ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-25-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
jharris344
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Question Carver DSP Amp & Stereo Delete

Hey, guys. Purchased a used 2003 Z4 3.0 with navigation. Car was delivered without the nav unit and the amp is waterlogged and practically useless.

Decided to replace the amp and stereo with aftermarket. Do I need to re-run all wiring (Amp, speakers, head unit), can I use existing wiring or will it have to be hybrid? I'm a noob when it comes to audio tech, but I can follow instructions well enough. I was able to update the OEM stereo to aftermarket stereo in my 2004 Z4 2.5 without much issue a few months back. Thought this was going to be as easy...

Also, any suggestions on amps? Don't want to over or under spend.

Last edited by jharris344; 01-25-2022 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
jharris344
Rep

Smile Diving in!

OK, so I bought a Planet Audio 5 channel amp (AC1800.5) and a wiring kit to go along with my Boss HU (BCPA9). Have the same HU in my 2004 Z4 and I like it. Going to try to wire it all up this weekend.

I'm going to first attempt to use the current wiring guide found at the link below to connect speaker wires and power. Worst case scenario, I have to re-run speaker wiring, power and signal from HU. Best case, I only have to re-run signal from HU. Worst-worst case, nothing works either way.

Going to test by running power to amp, wiring up the speakers and running signal from HU to amp over the back seat and into trunk. If it works, then I'll proceed. If not, then I'll regroup. I'll keep you guys posted.

http://www.billswebspace.com/A18%20Amplifier.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:00 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris344 View Post
OK, so I bought a Planet Audio 5 channel amp (AC1800.5) and a wiring kit to go along with my Boss HU (BCPA9). Have the same HU in my 2004 Z4 and I like it. Going to try to wire it all up this weekend.

I'm going to first attempt to use the current wiring guide found at the link below to connect speaker wires and power. Worst case scenario, I have to re-run speaker wiring, power and signal from HU. Best case, I only have to re-run signal from HU. Worst-worst case, nothing works either way.

Going to test by running power to amp, wiring up the speakers and running signal from HU to amp over the back seat and into trunk. If it works, then I'll proceed. If not, then I'll regroup. I'll keep you guys posted.

http://www.billswebspace.com/A18%20Amplifier.htm
I don't profess to be an audio expert, but I understand that the OEM speakers are 4 ohm and so you will need corresponding equipment to drive them!!??

If you have replaced them with aftermarket then disregard.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
jharris344
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I don't profess to be an audio expert, but I understand that the OEM speakers are 4 ohm and so you will need corresponding equipment to drive them!!??

If you have replaced them with aftermarket then disregard.
I kinda figured as much. The amp I bought runs at 2 or 4 ohms so I'm hoping it'll work with the current setup (assuming I set everything up correctly). If not, it's a short drive to my local auto stereo store. I bought 4 aftermarket speakers from Crutchfield, but after looking at the specs they too are 4 ohm. Hopefully, I can use them. If not, I'll return them and get something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 12:04 AM   #5
jharris344
Rep

Smile

OK. Took me a bit to figure out my amp wasn't grounded properly, but a bit of success.

1. The Planet Audio 5 channel amp (AC1800.5) is HUGE!!!! Was too busy looking at the specs to think about the dimensions. Unless you don't like trunk space get a smaller amp.

2. Going to have to run RCA and remote turn-on cabling from HU to amp in trunk.

3. I'm able to use existing wiring in the trunk so won't have to rewire speakers from amp. Can just use existing.

4. Using a Metra wire harness for just power, accessory and remote turn-on.

So far everything has been super simple. Plan on finishing my test run tomorrow by wiring up all speakers to the amp. If everything looks good I'll start running the RCA and remote cabling from the HU to the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 03:10 PM   #6
jharris344
Rep

Was able to run my wires from the trunk to the dash and connect to HU. HU and amp are pretty much set up. Just have have to wire them to the speakers and I'm done. Will finish up during the week because it's getting cold again here in Orlando. No bomb cyclone, but it was 39 this AM and not it's in the low 60s!!! Parka and chili time.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
jharris344
Rep

Pics of Progress

Here are a few pics of my progress. Still at the point where I need to start wiring the speakers to the amps. Hopeful that I can get this completed this by the weekend. Still have a bit more cleanup to do as far as hiding the wires and securing the amp. But, can worry about that after everything is wired.

Then on to my top replacement.

The updates seem never ending. LOL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
XMetal1131.00
      02-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #8
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Looks good.

And Maldives Blue. Can't go wrong.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:43 AM   #9
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

The electronics geek in me wants to scold you for apparently not knowing what a soldering iron is. But this is a very ambitious project so I'm letting it slide. Still, some solder and shrink tubing might be something to consider investing in.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:51 AM   #10
jharris344
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
The electronics geek in me wants to scold you for apparently not knowing what a soldering iron is. But this is a very ambitious project so I'm letting it slide. Still, some solder and shrink tubing might be something to consider investing in.
LOL. I was hoping someone would pipe in after seeing the photos. Great idea. I have a soldering iron lying around somewhere and I'll grab some shrink tubing from AMZ or Lowes. Might redo my other Z4 as well. I'm using wire caps there as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #11
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
Nice work-I wish i had the energy to do that!

You should do a blue bus install while it's torn apart.