ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #133
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I've lost several jobs over the years from this right here. A supervisor who is threatened, by me, being able to get shit done versus their inexperience and their ability to kiss the owners ass.

I've never been that guy. I'm not rude, but I don't sugar coat shit. If a CEO comes to me with a problem, rather than saying yes sir and blowing smoke up his ass, I break down the entire scenario, highlight potential issues and then provide solutions to said issues. Not to sound like an ass, but I'd love to have 10 of me working for me.
If anything, I hate it when stuff is sugar coated for me. I can be an ass about it, definitely, but like with that club what ended happening was I messed up last semester, and I told the president/vice president multiple times to tell me if they thought I messed up too. Every single time, "oh no pickle you're doing good! keep up the good work!!"

Then over the summer, the old president hits me up. I was never tight with the guy so for him to be like "hey lets grab dinner" was an odd request; he flat out told me that the current guys hated my performance. When we got back I told them to tell stuff to my face instead of talk behind my back to a guy who graduated a semester ago...

I just feel like there's a way of saying this sort of stuff. You can easily say "yea you suck" (like my mentor did this summer), but that's not going to go well with anyone because you're not giving examples on how to improve, and so on.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
NEFARIOUS431.00
      09-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #134
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
I did something similar at a company that I worked a few years ago. I kept up with every penny that I saved the company in comparison to what they asked me spend, hoping this would help better my position all while demonstrating what my capabilities are. After a year of this, I presented it to the plant manager who laughed, then got upset with me over it. He explained that he wasn't paying me to undermine him. He then yelled at me and told me to go do my job.
That guy is an idiot. How the fuck is it undermining him when you’re gifting him material that he can simply take credit for?

I mean you gave it to him, it’s not like you went over his head or made him look bad to someone else...

Quote:
Not to sound like an ass, but I'd love to have 10 of me working for me.
This is not a good idea, team productivity will grind to a dead halt on whack off Wednesday
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #135
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Sugarcoating things or beating around the bush is also a pet peeve of mine, particularly if you’re about to deliver bad news. You’re already giving me a problem that i’ll have to waste time and energy dealing with, the least thing you can do is not waste more of my time waiting for you to get to the fucking point
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #136
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
That guy is an idiot. How the fuck is it undermining him when you’re gifting him material that he can simply take credit for?

I mean you gave it to him, it’s not like you went over his head or made him look bad to someone else...

This is not a good idea, team productivity will grind to a dead halt on whack off Wednesday
He felt that my trying to find a cheaper product than what he requested was undermining him as his boss would ask why he didn't do the research before he requested for me to purchase.

Everyday is Wednesday at my house! Sometimes I do it....sometimes the girlfriend handles it.....sometimes, I handle it for the girlfriend.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #137
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Another pet peeve of mine is mindless conversation. When I see someone and ask how they are doing, I'm genuinely asking how they are. I am not asking for the following responses: "I'm living the dream", "Riding around", "If I was doing any better I'd be twins", etc. One that I recently heard that I found amusing was "I'm as fine as snuff and not half as dusty." That was a new one, but soon everyone will be saying it too.

I have also come to find that some people will also use "How are you?" as a means od dumping all their problems on you. I avoid these people. Yes, I did ask how you are, but I am not your therapist.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #138
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
I've lost several jobs over the years from this right here. A supervisor who is threatened, by me, being able to get shit done versus their inexperience and their ability to kiss the owners ass.

I've never been that guy. I'm not rude, but I don't sugar coat shit. If a CEO comes to me with a problem, rather than saying yes sir and blowing smoke up his ass, I break down the entire scenario, highlight potential issues and then provide solutions to said issues. Not to sound like an ass, but I'd love to have 10 of me working for me.

Lol....this is me right here.

I'm known as the guy that crushes people's requests. Other managers who sit in their office all day go to the president with these great ideas, and he comes to me.

I lay out how it will affect our state and federal permits, if it involves regulatory restrictions, what those may be, and how much it would actually cost to bring it to fruition.

Unless it's a substantial cost saver or enhances production, it gets squashed pretty quickly. Most of the requests are for things that allow the managers to get out of doing which is really their due diligence.

Also the president comes to me every month for cost analysis....and the CFO wonders why? I don't sugar coat anything. You tell it for what it is, and you don't have to worry about being bitten later.

But you make enemies. The Manufacturing Manager has actually told his guys they aren't supposed to talk to me......but its because they highlight his shortcomings. And if the President asks me a question, I'm not going to lie to protect anyone even if it means I incriminate myself.

It's work....and we are all there to make it successful and ultimately profitable for the owner. So I treat the company's finances like I treat my personal finances while others have the attitude that oh well.....it's not my money.

That infuriates me!
MKSixer34171.50
      09-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #139
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Lol....this is me right here.

