ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Schadenfreude

Have you experienced a satisfaction when you see someone gets what's coming to them? Instant karma so to speak.

I've only seen it once when some a-hole was trying to muscle through the shoulder lane during a traffic jam only to be blocked by a car in front which happened to be a patrol car!

Share your moment of joy.
Appreciate 4
MKSixer34171.50
vreihen1614883.50
      05-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Years ago Wifey and I were going to a family function in NH. We drove across NY state and into VT and were heading up Rte 9 out of Bennington after having lunch there. I had my 2001 740iL at the time. As we began to hit the twisty sections, we came up behind a woman driving a Plymouth K car. She was moving along fine and I kept my distance behind her. Then she slowed way down to about half the posted speed limit and started giving me the finger in her rearview mirror. Wifey and I were like, WTF? I figure she had a thing about BMW drivers or something. Then she started in with the brake jobs. The few places where I had room to pass, she'd speed up and cut over to keep me behind her. It was like that Dennis Weaver movie Duel. I think he was in a K car as well, come to think of it.

Anyway, eventually we hit an area where I could take advantage of the power differential in our cars and I zipped by her. But she wouldn't let it go. She tailgated me and then forced her way by in a situation where we were going to collide if I didn't back off. Finally we got into the serious hills and the road opened up to two lanes. I zipped past her and kept going, putting some distance between us. A bit later she managed to catch up in another two lane area and flew by me honking the horn and giving me the finger. Right then my radar detector lit up and I saw an unmarked cruiser go by in the opposite direction. I backed way off when it lit up, but she didn't. She was doing a good 20MPH over the limit when the cop went by. He pulled a u-turn and came flying up behind me, but went right by and around the bend chasing after her. After a few more turns, I saw her pulled over with the cop pulled up behind her. As we went past, he didn't even glance at me. But I know she saw me smiling and waving as I went by.

I figure she *really* hated BMW drivers after that.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 05-21-2020 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 10
MKSixer34171.50
GenXer1351.00
Dpc2u11503.00
Murf99314114.00
Rmtt8206.00
KRS_SN13100.00
Germanauto9665.50
RickFLM410879.00
      05-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]

Two for the price of one.

<drops mic>
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 7
Dpc2u11503.00
Murf99314114.00
King Rudi13152.00
upstatedoc7555.50
Germanauto9665.50
      05-18-2020, 03:18 AM   #4
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

As a German I was attracted by the title to hop in here for a look. What brought you up to use this instead of your mother tongue?

To reply to this:
For years ago a dude did a lot of swearing to himself for no obvious reason and he did his little own shamewalk into a zig-zag manner around all obstacles. Short before approaching a pedestrian crossing a convertible driver was yelling kinda STFU to him and distracted him shortly from watching his walkway...he slammed well into a street lamp

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
GenXer1351.00
      05-18-2020, 03:40 AM   #5
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i know a man that been blocked from everywhere thus couldnt swear properly to make himself feel better.. so he comes up with an idea to transfer a small amount of money and write in the description.. f you..
      05-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Roughly 10-12 years ago. I'm on my way to work, traveling I-40 west bound. I drive fast. Out of nowhere, some jack ass in a Mustang is all over my ass. Again, I drive fast. If you have the ability to actually get on my ass, it's clearly intentional. The guy annoys the hell out of me for a few miles. I eventually tap my brakes and slow way down just to get the guy away from me. He speed around me almost clipping the car in the other lane and recklessly speeds off. A few miles further down the interstate, this moron has veered off the interstate, lost control of his Mustang (I realize what a shock this is to most of you reading along) and is now sitting 10-12 feet in the air as his beloved Mustang is resting on top of a group of saplings. I have never seen such a thing before or after this incident. Apparently the saplings weren't big enough to break or snap upon impact, but the small trees where just strong enough to bend and lift his car up. As I drove by, he was attempting to get out of his car, which in my opinion was another idiot move considering how unstable it was resting on top of sapplings. No clue what the end result was, but instant Karma was dealt. I laughed my ass off and told everyone the rest of the day. Wish I had time to snap a pic as I drove by.
Appreciate 7
Joekerr7926.00
Rmtt8206.00
wrickem2101.00
quick6750.50
Germanauto9665.50
RickFLM410879.00
      05-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
As a German I was attracted by the title to hop in here for a look. What brought you up to use this instead of your mother tongue?

To reply to this:
For years ago a dude did a lot of swearing to himself for no obvious reason and he did his little own shamewalk into a zig-zag manner around all obstacles. Short before approaching a pedestrian crossing a convertible driver was yelling kinda STFU to him and distracted him shortly from watching his walkway...he slammed well into a street lamp
It was the Simpsons
Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
Dang3r12503.00
      05-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

This is where I live every single Browns' season

I looooooooove to listen to all the delusional Browns' fans from pre-season to post-season

Last several seasons was an unbelievable time for this.

Pre-season: I got to listen to Clowns' fan talk about, "having 2 of the best receivers in the NFL!"
"OMG when Kareem Hunt gets back from suspension, we'll have the playoffs locked up and he'll get us to the Super Bowl."
"PLAYOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS!!!!!!'
"On paper, we are the best team in the league!!!"
"OMG Freddie is the greatest hire since we came back."

During the season: "Fucking Refs, They don't want us to win!"
"What if this, what if that, blah blah."
2 games in: "Freddie has no idea what he's doing."
"Refs, Feddie, Goodell, raaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr."

