ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

E85 Z4 Roadster vs E86 Z4 Coupe (Seats Backward!)

Hello Z4 people! I’ve tried google, I’ve tried search function. Here I am testing out everyone’s knowledge!

I’ve found an off the shelf half roll cage that fits the Z4 Coupe. It work great and many people on the forum are happy with the quality etc.

See Here: https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...ight=ROLL+CAGE

A custom roll cage is a large undertaking….and I’m discovering not easy to come by these days unless you’re building a stripped car. So I’m very much considering ordering one of these cages for the coupe and seeing if it fits the roadster (and/or what modification it needs to work).

I am wondering if anyone knows of the actual differences between the roadster and coupe bulkhead and strut location. So far as I can tell they are completely the same minus the roll hoops of the roadster. It would make sense that they wouldn’t retool an entire line just to make the coupe originally but if anyone can back up my presumption it would be uber helpful. Anyway, happy to hear your insights!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Following
I am guessing you are removing the soft top permanently?

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Hello Z4 people! I’ve tried google, I’ve tried search function. Here I am testing out everyone’s knowledge!

I’ve found an off the shelf half roll cage that fits the Z4 Coupe. It work great and many people on the forum are happy with the quality etc.

See Here: https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...ight=ROLL+CAGE

A custom roll cage is a large undertaking….and I’m discovering not easy to come by these days unless you’re building a stripped car. So I’m very much considering ordering one of these cages for the coupe and seeing if it fits the roadster (and/or what modification it needs to work).

I am wondering if anyone knows of the actual differences between the roadster and coupe bulkhead and strut location. So far as I can tell they are completely the same minus the roll hoops of the roadster. It would make sense that they wouldn’t retool an entire line just to make the coupe originally but if anyone can back up my presumption it would be uber helpful. Anyway, happy to hear your insights!
Can't answer your question David but here is a stripped coupe shell pic and a stripped roadie shell pic.
Roadie is local to us, seeing as the pic is grainy.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

The bulkhead is the same for roadie and coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Following
I am guessing you are removing the soft top permanently?
That's the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Can't answer your question David but here is a stripped coupe shell pic and a stripped roadie shell pic.
Roadie is local to us, seeing as the pic is grainy.
I am in touch with the one for sale 'locally' and mainly the reason why I posted as I'm trying to find a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
The bulkhead is the same for roadie and coupe.
That's a start!!! I would assume the rear struts would also be in the same position. Which is the main goal.

-------------------------

Just to keep everyone in the loop of what I'm looking into here. I checked in with Wiechers GmbH for the cage. Unfortunately they offer a thin wall on their cages. I asked if they could substitute tubing and they were unwilling to quote or do. So custom cage/half cage might be the only option.

-------------------------
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #6
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Just to keep everyone in the loop of what I'm looking into here. I checked in with Wiechers GmbH for the cage. Unfortunately they offer a thin wall on their cages. I asked if they could substitute tubing and they were unwilling to quote or do. So custom cage/half cage might be the only option.
Let me know who you do end up using. I wonder if is even possible to keep the soft top on any custom half cage.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Let me know who you do end up using. I wonder if is even possible to keep the soft top on any custom half cage.
The short answer is that yes it's possible, but custom and my not fit the rules where you intend to race. Plus it would be custom only. This is why I'll be removing the soft top and why I picked up a hard top for the inclement weather days
Appreciate 1
kyriian872.00