ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-17-2022, 06:15 PM   #1
soundofspeed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E86 Z4M, E90 M3

Z4M Navigation Dash removal

Have a Z4, as the car ages, the nav gets antique. It is still working, but I never use it. The dash looks also a bit ugly, the softpaint has scratches. So it has to go.

At first, bought a dash without nav.

Then just removed it.
Straight forward. Takes 1.5 days.
Attached Images

vt100124.00
      01-17-2022, 08:26 PM   #2
Fodase
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Roadster 2018 440

I've had these thoughts but don't have the skill so I think it would be expensive.

Will you go aftermarket for the stereo or does an OEM unit just plug in?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 02:22 AM   #3
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Really nice! I also thought of doing the same few years back but never had time / guts to actually start it
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofspeed View Post
Did you get it used or new OE?
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #4
soundofspeed
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bought the dash used, but it was in a good condition. Shipping was nearly as expensive as the dash.
I will use the OEM radio and put a bluebus or similar system in as well.
The old dash and the nav is for sale, maybe it recovers some of the costs.
Most time consuming are the other things which show up. When you disassemble everything, you see the ugly softpaint (steering wheel, center console).
I started to clean everything up and repaint it. That took a lot of time. Especially the switches at the steering wheel.
Attached Images

vt100124.00
      01-23-2022, 09:31 PM   #5
Black911S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe - Imola Red

your car just went way up in value. :-)

thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to do this exact thing for sometime and never got around to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:47 AM   #6
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Kudos to you for enduring such disassembly and reassembly.

Can't even imagine doing this; did you take progress photos to assist in reassembly? Does removing the nav unit throw any codes after removal? Any specialty tools required besides automotive plastic trim removal tools?
      01-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #7
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Looking good Jan! I might have to do the same

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
I might have to do the same
I wonder how much 51457046488 is gonna jump up in price from now?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #9
Z28Fred
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2008 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I'm interested in the Nav screen if it is still available.

Fred
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 07:32 PM   #10
soundofspeed
Enlisted Member
Rep

The exchange of the dash is really straight forward. No special tools needed. Just disconnect the battery in plug everything again. No codes afterwards at all. Still need to look up how to set the time ...
Anyhow, you have to remove (in order):
- steering wheel (more space to work)
- rear part of the middle tunnel, including the lid (remove small screws, then pull it upwards 30degree ..)
- shifter & handbrake cover
- middle tunnel (foodpads must be removed, quite ugly)
- all the airbags (only bolted, but hard to come by)
- vents & radio
- instrument cluster (one bolt on top), with radio and left vent removed it can be pressed out.
- trim from dash (the one one the passanger side is clipped behind the right vent ...), some more screws behind the radio
- glovebox
- air con switches
- many, many connectors (but you can't mix them up)

Just replaced it with a standard radio and it worked instantly.
Furthermore I bought a $15 bluetooth adapter with BMW connector. Doesn't fit of course.
So I pinned out the original AUX connector and puinned in the bluetooth connector instead. Also removed the standard microphone and replaced it with an aftermarket part.
Works straight forward. It even takes calls. Not as good as in a new car, but I want to drive, not talk ...

Anhow, now the dash looks similar to the one in our e90 M3.

If someone wants to convert his non nav car with a nav, all the parts are available
Attached Images

Last edited by soundofspeed; 01-29-2022 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 12:29 PM   #11
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Simply incredible!
      05-05-2022, 06:21 PM   #12
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

How many hours did this take? I am hoping Skyer pulls thru and makes the android baseplate so it covers up the oem cutout properly....If not I have a non-nav dashboard ready for the nav delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 07:35 AM   #13
RvsBmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
The exchange of the dash is really straight forward. No special tools needed. Just disconnect the battery in plug everything again. No codes afterwards at all. Still need to look up how to set the time ...
Anyhow, you have to remove (in order):
- steering wheel (more space to work)
- rear part of the middle tunnel, including the lid (remove small screws, then pull it upwards 30degree ..)
- shifter & handbrake cover
- middle tunnel (foodpads must be removed, quite ugly)
- all the airbags (only bolted, but hard to come by)
- vents & radio
- instrument cluster (one bolt on top), with radio and left vent removed it can be pressed out.
- trim from dash (the one one the passanger side is clipped behind the right vent ...), some more screws behind the radio
- glovebox
- air con switches
- many, many connectors (but you can't mix them up)

Just replaced it with a standard radio and it worked instantly.
Furthermore I bought a $15 bluetooth adapter with BMW connector. Doesn't fit of course.
So I pinned out the original AUX connector and puinned in the bluetooth connector instead. Also removed the standard microphone and replaced it with an aftermarket part.
Works straight forward. It even takes calls. Not as good as in a new car, but I want to drive, not talk ...