I'm known as the guy that crushes people's requests. Other managers who sit in their office all day go to the president with these great ideas, and he comes to me.

I lay out how it will affect our state and federal permits, if it involves regulatory restrictions, what those may be, and how much it would actually cost to bring it to fruition.

Unless it's a substantial cost saver or enhances production, it gets squashed pretty quickly. Most of the requests are for things that allow the managers to get out of doing which is really their due diligence.

Also the president comes to me every month for cost analysis....and the CFO wonders why? I don't sugar coat anything. You tell it for what it is, and you don't have to worry about being bitten later.

But you make enemies. The Manufacturing Manager has actually told his guys they aren't supposed to talk to me......but its because they highlight his shortcomings. And if the President asks me a question, I'm not going to lie to protect anyone even if it means I incriminate myself.

It's work....and we are all there to make it successful and ultimately profitable for the owner. So I treat the company's finances like I treat my personal finances while others have the attitude that oh well.....it's not my money.

That infuriates me!
We are, in fact, cut from the same cloth. Uncanny the similarities between us. I have people here that always come to me with issues as they know I'll provide a solution, and then there are those that are afraid to come to me, because they know I will instantly shoot them down. The difference is that if you come to me with a problem, I will provide a solution; if you come to me with a solution, I'll find 10 problems with it. It's not that I'm an asshole (I mean, I am, but that's a irrelevant here.) but part of what I get paid for is my knowledge and understanding of how things work, processes, environmental conditions, etc., basically to plan around the unforeseen that most people miss. There are always underlying factors involved.

I truly miss working for a leader/motivator rather than a "manager." I'm the type of person who gets excited about projects, likes being involved and getting my hands dirty too; but this environment has seriously turned me into a "fuck it, pay me and let me go home" guy. It's killing me.

Last edited by King Rudi; 09-18-2019 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
vreihen1614898.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #140
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine is mindless conversation. When I see someone and ask how they are doing, I'm genuinely asking how they are. I am not asking for the following responses: "I'm living the dream", "Riding around", "If I was doing any better I'd be twins", etc. One that I recently heard that I found amusing was "I'm as fine as snuff and not half as dusty." That was a new one, but soon everyone will be saying it too.

I have also come to find that some people will also use "How are you?" as a means od dumping all their problems on you. I avoid these people. Yes, I did ask how you are, but I am not your therapist.
I think your expectation of a meaningful conversation after asking "how are you doing" is misguided. "How are you" is generally akin to whats up, hi, hey, hows it going, etc. Its simply a common greeting and in a sense somewhat rhetorical as most people dont expect and long-winded genuine response back. At least that is how I view and seemingly anyone else I encounter.

I think the funny/sarcastic responses you listed are actually more normal than if someone where to go into a deep explanation of how they are actually doing. If I am grabbing my morning coffee and say hi how are you doing to a coworker in the kitchen I would find it strange if they offered up some in-depth answer into their personal well-being.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #141
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I think your expectation of a meaningful conversation after asking "how are you doing" is misguided. "How are you" is generally akin to whats up, hi, hey, hows it going, etc. Its simply a common greeting and in a sense somewhat rhetorical as most people dont expect and long-winded genuine response back. At least that is how I view and seemingly anyone else I encounter.

I think the funny/sarcastic responses you listed are actually more normal than if someone where to go into a deep explanation of how they are actually doing. If I am grabbing my morning coffee and say hi how are you doing to a coworker in the kitchen I would find it strange if they offered up some in-depth answer into their personal well-being.
Valid point. I also hate it when people dump their personal drama on me. I guess my post is more directed at personal conversation. Not in just a general passing of, "hey, how you doing" and keep moving; but more so of actually trying to talk to someone.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #142
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Valid point. I also hate it when people dump their personal drama on me. I guess my post is more directed at personal conversation. Not in just a general passing of, "hey, how you doing" and keep moving; but more so of actually trying to talk to someone.

Same here. I find myself gravitating towards hermit status as I get older....or at least I feel that way.

But I probably brought it upon myself. I've always been the type to go the extra mile, and have always helped people when I can as I hate to see anyone get taken advantage of.

But now I feel like I'm the one being taking advantage of. I'm usually a cheerful guy, but if you piss me off......don't bother me anymore.

I used to be better, but now I only give limited chances.
      09-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #143
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Old threads bumped.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #144
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

With all the annoying things my employees do in the workplace, i am thinking of recruiting an Office Linebacker position, as pioneered by Felcher & Sons when they hired “Terrible” Terry Tate.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      09-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #145
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
With all the annoying things my employees do in the workplace, i am thinking of recruiting an Office Linebacker position, as pioneered by Felcher & Sons when they hired “Terrible” Terry Tate.
I was just watching those videos on youtube last week. Amazing bit of cinema.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #146
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Same here. I find myself gravitating towards hermit status as I get older....or at least I feel that way.

