ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-03-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
Spec-Al
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Z4 non M - Control arm and FCAB options

Refreshing my Z4 non M front suspension. Is there any reason not to go with the OEM Z4M offset FCABs and Z4M/E46 ZHP front control arms? I want to stick with BMW designed components where possible. Forum surfing indicates that these pieces are compatible with the Z4 non M, but it doesn't seem to be that popular even though it should be a slight improvement (slight neg camber, caster increase, upgraded ball joints). Not sure if there's a reason why... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-Al View Post
Refreshing my Z4 non M front suspension. Is there any reason not to go with the OEM Z4M offset FCABs and Z4M/E46 ZHP front control arms? I want to stick with BMW designed components where possible. Forum surfing indicates that these pieces are compatible with the Z4 non M, but it doesn't seem to be that popular even though it should be a slight improvement (slight neg camber, caster increase, upgraded ball joints). Not sure if there's a reason why... Thanks!
None really other than I noticed I rubbed the front liners when I ran something slightly taller than stock tire diameters. Folks may not run them b/c they're pretty expensive from what I recall (versus the non-offset arms) and you could probably get desired specs by just getting camber plates.
      05-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Definitely go with the ZHP/Z4M control arms at a minimum. Those have the same geometry as stock, but last way longer and have some improved steering feel.

The Z4M bushings will be more personal preference. On my ZHP I loved how they made the car feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Spec-Al
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Cool, thanks for the input folks!

Terraphantm Do some people not like the way the offset bushings feel? I run offset M3 bushings on my E30 race car, it wasn't hugely noticeable on its own imo.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-Al View Post
Cool, thanks for the input folks!

Terraphantm Do some people not like the way the offset bushings feel? I run offset M3 bushings on my E30 race car, it wasn't hugely noticeable on its own imo.
I haven't heard anyone complain. But, in addition to being offset, the Z4M bushings are solid rubber instead of being hydrobushings - there are probably some people who wouldn't like the slight increase in NVH.
Appreciate 0