Anhow, now the dash looks similar to the one in our e90 M3.

If someone wants to convert his non nav car with a nav, all the parts are available
Nice, thanks for the description. Scheduled the same job at the bmw dealer in the next month . Hope no rattles after the change .
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #14
iceyz4coupe
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 3.0si coupe

i never use the nav on the dash either. Might have to go this route. I use my aux alot more
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #15
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

Quote:
Have a Z4, as the car ages, the nav gets antique. It is still working, but I never use it. The dash looks also a bit ugly, the softpaint has scratches. So it has to go.

Then just removed it.
Straight forward. Takes 1.5 days.
How many hours did the swap take?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 10:14 AM   #16
evelynshaw11
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

I will use the OEM radio and put a bluebus or similar system in as well.
The old dash and the nav is for sale, maybe it recovers some of the costs.
Most time consuming are the other things which show up.

When you disassemble everything, you see the ugly softpaint (steering wheel, center console.

I started to clean everything up and repaint it.That took a lot of time. Especially the switches at the steering wheel.

Serendipity Wellness Studio
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 10:11 PM   #17
zed_fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, E60 M5 6MT

This post inspired me and so I took the plunge on swapping my dash out as well. I always thought it was a shame that the extended leather option didn't include the dash like other models. So I decided to go full hog and get the dash covered in leather while I'm at it. Took it to a local upholstery shop and they gave it a shot, and it came out really nice! I do regret not providing them all the trim pieces since there were a few fitment issues due to the added thickness. Nitpicking it's not as good as the BMW factory, but it really is SO much nicer now that I'm not staring at plastic. I'm gonna keep this car for many more years so I'm happy how my project turned out .

Being my first time taking out a dash, it took me if I had to guess 8+ hours for the whole swap? Worked 1-2 hours for several days. The most important part is organizing all your fasteners. All the trim uses phillips head screws except the airbags and center rear console which use torx and ultimately the dash has two 10mm nuts holding it as well. A LOT has to come out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 04:41 AM   #18
RvsBmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed_fan View Post
This post inspired me and so I took the plunge on swapping my dash out as well. I always thought it was a shame that the extended leather option didn't include the dash like other models. So I decided to go full hog and get the dash covered in leather while I'm at it. Took it to a local upholstery shop and they gave it a shot, and it came out really nice! I do regret not providing them all the trim pieces since there were a few fitment issues due to the added thickness. Nitpicking it's not as good as the BMW factory, but it really is SO much nicer now that I'm not staring at plastic. I'm gonna keep this car for many more years so I'm happy how my project turned out .

Being my first time taking out a dash, it took me if I had to guess 8+ hours for the whole swap? Worked 1-2 hours for several days. The most important part is organizing all your fasteners. All the trim uses phillips head screws except the airbags and center rear console which use torx and ultimately the dash has two 10mm nuts holding it as well. A LOT has to come out.
Looks very good. I'm looking for this too, but need also doorcards and middle console. Mine didn't came with extended leather .

But did swap it already from nav tot non-nav last month . The BMW dealer did like the job. Only my aux port isn't working anymore.. hope it can still works with the radio.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #19
zed_fan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvsBmw View Post
Looks very good. I'm looking for this too, but need also doorcards and middle console. Mine didn't came with extended leather .

But did swap it already from nav tot non-nav last month . The BMW dealer did like the job. Only my aux port isn't working anymore.. hope it can still works with the radio.
The aux port next to the cigarette lighter? That is disconnected from the back of the radio harness when removing it. They probably forgot reconnect it so you'd need to remove the radio and fish out the cable.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #20
RvsBmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed_fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvsBmw View Post

The aux port next to the cigarette lighter? That is disconnected from the back of the radio harness when removing it. They probably forgot reconnect it so you'd need to remove the radio and fish out the cable.
It's on the underside of the dashboard. I hope it's the connection . Also the sport button isn't working, so have to check that too. Bit disappointed at pickup haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #21
zed_fan
Private
Rep

Ahhh that sucks man. There really isn't any room to connect the sport button and they have to remove the center console again . Hopefully they fix their mistake and not charge more time to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #22
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

dash looks nice mate :_)