construction." Being that you're working with a thermoplastic I just figured it was injection molding or vacuuforming and if you were vacuuforming it wouldn't really have a point in which it was a liquid. That's just where the thought (as ill conceived as it may have been) came from. I have an IE education, but as that isn't my profession it's only enough to get me in trouble :P

With respect to the flex, my guess would try to keep it as close to stock as possible. I wouldn't necessarily want any acrylic or PC piece being load bearing which may occur if the piece is too rigid and the frame of the car flexes around it. Not saying that as a plus or a minus for the bubbles or not because it can be engineered either way for the desired characteristics. Maybe the substructure you're building would deflect any load around the acrylic pieces. Just one more thing to consider.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB F82, 2018 AW F86

"Will there be unusual lensing of the optics in those zones ? Perhaps.....but doing a shapeless convex (otherwise flat) roof might be quite boring...or at the worst lose personality."

totally agree - want to keep my bubbles :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
I'm still so excited (even though you didn't really answer my question hehe )

Anyway, pardon my ignorance if I've missed it in a previous thread - but what is your background or what is it that you do professionally?

It sure sounds like it's related to these processes and fabrication, but I'm just curious as I'm sure others are. We're all so excited about the possibility of the part and the thought of someone stepping up to the plate to give it a go that either everybody already knows except for me, or nobody cares what your background is as long as you can pop out a piece that fits.. :rofl:

Again, just asking out of sheer curiosity. Not trying to stir the pot.
No worries ...its all relative. I am currently employed as an ME in a somewhat un-related industry.

My composites/plastics grasp comes from working as an R&D ME for 10 years. I was responsible for quick prototype design and troubleshooting.

This project as with others I'm developing ...are all in line with my history and experience. I love doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
I just got the thought of injection molding from your first post when you mention the "UV inhibitor infused in its semi-liquid construction." Being that you're working with a thermoplastic I just figured it was injection molding or vacuuforming and if you were vacuuforming it wouldn't really have a point in which it was a liquid. That's just where the thought (as ill conceived as it may have been) came from. I have an IE education, but as that isn't my profession it's only enough to get me in trouble :P

Oh I see now where you got this. I was more referring to the way the UV and color tints are introduced by the bulk sheet manufacturer.

With respect to the flex, my guess would try to keep it as close to stock as possible. I wouldn't necessarily want any acrylic or PC piece being load bearing which may occur if the piece is too rigid and the frame of the car flexes around it. Not saying that as a plus or a minus for the bubbles or not because it can be engineered either way for the desired characteristics. Maybe the substructure you're building would deflect any load around the acrylic pieces. Just one more thing to consider.
Bear in mind...the OEM metal roof is BOLTED on as well as adhered with sealer.

Its a pretty lightweight part to be honest. Which leads me to believe one of two things exist here.

1)-BMW engineers made the roof and its substructure with flex in mind (Or) >

2)-Flex is only there due to lightweight material stiffness to save production costs and the outer roof surrounding chassis frame is plenty stiff on its own merit.

My prototype will be a good test on some rough roads and hot days. I planned on corner jacking the car too to see what occurs whithin the flush points of fit.

Last edited by Twisted Six; 02-19-2014 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #27
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

some techy-wizardry going on here behind the scenes, albeit i'm willing to bet the roof was a cost-saving measure considering the frame of the car itself already returned such massive stiffness numbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
some techy-wizardry going on here behind the scenes, albeit i'm willing to bet the roof was a cost-saving measure considering the frame of the car itself already returned such massive stiffness numbers.
THIS ^^^
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #29
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Exciting!!! Subscribed for updates.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #30
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 15 i3, 17 M3 Frz Wht

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i  [7.00]
cool! im subscribed too even though im in a roadster :P
      05-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #31
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

this sounds siiiick!

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #32
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for your interest.

Although I already have one steel roof to mold from...the 2nd roof fell through on obtaining before the car was crushed.

I can work faster if I have multiple steel roofs to build molds from at one time.....so if ANYONE knows of a Coupe being parted down....PLEASE let me know in a PM so I can act upon it.

