ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Alignment Question

Could use some expert advice. 2007 M Roadie. I'm due for new shocks (80K) but can't see doing it until next summer. I have a more pressing need for new tires. My fronts are slightly more worn on the very inside than the rest of the tread. The rears are pretty much evenly worn. Overall, I probably have 2-3K left on them but the insides of the fronts trouble me somewhat because the rain grooves are mostly gone. I've never aligned the car since I've had it from 24K miles and it's never pulled or exhibited any tendencies that would make me want to align it.

Is inside wear on the fronts indicative of normal wear for an M? If I put on new tires should I definitely align it? I will probably put 3K miles on the car before I do the shocks next year (and would certainly do an alignment then).

I appreciate any thoughts. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
CTMP4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC, '71 240Z with S54

Sounds like the difference in wear isn't drastic and car drives well. If the alignment pins on the front struts haven't been pulled, on stock suspension you aren't running more than 1 degree of negative camber, so you can rule out "too much negative camber" as the reason. It could be an issue with too much toe-in in that case, but I would just wait until you put on the new suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
+1. My 2c is you should get an alignment, but defer the alignment till after the suspension work, since you'll need it done at that point anyway. Get the before and after printout, and you'll see how off you were.

And do as much suspension work as you can at once so you don't have to get an alignment every time.

Consider also checking your alignment at home using a string/laser and some math:
Appreciate 0