ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Ontrack
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MC

New Suspension install MCS

I just installed a new Motion Control Systems suspension 2-way adjustable with exterior canisters on my 2007. Here is what I ordered from Bimmerworld. I got to talk to James Clay and he helped figure out the spring rates and setup given where I was at. Here is what he came up:

MCS (Motion Control Suspension) Remote-Reservoir Damper Sets
Model: E36 3 Series; Adjustments: 2-Way (Coilover Rear*: Yes; Spring size (2.5", 2.25", or 60mm): 2.25"; Size for complimentary T-shirt (S-XXL): See notes)
1 MCS Rear Clevis Mount Set - E30/36/46

4 MCS (Motion Control Suspension) Canister Bracket Kit

Ground Control Adjustable Camber/Caster Race Plates

Car Model: E46 3 Series; Front Spring Diameter: 2.25" (Shock Brand: MCS (MZ4 car))

2 Hypercoil 2.25" ID Coilover Springs by Hyperco Select Free Length: 5"; Select Rate (lb/in): 700

2 Hypercoil 2.25" ID Coilover Springs by Hyperco Select Free Length: 7"; Select Rate (lb/in): 425

1 Hyperco 2.25" Helper Spring Set

1 Helper Spring Guide Set - 2.25"

1 Torrington Bearing Kit

I cannot say enough good things about James Clay. He spent a lot of time on the phone and thru emails making sure he got me the right system and setup. Thank you James it works amazing!!!

Marc Norris at Bavarian Workshop in Canoga Park, CA installed the suspension and did a great job mounting the canisters.

Here are the alignment specs that James recommended:

􀀀 Set Front typically 1” to ½” gap above front tire between fender
􀀀 Rear 1/4" higher than front, measured to metal at front and rear jack points on bottom of rocker
􀀀 Front Camber -3.0 deg
􀀀 Front Toe 1/8" out total
􀀀 Rear Camber -1.8 deg
􀀀 Rear Toe 1/8" in total

I will put pics in another post.
      01-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Ontrack
Rep

pics

Here are the pics of the install:

Rear Trunk
Name:  rear trunk mcs sm.jpg
Views: 5169
Size:  140.4 KB

Close up rear canister
Name:  trunk close up left side sm.jpg
Views: 5069
Size:  166.4 KB

Close up rear rebound adj
Name:  rear bottom shot left sm.jpg
Views: 7954
Size:  159.6 KB
again rear rebound adj at bottom of rear coilover
Name:  rear rebound adj sm.jpg
Views: 5902
Size:  138.5 KB

Front trunk (yes it needs to be cleaned last event front two went off)
Name:  front whole shot sm.jpg
Views: 4919
Size:  177.4 KB

Passenger front (the windshield fluid canister had to come out)
Name:  passenger front sm.jpg
Views: 4894
Size:  127.2 KB

Drivers front
Name:  driver front sm.jpg
Views: 4964
Size:  143.4 KB
      01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Nice setup....
Did you do any reinforcement of the rear strut tower?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Nice setup! But please clean that car!

Any corner balancing?

Is the alignment numbers from James Clay or your setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Ontrack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Nice setup....
Did you do any reinforcement of the rear strut tower?
Yes I have a roll bar welded into the rear strut tower that is why I went with rear coil over since it is a better setup, at least according to James Clay at Bimmerworld whom knows more than me anyway and my mechanic.
      01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Ontrack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
Nice setup! But please clean that car!

Any corner balancing?

Is the alignment numbers from James Clay or your setup?
I will pm you my address so you can come clean it, I knew I would get flack but wanted to get pics up. I hate seeing it like that myself.

Yes all corner balanced using my weight as driver.

The alignment is from James Clay I was running those same number except for toe. I ran a total of 1/16th toe out in front and 1/16th total toe in on the rear but went with the 1/8th numbers James sent.
      01-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Nice mod but that is the dirtiest Z4M I have ever seen.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      01-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontrack View Post
I will pm you my address so you can come clean it, I knew I would get flack but wanted to get pics up. I hate seeing it like that myself.

The alignment is from James Clay I was running those same number except for toe. I ran a total of 1/16th toe out in front and 1/16th total toe in on the rear but went with the 1/8th numbers James sent.
Would you care to share the weights and the ride heights at each corner?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Quote:

If you pay the flight ticket from Montreal to LA, it will be a pleasure to fully detailled your car. It's -22 celsius over here so anywhere warmer would be better!

I have similar toe front/rear & front camber setup but I have -2.2 rear camber and 1/4'' lower rear height than front.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Do you know what your fr caster is?
I was wondering you changed caster for more dynamic camber.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
Ontrack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdos View Post
Would you care to share the weights and the ride heights at each corner?
I would love to if I had them. I asked the shop to give me all those numbers but they did not. They were short handed at the time of working on my car so it became a last minute rush to get it to me in time for my event.
      01-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Ontrack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Do you know what your fr caster is?
I was wondering you changed caster for more dynamic camber.
They just maxed out caster not sure what actual number is as the shop does not give me a print out of my final alignment much to my disappointment. So I trust they set it up according to the specs given them.