Thanks, Vinny
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #33
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your interest.

Although I already have one steel roof to mold from...the 2nd roof fell through on obtaining before the car was crushed.

I can work faster if I have multiple steel roofs to build molds from at one time.....so if ANYONE knows of a Coupe being parted down....PLEASE let me know in a PM so I can act upon it.

Thanks, Vinny
Noooooo!! Our first setback!
      05-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #34
Smurfskier
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0

Dark Schnitzer...... So I see in your sig that your car is in front of ORD headquarters in California. Neat place I got invited out their and shown all the labs and stuff a couple years ago. Have you done work their? That would explain your background with the materials.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #35
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
Noooooo!! Our first setback!
Not bad though...just not as efficient for now,lol.

Brand new set of AERO side skirts showed up today though. Those will be cool parts in the line-up I believe !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfskier View Post
Dark Schnitzer...... So I see in your sig that your car is in front of ORD headquarters in California. Neat place I got invited out their and shown all the labs and stuff a couple years ago. Have you done work their? That would explain your background with the materials.
Oakley plant is nearby in Orange County.....just thought is was a cool place for a photo. I have had no affiliation with them aside from spending too much money on their glass's,lol.

I meant to post a pic of the first composite coupe hatch that was test fitted on my Z last year. I'll be using this successful mold to make CF hatches soon .

Its going to be a very busy next year I foresee..............
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #36
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Is this hatch already available in a fiberglass / plastic version ? I'd love to shed some extra weight while retaining the stock look!
      05-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #37
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Is this hatch already available in a fiberglass / plastic version ? I'd love to shed some extra weight while retaining the stock look!
Yes. I can build it in Fiberglass and primed ,or full Carbon (painted or cleared), depending on your wants.

I have a rear hatch glass coming to mold a OEM fitment Polycarbonate rear lightweight glass replacement as we type.But still in the works/details.

If need be...you can also re-install OEM glass....but its also heavy...if weight is indeed your goal.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:03 AM   #38
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Brand new set of AERO side skirts showed up today though. Those will be cool parts in the line-up I believe !
Nice! Those are about $500+shipping for both OEM. What's your goal with these?
      05-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #39
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Nice! Those are about $500+shipping for both OEM. What's your goal with these?
535.00$ To be exact.

My plan is to build molds from them and offer them in stock form as well as a NACA-type cooling duct for the rear brakes. Something unseen design-wise .

Something functioning for tracked cars....and sexy for street.

These will likely be Resin Infusion E-glass and only in CF with special order to control final price.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #40
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
offer them in stock form as well as a NACA-type cooling duct for the rear brakes. Something unseen design-wise .
Now that's a novel idea.................
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #41
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

This thread is chock full of WIN!!!!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #42
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

I cannot wait to see all these products come into play. do you have a general list of the pieces you are producing/ will be producing? and im sure prices come later?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #43
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
I cannot wait to see all these products come into play. do you have a general list of the pieces you are producing/ will be producing? and im sure prices come later?
Prices will come into view once final parts are developed and mounted and all revisions are solid.

My goal is to make these all more affordable than say the 'Varis' line.....not to mention stateside for shipping.

Line-up items are >>(All available in V-Weave 2x2 or 4x4 Twill or standard full Twill (no V-weave)

1)- CF roof & Full CF-Kevlar hybrid roof.
2)--CF Hatch & E-Glass Hatch.
3)--Aero composite side skirts.
4)--Aero brake cooled side skirts.
5)--M' hood vented and stock.
6)--3D front splitter.
7)--Rear functional diffuser for M' covers.
8)--S.I. front splitter.
9)--Polycarbonate or Acrylic-street clear-tinted roofs.with headliner.
10)-Polycarbonate rear hatch glass replacement.
11)-CF increased flow air scoop.

Even more to come......but we all know these take time to bring to the market.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #44
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

awesome stuff man. You have some great ideas. i know that im on board with the roof, vented hood, and rear diffuser
Appreciate 0