ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Talking Ast Coilover With Swift Springs Group Buy!

Here's the deal

I have been researching different suspensions for our cars, and I have come to the conclusion that AST suspension needs to show our cars some love. I have decided on purchasing the AST 4100 Coilover with Swift springs and Vorshlag Camber plates.

From my research, I have concluded that AST is one of the top suspensions systems offered. In regards to the e36 chassis, AST is just about the top choice for street/track duties. The same goes for the e46 chassis.

Also, from my research i have found out that Swift springs are one of the best springs on the market.
The reasons:

Name:  swift_vs_other.gif
Views: 1871
Size:  118.8 KB

Reading reviews on these springs on the e90, e46, and e36 chassis have all yielded the same conclusion, these springs are the best and have a noticable difference when changing to them even with the same spring rates. People on other platforms changed from one brand to swift springs a noticed the same performance, but had a more comfortable ride quality.

Searching over on m3forums.net about Vorshlag camber plates has also told me the same as the Swift springs and AST dampeners, they are the best. They are also quiet on the street.

I have been in contact with Harold at HP Auto, and he said if we get a group buy going that we can save some money.

I also want to clarify that AST uses e36 dampeners for the front and e46 dampeners for the rear. Harold called AST in questions on mine, and this has not caused a problem. Are suspension in the z4 m is designed off e36 fronts and e46 rears.

For everyone in interest on a group buy on these coilover/springs please place your name on the list as follows, or shoot me a pm.

Let's make this happen! We need more products on the market for our cars!

Note this is NOT limited to just the Z4 m, the Z4 is included, but a different suspension is used

Pricing as follows:

2 AST 4100 $25 off spring kit+ free shipping
3 AST 4100 $50 off spring kit + free shipping
4 AST 4100 $75 off spring kit + free shipping
5 AST 4100 $100 off spring kit + free shipping

AST 4100 will remain at $1849
Spring kit is $250
Camber plates is $439
Shipping is US 48 States only. International orders will receive a $50 shipping credit towards the actual shipping cost.

GROUP BUY LIST

1. Mpower03

Last edited by mpower03; 10-23-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Can you please share information with us about AST coilovers? I'm interested with the group buy however I would like to have specs and other technical information about ast coilovers, possibly someone can shine on with their experience on the z4m Platform regarding the AST coilovers
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
Can you please share information with us about AST coilovers? I'm interested with the group buy however I would like to have specs and other technical information about ast coilovers, possibly someone can shine on with their experience on the z4m Platform regarding the AST coilovers
I believe there is only one person so far on the forums that has purchased these coilovers, and that is Master Apex. I tried pm'ing him quite a few days ago and no response, and he never posted any information about them.

Regarding the coilovers:
AST 4100

The venerable 4000 Series damper stands as AST's entry level, adjustable damper. Using the same internal technology found in the 5000 Series competition sets, the 4000 Series creates near-budget level single adjustable and double adjustable dampers for the track and amateur road racing market.

Key Features
Monotube dampers that use 22mm shafts for struts and 14mm shafts for shocks
Nitrogen charged to 175 psi for 22mm shaft shocks and 265 psi for 14mm shaft shocks
Utilizes AST's Load Bearing Piston (LBP) for all strut designs (AST is the only coilover in this price range to use this feature)
Steel bodied struts and shocks all use European KTL coating which is stronger and more weather resistant than powder coat or wet paint found on most shocks
Utilizes design principles required for grueling TUV testing including withstanding 1 million cycles with 1100 pounds of side load on the strut
Available as Rebound-only adjustable (4100) or Rebound and Compression adjustable (4200)
Fully rebuildable and revalvable
Shortened appropriately for lowered performance cars
The 4000 series have been tested at events including SCCA Nationals, NASA Nationals, 25 Hours of Thunderhill and Grand Am races
Valved for a comfortable, agressive street ride that performs great at the track

AST 4200:

The venerable 4000 Series damper stands as AST's entry level, adjustable damper. Using the same internal technology found in the 5000 Series competition sets, the 4000 Series creates near-budget level single adjustable and double adjustable dampers for the track and amateur road racing market.

Key Features
Monotube dampers that use 22mm shafts for struts and 14mm shafts for shocks
Nitrogen charged to 175 psi for 22mm shaft shocks and 265 psi for 14mm shaft shocks
Utilizes AST's Load Bearing Piston (LBP) for all strut designs (AST is the only coilover in this price range to use this feature)
Steel bodied struts and shocks all use European KTL coating which is stronger and more weather resistant than powder coat or wet paint found on most shocks
Utilizes design principles required for grueling TUV testing including withstanding 1 million cycles with 1100 pounds of side load on the strut
Available as Rebound-only adjustable (4100) or Rebound and Compression adjustable (4200)
Fully rebuildable and revalvable
Shortened appropriately for lowered performance cars
The 4000 series have been tested at events including SCCA Nationals, NASA Nationals, 25 Hours of Thunderhill and Grand Am races
Valved for a comfortable, agressive street ride that performs great at the track

Basically, AST 4100 is rebound adjustable, and the 4200 is rebound and compression adjustable. Both feature monotube shocks vs twin tube shocks. Monotube shocks in general can support higher spring rate ranges.
      10-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

When I get off work tonight, I will compile a list of reviews about them.
      10-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Doh! Just ordered my AST kit from Vorshlag on Thursday
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Doh! Just ordered my AST kit from Vorshlag on Thursday
Cancel it!!! And order with the group buy through Harold at HPauto.
      10-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Pricing up in the first post!
      10-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Too late! UPS is already on their way but I'll report my install results for you guys....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Too late! UPS is already on their way but I'll report my install results for you guys....
Still will be good though! Congrats on the purchase. What spring rates did you go with?
      10-24-2011, 03:06 AM   #10
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Hello mpower03 and others,

Can you help me to understand what are you trying to achieve with a different suspension system?