Post season: "We've got 7 picks in the draft!!!!"
"kevin stefanski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Faker Mayfield was in his sophomore slump. This year is his MVP Breakout year (His 1st year was supposed to be his breakout/MVP year too) OBJ is the best receiver in the league."

To quote the great comedian Kenny Bania, "That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      05-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:

To reply to this:
Why not farfegnugen?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Does the english language have an expression that captures this concept in one word? (apart for schadenfreude probably being an official loanword)

In dutch we have a similar word which would literally translate to "Trauerunterhaltung" (or even Trauerfreude) I think into german, so very similar.
Most dutchies will understand "Schadenfreude" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
It was the Simpsons
Luckily Lisa also gives it's social level of acceptance
(although it looks like it sits deep in our evolution, one could argue that one who doesn't experience it, isn't really human anymore)
The only form of Schadenfreude that I can't stand, is the one that comes from envy. (and of course ones that come from people that get seriously hurt when it's not really their fault)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-18-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
GenXer1351.00
      05-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #11
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Does the english language have an expression that captures this concept in one word? (apart for schadenfreude probably being an official loanword)

In dutch we have a similar word which would literally translate to "Trauerunterhaltung" (or even Trauerfreude) I think into german, so very similar.

(although it looks like it sits deep in our evolution, one could argue that one who doesn't experience it, isn't really human anymore)
The only form of Schadenfreude that I can't stand, is the one that comes from envy. (and of course ones that come from people that get seriously hurt when it's not really their fault)
I don't think so. We aren't that cold-blooded.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      05-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Lol
Still it's strange. I mean English, Dutch and German are the only 3 west germanic languages, and English doesn't have either a germanic based wordcomposition or a french based loandword for such a common emotion.
Maybe wordcompositions aren't that common in English (Dutch is probably the world champion when it comes to wordcompositions)

Gloating maybe partly covers it (I guess it would be glee?) but it's more a state of self fulfillingness I think. Spitefulness also not really I think.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #13
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

I used to work for a telecom provider. My job was to sign people up for tv and internet, give them deals for terms, help with billing and that sort of stuff. I'll start by saying, we never ever forget the customer's that seemingly go out of their way to scream at us on the phone, while blaming it on the company that is billing them. This particular lady who called in gave me the hardest time over resigning her agreement not even half-way through. If we get scored 'poorly' from customer interactions, two of them will take away your yearly bonus, its just how their bullshit metrics worked. So anyways, I give this cow another deal and resign her. A year to the day when the discounts expired and regular price began, she called in and got me. Most company's allow for notes to be left under customer's files, so of course I see my notes and surprise her by saying "we've spoken before about this," giving her the time and date that she called in. I still 'helped' her by removing shit she couldnt afford as it was my job, but telling her no-fucking-way-in-our-policies was nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:10 AM   #14
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Why not farfegnugen?
You mean Fahrvergnügen? Too sad that I couldnt hear you spelling

Quote:
I know that few englisch words are borrowed from German, e.g. Kindergarten or Poltergeist. But as in every language around the world you would find everywhere words which are irreplacable and would ruin the sense. Hence Im be able to talk and understand hollandse so far, you language is sometimes closer to English. Biertje?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #15
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Most every winter during snow storms. Here I am in the middle lane, with AWD and snow tires. Some jerk yahooing in the left lane (where the plows did not fully plow), blows past me. 1 mile or so down the road he's in the ditch. You can't fix stupid.
Dang3r12503.00
GenXer1351.00
quick6750.50
RickFLM410879.00
      05-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #16
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Most every winter during snow storms. Here I am in the middle lane, with AWD and snow tires. Some jerk yahooing in the left lane (where the plows did not fully plow), blows past me. 1 mile or so down the road he's in the ditch. You can't fix stupid.
Same happened here......and the guy was in a Mustang!!!????

We had one of our freak snow storms and by the time I was headed home from work...it had dropped 6+ inches or so.
GenXer1351.00
      05-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #17
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:

We do, actually. it's pronounced "daswatugit"
quick6750.50
      05-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #18
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
We do, actually. it's pronounced "daswatugit"
Nice....I was going to say "justdesserts"
      05-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #19
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I know that few englisch words are borrowed from German, e.g. Kindergarten or Poltergeist. But as in every language around the world you would find everywhere words which are irreplacable and would ruin the sense. Hence Im be able to talk and understand hollandse so far, you language is sometimes closer to English. Biertje?
Fahrvergnügen --- isn't that a German word for "How to drive down sales by putting words in a commercial that many American consumers can't say"
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      05-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

There is also Angst, Fest, Doppelgänger, Gedankenexperiment, and Zeitgeist. And, of course, kaputt!

Last edited by AlexFL; 05-21-2020 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      05-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #21
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Fahrvergnügen --- isn't that a German word for "How to drive down sales by putting words in a commercial that many American consumers can't say"
We have more very complex words into the German language, which will bring you surely to tears by trying to speak it properly.
Dont worry, for me its a real challenge to listen to Texans or some black guys around LA, that is slang where I thought, I'd never learned English well enough.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #22
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
i am in my stock 4 year old 335d a new golf r was ahead of me i moved into the right lane both of us gave it all we got. we were neck and neck till 60mph then the 335d tore away from the golf r and that was it. Happily looked at my rearview mirror. suddenly realized that fuel had been in reserve and had just missed the fuel station exit and next fuel station was 20miles away. Car stalled and i pulled over. Few minutes later the golf r screams by. Joke is on me.
Appreciate 5
Rmtt8206.00
RickFLM410879.00