ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

DXB int circuit 8/3/19

So a bunch of us met at the track yesterday, DXB Autodrome (my local), for a grand day out.
Open track day from 8am to 12 am, open pits and pit lane.

After prepping the car, installing a new Braille battery and some other hiccups with work, we all met at the brief at 8am, with big grins all around. Had a coffee, talked rubbish with some of the guys and then headed out to the paddock, to do final preps. (camera mounts, wheel nuts, tire px, removing anything loose, and then getting suited up)

The start siren goes off while I am still doing stuff (is it me, or is there always soo much still to do just before hand, like there is never enough time) so cars start heading out, while I am doing tire pressures.. My mate starts egging me on about, come on.. any time now and all that

Just about to jump into the car, and all the cars come back in again... seems someone caught on fire on the frisking warm up lap... (they, him and pax got out okay though) so car hasta be removed from the track before we get to go out.. gives me an extra 15 mins to finish what ever I was doing and have a quick coffee before donning the helmet.

Great!!

we head out and (I always) leave traction on for the first 2 laps while I warm up the tires and get into the groove of things, while other guys are fanging on past me on cold rubber. One guy even chucks itinside me on turn 6 (on the freaking warmup lap) :rofl: (guy in a BRZ, or 86, hard to tell those apart)

after passing the start stop for the 2nd time, I turn off everything (including aircon :P l which I have had nicely running up to now to give me some cool cool breeze and proceed to get on the throttle. Car is handling like a complete dream, and more so after a few laps, when the tires are really up to heat/px.

I come in after 3 or 4 laps and get my mate to remove the tow hook (which has come astray from its position in the boot, my fault, should have checked it before hand , remember all those little things you need to do before donning that helmet), check tire px and I head back out.

another easy lap to get tires back up to heat, and then get on it. Turned in some really nice laps, but traffic in the way a lot. Thats ok, thats how it rolls. after I do about 13 laps. (1/2 tank of gas..lol) some okay ones. (2.05)
I start chasing this super charged mini, (I find out later he's on slicks lol) and slowly but surely start catching up to him, but then disaster strikes and on downshifting just before turn 3, the clutch slave cylinder lets go and leaves me stuck in neutral..

I pull off the track just after coasting past turn 4 and remove myself way, way from any position where I or my car might be a hinder/issue...

Lol, I jump outa the car, have a quick look and then jump back in trying to engage the clutch.. nothing.. can't get it into gear at all..
remove my helmet, and do the walk of shame back to the paddock.. lol.. still grinning from ear to ear.. lol

Car gets towed back to the pits, where I then have another look see, and pretty much determine the the clutch slave cylinder.. (car goes nicely into gear when engine isn't running) .. organise a flat bed tow truck and then share the drive home with the tow truck driver, who proceeds to show me pics of his LS2 modded 86 corolla.. lol..

What an AWESOME day!!! .

got home, cracked a beer and will look at the car today...