ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

DIY For Back-Up Camera for the Coupe

I was wondering if someone has a DIY link or useful tips for installing a back up camera on the E86 In particular I am looking for some tips / pics about how people were running the camera wires from the bumper into the cabin. I am looking to install this camera

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I installed a back-up camera years ago in my coupe. My memory's a bit fuzzy but here are some tips.

I had to purchase a video interface from NavTool to connect the camera to the DVD navigation computer. If you already have a form of video input, then you won't need this. The NavTool also supports two video interfaces so a front camera can be installed (I never got around to doing that so I can't comment on how that goes).

What I also remember was I had to remove all the carpet and paneling in the trunk to get to the DVD system to connect the NavTool and wire everything up. The bumper also has to come off for the camera installation and if I remember correctly, I didn't have to do any drilling anywhere on the car. I just ran the wires along with everything else through the frame.

It was more time-consuming than it was difficult. I think the hardest thing was figuring out which wires to tap for power. To toggle the rear camera, and I tapped the reverse lights.

Lastly, if yours has guide lines keep in mind they won't be ideal for our car. I think most guide lines are designed to account for taller vehicles. So do some careful experimenting after you install it to make a mental note of which lines mean what distance from an object. If you go without lines that's also an option (most cameras have you snip a wire to disable guide lines).

When I installed mine I was an absolute newbie at this kind of stuff so it took about five hours because I wanted to be extra careful, I had an extra step at modding a camera with a license plate light, and I was also a dummy at figuring out all the wiring. If I had to do this again today I estimate the work would take two hours or less. Depending on your experience, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
      03-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep

shame that the rear bumper needs to come off but i thought that was going to be the case
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I did not remove my rear bumper for install but I also installed my camera in a lower position in the mesh area. I recall there was a rubber grommet in the trunk floor area that I poked through to get into the car. I DID run a front camera and I routed the lines behind the aero side skirt and then up to the battery area where the nav module was located. I installed the switch for the front camera under the radio on that panel that has the aux input. I also recall the module I purchased needed to be installed to the back of the DVD and I was able to attach it (with a lot of patience) from the rear of the vehicle and did not need to remove the DVD unit.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
I did not remove my rear bumper for install but I also installed my camera in a lower position in the mesh area. I recall there was a rubber grommet in the trunk floor area that I poked through to get into the car. I DID run a front camera and I routed the lines behind the aero side skirt and then up to the battery area where the nav module was located. I installed the switch for the front camera under the radio on that panel that has the aux input. I also recall the module I purchased needed to be installed to the back of the DVD and I was able to attach it (with a lot of patience) from the rear of the vehicle and did not need to remove the DVD unit.
Thanks for this useful bit of information! its much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Thats good info, i snake mine up the bumper, but didn't like it.. im going to look for that hole too in the coming weeks.
      07-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725200 Download the drop box file. These two thread was in 2 separate sections..

On the bumper section there is a spot where the wire comes in. i'm going to do that on mine when I fix my bumper too. Thats the hole in to use that was referenced above