ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-09-2024, 11:34 AM   #111
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Bright sunny and 60s if you haven’t yet look into clearing the soft top drains. I’ve got plenty extra of the hosing I used you’re more than welcome to if you want to go that route. Deciding I needed to take today off and bask in this, though my sinuses aren’t too happy with me for grilling weather in February
How did you clear the drains?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 11:53 AM   #112
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
How did you clear the drains?
I did this. Though I used a nylon braided hose from Home Depot instead, also larger OD and ID from the original post since I took all the bottom drain attachments off from the underside of the car. The hoses are long enough to rest on the brace bars in the back and just reach under grab the hose and periodically back blow the drains with an air gun from the compressor. When washing the car you can see it drain out like a garden hose underneath and the hoses also direct the water flow out of the line of the rear tires. The braided hose will keep it from ever being pinched used a few zip ties to keep the upper base of the hose in place so they’ll never slip off. My whole top issues started with the thin membrane of the top starting to flake into the drains that’s what cause my motor to flood. After having the motor replaced I do this every so often typically before I wash the car or know it’ll be out in a chance of rain. Some times take 2 seconds to do it to get the air compressor going.
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021381
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 11:55 AM   #113
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
I did this. Though I used a nylon braided hose from Home Depot instead, also larger OD and ID from the original post since I took all the bottom drain attachments off from the underside of the car. The hoses are long enough to rest on the brace bars in the back and just reach under grab the hose and periodically back blow the drains with an air gun from the compressor. When washing the car you can see it drain out like a garden hose underneath and the hoses also direct the water flow out of the line of the rear tires. The braided hose will keep it from ever being pinched used a few zip ties to keep the upper base of the hose in place so they’ll never slip off. My whole top issues started with the thin membrane of the top starting to flake into the drains that’s what cause my motor to flood. After having the motor replaced I do this every so often typically before I wash the car or know it’ll be out in a chance of rain. Some times take 2 seconds to do it to get the air compressor going.
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021381
Many thanks for this!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 11:59 AM   #114
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Many thanks for this!
just added some quick pics not sure why the bottom one got flipped but shows it resting on the bar. The top pic is hose in on the underside of the exit.
And as an edit please don’t mind the mess underneath

Last edited by Piper1; 02-09-2024 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 02:30 PM   #115
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Wow! Thanks again!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 04:05 PM   #116
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep
Drives: E85 (not E86)

Quote:
Got a part number for the plugs, which I believe you said are NGK Iridium’s?
Here you go!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 07:41 AM   #117
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloyouis2 View Post
Here you go!

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 10:29 AM   #118
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Crazy issue....

Out of nowhere I had major steering wheel wobble at almost any speed. Even as slow at 20mph. The tires are new so I took it back to Discount Tire and had them re-balance the front tires.

They discovered that the TPMS sensor in the front right wheel had come lose and was bouncing around inside of the tire!!!

I have another question:

TPMS sensors? I was under the impression that BMW's use the ABS/wheel speed sensors to determine if a tire is going flat. Did the tire shop or PO install these by mistake? There was no mention of TPMS sensors when I had the new tires installed and there was no warning on the dash when the sensor came loose and was bouncing around inside the tire.

Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 10:56 AM   #119
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
TPMS sensors? I was under the impression that BMW's use the ABS/wheel speed sensors to determine if a tire is going flat. Did the tire shop or PO install these by mistake? There was no mention of TPMS sensors when I had the new tires installed and there was no warning on the dash when the sensor came loose and was bouncing around inside the tire.

Any idea?
For the Z4, 2007+ got TMPS sensors in the wheels. I'll assume the battery and sensor where still functioning therefore did not trigger a warning
Next time I have ista hooked up, I'll see if I can read the pressure from each sensor independently.
The sensors are easy to spot since they have a metal valve stem.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:18 PM   #120
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
For the Z4, 2007+ got TMPS sensors in the wheels. I'll assume the battery and sensor where still functioning therefore did not trigger a warning
Next time I have ista hooked up, I'll see if I can read the pressure from each sensor independently.
The sensors are easy to spot since they have a metal valve stem.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:02 AM   #121
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Replacing the MAF did not solve my P0172/0175 codes.

The original looked perfect so I figured I REALLY cleaned it and reinstalled it.

Been a week (125 miles) and nothing yet.

Picky car. LOL>. I hope it is solved.

Last edited by Aloyouis2; 02-16-2024 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:16 AM   #122
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Okay....

Continuing asking questions that probably cause the vast majority of you to shake your heads:

I am 6'1" 200 lbs and my leather seats squeak when the back of seats touch against the back of the cabin. What do you folks use to make this squeaking stop?

I imagine that many of us have the seats all the way back when driving. After a few minutes I move the seat forward enough to stop the noise but I would rather keep it all the back.

Please advise and thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 12:10 PM   #123
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Okay....

Continuing asking questions that probably cause the vast majority of you to shake your heads:

I am 6'1" 200 lbs and my leather seats squeak when the back of seats touch against the back of the cabin. What do you folks use to make this squeaking stop?

I imagine that many of us have the seats all the way back when driving. After a few minutes I move the seat forward enough to stop the noise but I would rather keep it all the back.

Please advise and thank you.
I'm 6'1" 215 lbs, so I too have the seat slid all way the back which would squeak against the rear bulkhead. I got a yard of thick black felt from the fabric store, folded it in half and placed it between the seat back and the plastic, then slid the seat back to hold it in place, all quiet now. Can't even see it since my interior is black.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 07:25 PM   #124
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm 6'1" 215 lbs, so I too have the seat slid all way the back which would squeak against the rear bulkhead. I got a yard of thick black felt from the fabric store, folded it in half and placed it between the seat back and the plastic, then slid the seat back to hold it in place, all quiet now. Can't even see it since my interior is black.
Great idea! Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 08:49 AM   #125
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Sure beats getting your legs shortened!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:44 PM   #126
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Sure beats getting your legs shortened!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:50 AM   #127
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Keys!!!

So....

I was about to use a blade to cut open one of the keys that came with my Z. It worked as a physical key but not as a remote to open or lock doors. I jumped on YT to watch a video on how to do it and instead came across this (below) which details how to re-pair a key to the car. My last BMW with a "diamond" key was a 2002 E46 that I sold in 2006. I didn't have it long enough to have an any key issues.

VIOLA! It worked. My key with a dead battery now works 100% without having to cut it open. I suggest trying this first, always, before cutting a key open. You may get lucky as I did!

Appreciate 0