Lastly, you went over my head with the dynamic caster comment. I love to drive but still learning about ALL the technical aspects of suspensions and setup.
      01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Ontrack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
Nice mod but that is the dirtiest Z4M I have ever seen.
Here is my best lap on new setup:

Here is why the car is so dirty. It was snowing lightly and I got a little over zealous!
      01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Looks like the conditions were challenging. How hard was it to get heat into the tires?

That turn you spun in--it looks like it had been causing some issues in the laps preceding it in the video, and even in the fastest lap--but you caught the car each time up until that point. Glad it was nothing more serious than some dirt. Is that a tricky corner usually, or was that particular spot just traction challenged due to cold/snow/damp in that section? (I haven't driven that track.)

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-04-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Ontrack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Looks like the conditions were challenging. How hard was it to get heat into the tires?

That turn you spun in--it looks like it had been causing some issues in the laps preceding it in the video, and even in the fastest lap--but you caught the car each time up until that point. Glad it was nothing more serious than some dirt. Is that a tricky corner usually, or was that particular spot just traction challenged due to cold/snow/damp in that section? (I haven't driven that track.)
Tires seemed to heat up pretty well. The issue was first time out with new suspension and not knowing how the car would respond. After talking it through with James Clay at Bimmerworld concerning the issue in that corner, he recommended increasing rear compression so that when the weight transfer during throttle application moves the the rear the rear tires are forced down more into the pavement creating more traction. After that he said if that does not do it, increase front rebound to slow down the weight transfer to the rear tires upon throttle application.

Normally that turn is easy and a lot of fun. A long sweeper that you simply throttle steer thru. Usually the car pushes out as you apply throttle and you lift to get back in line. Getting oversteer when applying throttle was throwing me off big time that and the cold and snow. Once I sort out the setup that turn will be the easiest and funnest on the track.

Lastly my front tires were brand new and the rears had around 8 heat cycles so that also contributed to the issue somewhat I would guess.
      01-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Thanks. Good analysis, I think once you get your suspension dialed in it's going to be great!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Quote:
I would love to if I had them. I asked the shop to give me all those numbers but they did not. They were short handed at the time of working on my car so it became a last minute rush to get it to me in time for my event.
This is utterly ridiculous. You bought a top notch system, had it installed, got the car counter balanced and aligned, and they didn't think enough to save the corner weights. My race team is sponsored by Hoerr Racing Products. They lend us use of their corner balance scales and system which after you get the car set, saves and prints the results with a single push of the button. Otherwise, how would you even know where it started, finished and where future adjustments may be needed. I'd seriously suggest finding someone with either a Z or E46 chassis with either the MCS or Moton setup (the guys who started MCS left Moton) for compression and rebound settings.
      05-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

Bringing this thread back to life. You have had this suspension for some time now and wanted to see how happy you are with the setup you choose...GC race camber/caster plates, spring rates and length specifically. Would you change any components if you had to do it again. I assume your car is still street legal and you drive it to/from track.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
This is utterly ridiculous. You bought a top notch system, had it installed, got the car counter balanced and aligned, and they didn't think enough to save the corner weights. ....
I was waiting for this... we build and setup race cars. There are times when you just need to get shit done, so you do. Pat it on the ass on the way out as the doors get rolled down. It happens, the OP is good with it so why the sh*t talking?

BTW It's CORNER balancing

OP that's a hot setup for sure, I've always been a huge fan of BW and James. He comes out to the 25hrs at THill and turns a wheel for fun, super nice guy. Our touring car has fully boxed rear shock towers and threaded collar dampers.. been toying with going the true coilover route for a while now. Starting over with suspension tuning prevents me from doing it just yet.
      05-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #20
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I don't think the numbers matter. The reality is that they are never the same. I write them down, but you don't look at them until you are there to corner balance again. And NorCal cyclist can vouge that I have done an insane amount of suspension adjustment and corner balancing yearly.

This is assuming that you trust the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #21
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
I don't think the numbers matter. The reality is that they are never the same. I write them down, but you don't look at them until you are there to corner balance again. And NorCal cyclist can vouge that I have done an insane amount of suspension adjustment and corner balancing yearly.

This is assuming that you trust the shop.
duly noted!
      07-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

After month of waiting I finally have tracking number. Excited to tackle install next weekend.

Went with similar setup as OP:
Dual adj external res MCS
GC race camber plates
Hypercoil 5" 700/850lb springs and spring helpers
Adj front end links
GC weight jackers
Turner RTAB
Clevis mount/RE rear shock reinforcement
Appreciate 0