ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2024, 07:44 AM   #1
mixtli
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive F30, Z4 2.5 E85

Z4 2003 E85 Central Locking

Hi guys,

My key fob does nothing! About 3 weeks ago, I jump started my Z4 on the battery as I stupidly let it go flat. Everthing returned to normal except the central locking. Pressing they key fob illicits no reaction from the car. No beep, no lock activation / deactivation, no flashing indicators. The only way into the car is with the key through the driver's door then pressing the door unlock button inside the car to unlock the passenger's door. It's as if the fob is either completely dead (unlikely) or the car no longer recognises / reacts to it. The GM5 module was the first suspect so I sent if off and 2 faulty relays were replaced. Now things seem better opening off the key in the drivers door lock (even the fuel filler cap unlocks which I'm not sure it did before - long story but not relevant here) but still no response from the fob.
I've recharged the key fob by taking the car for a long drive and also charging it on a toothbrush charger but still nothing. I suspect that something went 'pop' when I jump started it as everything was fine before this. I am tempted to get a replacement mirror as the receiver is in there, I think and follow some online guides to pair the key to the replacement receiver. Does anyone think this might be a good idea or am I heading down a deep fruitless rabbit hole? Any suggestions would be very welcome as it's driving me mad.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 08:23 AM   #2
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep
Drives: E85 (not E86)

Try this!

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=127
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2024, 09:17 AM   #3
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Also if you haven’t yet when batteries loose charge, even dropping below voltage but not entirely flat codes and gremlins have a tendency to surface. Code read it and clear anything that comes up if you haven’t.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 09:22 AM   #4
mixtli
Rep

Hi. Yes. I've tried that (again today) and many other reprogramming procedures without any success. It is completely unresponsive but the car starts and drives without a problem. I have only one key, unfortunately so can't 100% rule the fob out though I don't think it's where the fault lies.

I think there is 3 parts to this system?

1. The fob transmits a signal
2. The receiver in the rear view mirror receives the signal
3. The GM5 module carries out the 'instruction'. Unlock the doors, enable/disable the alarm etc.

Does this sound right?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 09:48 AM   #5
mixtli
Rep

All codes were cleared about a week ago.
Appreciate 0