ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Asleep undergoing surgery

Ha,

5am this morning looked like a cool pic at the time.
Torn apart for a myriad of maintenance and performance upgrades.

Come on Spring
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Cool. Is that an attached garage with no door to the house? What kind of siding is on the inside wall? Also what do you do for heat? At 5am this morning it must've been like -10 degrees C.

Last edited by Twixboy; 01-06-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Cool. Is that an attached garage with no door to the house? What kind of siding is on the inside wall? Also what do you do for heat? At 5am this morning it must've been like -10 degrees C.
Door to the house is hidden to the right.
Steel siding cladding on walls and roof. It is fully insulated so a 5,000 btu portable construction heater hung from the ceiling does the job, also hidden to the right.
Damn at -10c up here in Canada we work with doors open and a tee shirt
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Door to the house is hidden to the right.
Steel siding cladding on walls and roof. It is fully insulated so a 5,000 btu portable construction heater hung from the ceiling does the job, also hidden to the right.
Damn at -10c up here in Canada we work with doors open and a tee shirt
Nice, I always love seeing pictures of other people's garages and hearing about what they've done to it. Mine is a blank slate right now, with unfinished concrete on 3 walls and the floor. I would love to install some insulation. I just bought a 18,000 Btu heater which should be enough to warm 1 garage bay. 5,000 Btu does nothing - that is like a space heater! Or maybe we are just sissies down here in the CONUS The lights mounted at an angle are a good idea if you do any detailing work.

What made you go with steel siding instead of sheetrock or greenboard?

PS - Are those new seats I see or are they your old ones?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice, I always love seeing pictures of other people's garages and hearing about what they've done to it. Mine is a blank slate right now, with unfinished concrete on 3 walls and the floor. I would love to install some insulation. I just bought a 18,000 Btu heater which should be enough to warm 1 garage bay. 5,000 Btu does nothing - that is like a space heater! Or maybe we are just sissies down here in the CONUS The lights mounted at an angle are a good idea if you do any detailing work.

Heater brings the temp to 50f quickly and its on a thermostat.
I manage a steel fabricating shop and have access to the siding.
The seats are not new. I pull them each year to do a good cleanup of the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

We'll have to start a garage thread, I'm in the middle of a major reno on mine now.
I closed off one bay with a new demising wall, fully insulated, drywall is up and 40k gas fired unit heater is up & running.
Doing it all myself, except I have a guy lined up to tape & mud the drywall (I've done enough of that over the years )
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Nice workspace! What performance upgrades are going in? I see some seats

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Nice workspace! What performance upgrades are going in? I see some seats
Thanks.
Most of the performance upgrades are already in my sig.
Not installed yet is the Magnaflow, Supersprint exhaust, smaller blower pulley and the 3.91 LSD
Lots of maintenance items like IM, exhaust, TB, Oil filter holder and oil pan gaskets etc.
The TTFS updated tune will be in the spring.
The seats are OEM recovered in Alcantara and leather.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
We'll have to start a garage thread,
Doing it all myself, except I have a guy lined up to tape & mud the drywall (I've done enough of that over the years )
Agreed Ian. I was inspired to do the steel cladding from a picture.

Drywall taping and muddling sucks. Hanging the board is fun then I hand it off to the pros.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

With everything done to your car, arent you tempted to at least make a pit in your garage?
Or do you have a lot of groundwater seep where you live?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #12
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
With everything done to your car, arent you tempted to at least make a pit in your garage?
Do you know how expensive that would be? You could probably buy 5 lifts for the price to build a garage pit It's probably not legal in Canada either. Even in my town in Massachusetts it's extremely hard to get a permit to build a water drain in my garage unless your property is sloped properly. No way they would let me build a pit, and Canada is usually stricter than the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

It's digging a hole in the ground
I don't know if you need a permit for that.

A lift wouldn't fit in that garage I think
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

those low twin scissor portable lifts would work, but then you also need space to store them
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's digging a hole in the ground
I don't know if you need a permit for that.

A lift wouldn't fit in that garage I think
I take it you are kidding You need a permit for everything here, whether you are building a shed or installing a toilet.

Quote:
those low twin scissor portable lifts would work, but then you also need space to store them
Yup, it always comes down to storage space. Ideally with a garage like that, you also have a shed next to the house to store your lawn equipment and bulky items. How heavy is a scissor lift anyways? Can you move it around or does it need to stay in the garage?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #16
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
I take it you are kidding
No I'm not kidding.
I'm not very familiar with building and planning permits in the US or Canada, however we obviously have them in europe too (usually more strickt...), and I have worked for 10 years in that field, and I'm still wondering if you'd need a permit here.
I mean there's no thermal barrier to breach or constructual barrier to break.
I don't think it's that clear or obvious as you say it is.

The only think I could think of is that I vaguely remember something about all things below 1ft in the ground belonging to the state (in my country) in some ancient mining law.....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Believe me sometimes after a full day outside on the ground under the car I am tempted and it would not be that difficult. Permission would be given by me to me, I pay enough taxes. For now I still limber enough to crawl around and after this off season I should be done for quite a while in regards to undercarriage or underside car work.

My retirement shack will have a fully outfitted garage so in my old age I can still tinker.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #18
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Those are handy Ian, in the plans for the "geriatric garage"....... Hey could be the next Speed Channel car show
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #19
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

^ LOL I can definitely relate to that.
Appreciate 0