ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
Krimbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E86

Question Exhaust Noisiness - please help! (Angry Cop)

Hey guys, so I decided to do the Angry Cop, and I'm really torn with it. She sounds beautiful but generally a bit too bloody loud, especially 2.7k-3.7k, about 68mph to be exact is where it's too loud and boomy for my liking. I'm not sure if it's overall too loud or if it's a drone (how do you tell?)

So for those of you unfamiliar with the Angry Cop. Image below. Basically the stock resonator is swapped for the Magnaflow 12468 muffler and the original backbox/muffler is deleted. So it's essentially a performance muffler relocated to the center, with a resonator delete. The name originates from an old Zpost member called Angry Cop who came up with this idea in 2012.

Now the terms resonator and silencer are always thrown around but what's the actual difference? From what I've kind of understood is a muffler lowers the overall noise and the resonator cancels out a specific frequency.

With that in mind, what would you guys suggest I would need to do to solve my issue. Would a couple of single resonators on the pipes leading into the new muffler do the trick?

Thanks for the advice in advance guys!

Here's a couple of sound clips (had a slight leak off the downpipe in this which is now gone) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqEfWHNgn8o
Appreciate 0