ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

IMG hosting??

IDK if anyone else has been experiencing what a PITA Photobucket has become??? (common issue searched on Google)

It has become impossible to even upload pics without waiting & waiting & waiting.
Album organizing is horrid and post date sorting is pathetic....
I liked PB because it was easy to post direct [img] code without having to link back to like sites such as Flickr. (I know there are work arounds but their TOS calls for link back)

Anyone have a good alternate to PB?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Photobucket is HORRIBLE these days! I still have my old account but never touch it.

I didn't know Flickr requires a link-back to their site. I have been using it for years, direct linking photos via IMG tags and have never had an issue. It's as simple as right click -> copy image URL, and you're good to go. There was a very short period where they played around with it and actually made the feature very, very difficult to use but it seemed like only a short trial, things went back to normal very quickly (likely due to how many complaints they received).

I just took a look now at the FAQ. It seems they do 'require' the photos to link back to Flickr, but actually provide BB code that allows you to do it in a very non-invasive way.

Quote:
The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in the Share menu on the photo, to the left of the More menu. We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)

There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.

The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.
Here's a test below of the 'flickr approved' BB coded photo, copy pasted from flickr:

dynoDSC07212 by Matt, on Flickr

Edit:
Even then, it's really easy to take out your name/photo file name from the URL after pasted. All in all, I'd still prefer it well over Photobucket!

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

I have an old Flickr account, must have been about the time they were making it difficult.

I'll it a shot. Anything is better than PB.

test;

test 2

Last edited by inTgr8r; 01-27-2016 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

For quick uploads (no acct, no albums) I like postimage.org. Use it all the time for stuff on here.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
For quick uploads (no acct, no albums) I like postimage.org. Use it all the time for stuff on here.
I used to do that with imageshack, and just referenced the threads for the actual photo links after I had uploaded them. Everything is everywhere these days anyways.

I haven't even gone back to image shack in god knows how long. The convenience of some of the other sites, like PhotoBucket (not sure about flickr) is the availability to upload straight from your device and not have to connect it to your PC. However, given some or most of these are taken on professional cameras, I don't see that being a selling point for most members.
      01-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
I used to do that with imageshack, and just referenced the threads for the actual photo links after I had uploaded them. Everything is everywhere these days anyways.

I haven't even gone back to image shack in god knows how long. The convenience of some of the other sites, like PhotoBucket (not sure about flickr) is the availability to upload straight from your device and not have to connect it to your PC. However, given some or most of these are taken on professional cameras, I don't see that being a selling point for most members.
Flickr mobile app trumps the Photobucket mobile app IMO! Considering changing over, I don't think you'll regret it!

Heck, if enough people were interested on here and on Flickr I'd say we should start a Flickr photo group, where you include the photos in the group when uploading to Flickr. Pretty easy to do, I've been a part of other groups like this and it's cool to see what pics people are adding as they upload/tag them.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Used Flickr in my garage thread.
Massive improvement over PB.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Flickr mobile app trumps the Photobucket mobile app IMO! Considering changing over, I don't think you'll regret it!

Heck, if enough people were interested on here and on Flickr I'd say we should start a Flickr photo group, where you include the photos in the group when uploading to Flickr. Pretty easy to do, I've been a part of other groups like this and it's cool to see what pics people are adding as they upload/tag them.
That actually sounds pretty awesome. I'll have to check out the mobile app! Thanks!