ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-01-2024, 01:32 PM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloyouis2 View Post
The one I have does both, I believe. It has been on the shelf for a while since we solved an electrical issue with the Wrangler.
Well, a maintainer does charge at low amperage rates, but a trickle charger is a specific device that is not a maintainer. The terms often get misused on the internet.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2024, 12:02 AM   #24
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Lots of good info shared already. Since I just picked up my 07 3.0 Si (108k miles with limited service records) in March last year I’ll share my experience.

1. Got a Carly and cleared all the codes. Drove it a couple days and thankfully no codes came back

2. Just did the oil pan gasket last month due to small leak at the right rear - as someone mentioned it’s common

3. Also replaced front strut mounts last month - there was a crack forming in the rubber

Otherwise it’s been an awesome weekend and year round car (in CA). 😁
      01-02-2024, 10:24 AM   #25
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

For oil I use Pennzoil Platinum® Euro. It's available at most Wally Worlds.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2024, 11:40 AM   #26
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I just Mobile 1 0w40 Euro. Works fine and is available most places. I have 3 cars that can run it so it's nice to just keep a bunch of one oil in stock.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2024, 11:49 AM   #27
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I just Mobile 1 0w40 Euro. Works fine and is available most places. I have 3 cars that can run it so it's nice to just keep a bunch of one oil in stock.
+1 meijer has seemed to keep it in stock in 5qt jugs for awhile now.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2024, 04:28 PM   #28
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep
Drives: E85 (not E86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rho123 View Post
Lots of good info shared already. Since I just picked up my 07 3.0 Si (108k miles with limited service records) in March last year I’ll share my experience.

1. Got a Carly and cleared all the codes. Drove it a couple days and thankfully no codes came back

2. Just did the oil pan gasket last month due to small leak at the right rear - as someone mentioned it’s common

3. Also replaced front strut mounts last month - there was a crack forming in the rubber

Otherwise it’s been an awesome weekend and year round car (in CA). 😁

WRT the Carly app, have you found any limitations? It seems to me it doesn't do as much as the PC based apps but that may be fine for me to get the convenience of my phone and to avoid buying a cheap PC (Mac guy here). The Carly website seems somewhat vague (on purpose) in its claims. I suspect the E85 is lass able to be coded. Yes?

I would really prefer Carly be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:47 AM   #29
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Was your roof motor relocated by the prior owner to your trunk? If yes, your good to go. However, if no, I'd suggest going on Youtube and watching a few videos on changing out the top motor. The top motors fail on all of these cars which can be caused by simply washing the car to often (which I'll admit I do myself). Otherwise, good luck with her.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 12:49 PM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Was your roof motor relocated by the prior owner to your trunk? If yes, your good to go. However, if no, I'd suggest going on Youtube and watching a few videos on changing out the top motor. The top motors fail on all of these cars which can be caused by simply washing the car to often (which I'll admit I do myself). Otherwise, good luck with her.
It’s true that top motor failure is a known issue but it’s not true that they all fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 05:15 PM   #31
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
I probably watched 10 videos on it. I feel like I could do it in my sleep if my hands were smaller. It is a concern given the squeal coming from the pump. I'm gonna have to get in there and make sure the drains down below are open and attempt to get the cover off the hydraulic pump to check the fluid level.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 06:41 PM   #32
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Quote:
WRT the Carly app, have you found any limitations? It seems to me it doesn't do as much as the PC based apps but that may be fine for me to get the convenience of my phone and to avoid buying a cheap PC (Mac guy here). The Carly website seems somewhat vague (on purpose) in its claims. I suspect the E85 is lass able to be coded. Yes?

Honestly, I’ve never used a PC version app and have not tried to code with Carly. I’m sure someone on the forum could comment.
      01-03-2024, 08:25 PM   #33
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:

If you really want to go down the Carly hole, just know, after 5 years of using it, you'll be in it for nearly $500 due to their annual fees which add up over the years.

For less than 1/4 that cost, you could pick up a used laptop, obd cable and have 100 times the capability using ista+, which also contains the shop service manual, schematics, test plans and the ability to test each module's functionality. Having used Carly, bimmerlink/bimmercode, as well as many other diagnostic/coding software, everything seems rudimentary in comparison to ista+

ista+ can be run on mac in a VM using Parallels, though that adds some complexity to the configuration...

Last edited by pungo; 01-04-2024 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 08:36 PM   #34
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
If you really want to go down the Carly hole, just know, after 5 years of using it, you'll be in it for neatly $500 due to their annual fees which add up over the years.

For less than 1/4 that cost, you could pick up a used laptop, obd cable and have 100 times the capability using ista+, which also contains the shop service manual, schematics, test plans and the ability to test each module's functionality. Having used Carly, bimmerlink/bimmercode, as well as many other diagnostic/coding software, everything seems rudimentary in comparison to ista+

ista+ can be run on mac in a VM using Parallels, though that adds some complexity to the configuration...
I googled ISTA+ and on their webpage the E85 is missing as a supported car. What am I missing? Do we use that tool and claim the car is an E46???
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ISTA+.pdf (121.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Aloyouis2; 01-03-2024 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:07 PM   #35
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I googled ISTA+ and on their webpage the E85 is missing as a supported car. What am I missing? Do we use that tool and claim the car is an E46???
Sorry, I can't tell you why the Z4 is omitted from the list you found with your google search