But I probably brought it upon myself. I've always been the type to go the extra mile, and have always helped people when I can as I hate to see anyone get taken advantage of.

But now I feel like I'm the one being taking advantage of. I'm usually a cheerful guy, but if you piss me off......don't bother me anymore.

I used to be better, but now I only give limited chances.
I'm getting this way, too. And it doesn't even bother me that much.

To Rudi's point, though.... If you're a close friend of mine, you're going to hear about all the shit and drama in my life. I wish I didn't do that, but I have to vent.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      09-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #147
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeaches View Post

To Rudi's point, though.... If you're a cold-calling vendor, you're going to hear about all the shit and drama in my life. I wish I didn't do that, but I have to vent.
FTFY
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      09-20-2019, 04:50 AM   #148
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeaches View Post

To Rudi's point, though.... If you're a close friend of mine, you're going to hear about all the shit and drama in my life. I wish I didn't do that, but I have to vent.
Understand completely. We are the people that others vent to for some reason. But if we don't get a chance to vent..it can be bad. I use the gym as my way of venting.
      09-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #149
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Understand completely. We are the people that others vent to for some reason. But if we don't get a chance to vent..it can be bad. I use the gym as my way of venting.
Everyone needs an outlet. The gym is just as good, if not better than any.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      09-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #150
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Pet Peeve of the day:

I hate when people say "I know I'm supposed to follow the [insert process here] but I need this done as soon as possible". Nope, fuck you, there is a process for a reason and you are no more important than anyone else at your level.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
bobowar1353479.00
Rmtt8206.00
      09-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #151
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

New pet peeves this morning.

My day started off by being woke up at 4:00 with my phone going ape shit. One msg right after another until I woke up and saw what was going on. I received 42 picture msgs of a 300 pound woman playing with a dildo and snorting a powdery white substance. Once I finally woke up enough to wrap my mind around what was going on, I sent a msg asking "Who is this???" She sends a message back giving her name, stating that she met me on Tinder or POF. I then let her know that she clearly had the wrong number and that she woke me up sending naked pictures of herself and pictures of her doing drugs. She then sends me a picture of her social security card, then a picture of her drivers license. Who the fuck sends this shit at 4:00 a.m. People with mental health issues and on whatever drugs should not be allowed to have cell phones. Can we get some red flag laws for cell phones please???

Once I get to work, our production supervisor, who has the mentality of a 4 year old, has asked his team to come in on their day off to work on 5S projects. He gave them no instructions whatsoever of how to organize what they are working on, a desired end result nor did any planning for the amount of material or tools that they need to complete the project; then he took a vacation day today. After being woke up early by obese cell phone porn from the mentally obtuse then having to explain to the girlfriend, who was asleep next to me while all this was happening, I have now spent the rest of my morning doing someone else's job for them.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #152
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Another pet peeve:

Bmw owners and their forums.

There, I said it!

Women who literally sit on the fucking steering wheel. I mean Jesus Christ, leave a couple of inches between your tits and the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #153
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
New pet peeves this morning.

My day started off by being woke up at 4:00 with my phone going ape shit. One msg right after another until I woke up and saw what was going on. I received 42 picture msgs of a 300 pound woman playing with a dildo and snorting a powdery white substance. Once I finally woke up enough to wrap my mind around what was going on, I sent a msg asking "Who is this???" She sends a message back giving her name, stating that she met me on Tinder or POF. I then let her know that she clearly had the wrong number and that she woke me up sending naked pictures of herself and pictures of her doing drugs. She then sends me a picture of her social security card, then a picture of her drivers license. Who the fuck sends this shit at 4:00 a.m. People with mental health issues and on whatever drugs should not be allowed to have cell phones. Can we get some red flag laws for cell phones please???

Once I get to work, our production supervisor, who has the mentality of a 4 year old, has asked his team to come in on their day off to work on 5S projects. He gave them no instructions whatsoever of how to organize what they are working on, a desired end result nor did any planning for the amount of material or tools that they need to complete the project; then he took a vacation day today. After being woke up early by obese cell phone porn from the mentally obtuse then having to explain to the girlfriend, who was asleep next to me while all this was happening, I have now spent the rest of my morning doing someone else's job for them.
LOL...you just made my day. Now I don't feel so bad.

Thanks!
      09-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #154
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Pet Peeve of the day:

I hate when people say "I know I'm supposed to follow the [insert process here] but I need this done as soon as possible". Nope, fuck you, there is a process for a reason and you are no more important than anyone else at your level.
Typically asked by people who have no clue as to what is really involved in anything. That's why there is a process in the first place!!