ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Exhaust Sound/note Sticky Idea

Everyone always asks whats this sound like, or i dont know what it's going to sound like. Why not create a sticky of everyone's exhaust sound with video and what their set up is?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Problem is, with the variation in recording equipment quality, it's impossible to get an apples-to-apples comparison with different video clips. The one put together by some of the Seattle folks is pretty decent, but it doesn't do a good job of capturing the full frequency range. You really need someone with professional equipment to come close to a good representation of exhaust sound.

There was a thread earlier this year where a sound engineer tried to get a good recording to different exhausts on the same setup. Am still hoping that it comes to fruition.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...5#post10042425
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Very true and I thought about that but for the average Joe who wants to get just your basic idea It might be a good idea. I remember that post but he's no where near TN/KY area.

Oh well!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Problem is, with the variation in recording equipment quality, it's impossible to get an apples-to-apples comparison with different video clips. The one put together by some of the Seattle folks is pretty decent, but it doesn't do a good job of capturing the full frequency range. You really need someone with professional equipment to come close to a good representation of exhaust sound.

There was a thread earlier this year where a sound engineer tried to get a good recording to different exhausts on the same setup. Am still hoping that it comes to fruition.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...5#post10042425
i just bumped it in the hopes of this happening.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

I think if we get several different clips of the same system, we can interpret the sound quality and have some idea what things sound like.

Here's a place to start... if you have a Super Sprint for example... find the YouTube video that sounds the most like what you hear in your car. If none of them sound right... make your own clip.

Same for other systems.... let's see what we get.

Sure, no question that a single source side-by-side comparison with the same mics and recording equipment etc. would be interesting but there's still no real guarantee that any of it will sound like what it would sound like in real life. I think we have good shot if people that actually own these different exhausts compare what they hear in real-life to hat's available on YouTube.

It's a place to start.
Appreciate 0