I have not found the stock suspension to need changing.

Please excuse my ignorance.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Hello mpower03 and others,

Can you help me to understand what are you trying to achieve with a different suspension system?

I have not found the stock suspension to need changing.

Please excuse my ignorance.
The reasons people want coilovers varies.

With coilovers you get:
Adjustability
-shock adjustability
-can choose your spring rates
-ride height adjustability

Better handling performance
Generally people want coiloVers on the street to lower their car, and if they track the get the adjustability, and better performance
      10-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

I have this setup on my 2005 STi. The quality of the components is second to none and fitment is perfect. The ASTs ride very well on the street but they were made for the track. This is NOT the suspension to buy just to get your big wheels to fit or just to slam your car - the struts have incredible droop travel compared to other models made by competitors at even double the price. The result of this amazing droop travel is a phenomenal ride with a significantly decreased chance of dog-legging at the track while still offering superb stiffness; the downside is that they cannot be slammed, they will outgas and prematurely break down. I have had my STi setup refreshed once by their authrized repair shop in Virginia and the turnaround time was great and the price was reasonable. Overall, this setup (IMO anyways) is mainly meant for the track, so if you track your car this is a great option. It will work for the street, but just consider the fact that they were not designed to be slammed.

Last edited by JPWEraser; 10-24-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

i wish these were available before i got my setup =/

i have 10/12k swift springs they are dope.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

I would love it if someone has used this suspension on a Z4M and can shine in on this forum, it is highly unlikeable to find someone who is willing to spend serious money on a system without any feedback from other clients who use the same system on the same car they have.

I would rather go with a KW V3 or Clubsport because the feedback from people is very well defined.

Anyone wants to unleash the potential of the AST COs ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
I would love it if someone has used this suspension on a Z4M and can shine in on this forum, it is highly unlikeable to find someone who is willing to spend serious money on a system without any feedback from other clients who use the same system on the same car they have.

I would rather go with a KW V3 or Clubsport because the feedback from people is very well defined.

Anyone wants to unleash the potential of the AST COs ?
I'm going to buy no matter what, group buy or not. I will be doing the install, and i will be sure to take pictures of it, i may even document a DIY. I will for sure post pictures, and a review. AJW45 just bought them so he should be getting them soon. I have read a lot of reviews on AST coilovers espically with the swift springs, and I didn't read a negative comment on them. I have read for e90, e46, e36, e87, sti's and a couple more different cars. All had nothing but positive things to say about them. I have read about Ground Control, TCK, and KW and the reviews are consistent from car to car. They reflect they same opinion on our cars as they do with different models. The problems they have are still the same. That tells me that what is to be expected of the AST on our cars shall be something excellent compared to other products. That is not to say that KW v3 or Clubsports are bad because they are not, they are great. They just offer something different than what i want. In the end its all about what you want, and most of the time their is a product that can come close to fitting your wants.

I am going with the AST for the following reasons:

1. Quality
2. Customization
3. Ride Quality on the Street
      10-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
i wish these were available before i got my setup =/

i have 10/12k swift springs they are dope.
What did you go with?
      10-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
dorifto88
Major
Rep

Ground controls and swift springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
Ground controls and swift springs.
Did ground control sell them to you with swift springs, or did they sell them without them? How did they turn out for you?
      10-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
dorifto88
Major
Rep

i purchased the swift springs separatly, they replaced a set of eibach ers springs.

i can tell you for sure the swift springs are lighter in weight than eibach springs lol

i love them.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

FYI. I went down this path about a year ago and, to be perfectly honest, I was turned off by AST's inability to provide useful and concise information about the kit they claimed was compatible with the Z4M platform. Both AST and their retailers seemed to lack definitive information about the Z4M kit they may (or may not) have had available for me. Perhaps things have changed but I haven't yet seen any new information provided in this thread.

I too learned that they use E36 dampers up front and E46 dampers out back; however, from my research (and common sense) you can't simply install an E36 damper on the front and an E46 damper on the rear and call it a day. This is why I reached out to their team in the first place as I wanted to know what valving changes were done and if travel on the dampers were shortened which, I've been told, is necessary to avoid clunking and rattling.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get information that satisfied me enough to install it in my car. Given how frequently I find myself on the track, I wasn't willing to be the test and tune car for them to hash things out on.

Maybe they found that guinea pig and have since made strides towards offering a Z4M-specific kit (that may, for example, reuse E36 and E46 shock bodies) but I think you need to confirm that. Just saying that the kit uses E36 and E46 dampers so it's good to go ain't going to cut it for anyone who cares about the setup of their car.

That said, having this kit available for a Z4M platform would be quite awesome. I've heard GREAT things about their products.
      10-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #21
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Will they offer the spring discount to include a set of 4200s for a 3.0si instead of 4100s
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

I had a look on the AST website, it doesn't seem very well organised or scripted.

Correct me if I am wrong but there doesn't appear to be any of their top model 5000 Series products available for our cars.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0