You don't "claim" a model, it's much smarter then us. The 1st thing it does, once connected, is read all the identification/detailed info about the vehicle, then creates a tree structure configuration of all the computer modules and their statuses, as an example:

Name:  ista tree.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  131.8 KB
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 12:28 AM   #36
mlquillin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
From what I understand, Carly is the only coding app that supports E85. Bimmercode doesn’t. Bimmerutility doesn’t say. The way I look at Carly is you have a year to tweak your preferences before you have to renew. I’m not going to renew because I despise subscription models. Once the subscription lapses, I’ll keep things the way I like and just use a OBDII reader to diagnose. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:16 AM   #37
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlquillin View Post
From what I understand, Carly is the only coding app that supports E85. Bimmercode doesn’t. Bimmerutility doesn’t say. The way I look at Carly is you have a year to tweak your preferences before you have to renew. I’m not going to renew because I despise subscription models. Once the subscription lapses, I’ll keep things the way I like and just use a OBDII reader to diagnose. Good luck!
Many of us here use NCS Expert for our coding needs, there's really only a handful of things worth coding on these older vehicles.

I assumed the OP is most interested in diagnostic scanners for working on their vehicle, which Carly has limited capability. Sure, Carly does basic coding as well as read/clear errors, but having to pay an annual fee keep using it is a marketing scam
Another Carly post
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 12:18 PM   #38
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I can't tell you why the Z4 is omitted from the list you found with your google search

You don't "claim" a model, it's much smarter then us. The 1st thing it does, once connected, is read all the identification/detailed info about the vehicle, then creates a tree structure configuration of all the computer modules and their statuses, as an example:

Attachment 3356929
Interesting that your screen shot shows the SW has ID'd the car as an E91/N52. I suspected that would be th case. I don't care as long as it works.

What is a fair price to pay for this SW?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:21 PM   #39
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Many of us here use NCS Expert for our coding needs, there's really only a handful of things worth coding on these older vehicles.

I assumed the OP is most interested in diagnostic scanners for working on their vehicle, which Carly has limited capability. Sure, Carly does basic coding as well as read/clear errors, but having to pay an annual fee keep using it is a marketing scam
Another Carly post
Both actually. Certainly I would like to get accurate diagnostic codes so that I can more accurately work on the car. This is for sure. Coding things as well such as the blinker three times when changing lanes or resetting the auto trans to factory to learn how I drive. Currently it holds gears way longer than needed when driving normally.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 02:11 PM   #40
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Quote:
I probably watched 10 videos on it. I feel like I could do it in my sleep if my hands were smaller. It is a concern given the squeal coming from the pump. I'm gonna have to get in there and make sure the drains down below are open and attempt to get the cover off the hydraulic pump to check the fluid level.
Hey, I'd actually not touch the cover of the pump unless it stops working/running. Your pump may have been replaced by a prior own (who knowns) and the case sealed together with silicon caulk in an effort to waterproof it. The squeal might be a totally separate issue. If you have low hydraulic fluid the top will simply stop moving, although the motor may still be running.

The only thing I'd strongly suggest not doing is trying out the red handled emergency Hydraulic bypass in the trunk. This bypass has been known to either jam open, not pressurized or closed, fully pressurized. Only use it in an emergency and hope it works.

I use pipe cleaners, that are over a foot long that you can pick up at craft stores like Micheal's to do the drains. I'm guessing they use these pipe cleaners in crafts. These are basically the same pipe cleaners used to clean pipe's used to smoke tobacco only a lot longer.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 02:55 PM   #41
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both actually. Certainly I would like to get accurate diagnostic codes so that I can more accurately work on the car. This is for sure. Coding things as well such as the blinker three times when changing lanes or resetting the auto trans to factory to learn how I drive. Currently it holds gears way longer than needed when driving normally.
Resetting the auto trans memory you’re referring to can be done without reader. Search for throttle adaption reset it’s literally turn of the key sequence. There’s how tos on it buried somewhere. Drive in sport/sport shift and never have to worry about that. The memory is for when in D only.

Last edited by Piper1; 01-04-2024 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 03:21 PM   #42
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021381

This is what I did to clear the drains. Takes all of 2 seconds hooking up an air gun nozzle and back blowing them clear. I used braided nylon Home Depot hosing that fit according so it’ll never kink up made them long enough to rest on the brace bars right by there easy enough to reach under grab the hose and clear them out and tuck them back in place.

Last edited by Piper1; 01-04-2024 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 03:36 PM   #43
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I'd actually not touch the cover of the pump unless it stops working/running. Your pump may have been replaced by a prior own (who knowns) and the case sealed together with silicon caulk in an effort to waterproof it. The squeal might be a totally separate issue. If you have low hydraulic fluid the top will simply stop moving, although the motor may still be running.

The only thing I'd strongly suggest not doing is trying out the red handled emergency Hydraulic bypass in the trunk. This bypass has been known to either jam open, not pressurized or closed, fully pressurized. Only use it in an emergency and hope it works.

I use pipe cleaners, that are over a foot long that you can pick up at craft stores like Micheal's to do the drains. I'm guessing they use these pipe cleaners in crafts. These are basically the same pipe cleaners used to clean pipe's used to smoke tobacco only a lot longer.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 04:08 PM   #44
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting that your screen shot shows the SW has ID'd the car as an E91/N52. I suspected that would be th case. I don't care as long as it works.

What is a fair price to pay for this SW?
The capture, as stated, is an example, not from a E85/86, though the screen would look similar.

The required files are available for download.
Appreciate 0