ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-18-2023, 08:48 AM   #1
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

2003 E85 suspension upgrade

Fresh out of storage and aiming to replace the OEM strut/shock setup on my E85. I think I'm settled with Bilstein. So, which product to go with? B4 vs. B6 vs. B8

https://workshop.bilstein.com/en-us/...ison-b4-b6-b8/

I do have the 3.0i engine w/ sport suspension, so that probably narrows it down to B6 vs. B8. The link above points out that B8s accommodate lowered springs, but I'm just interested in keeping the stock spring height. Which to choose?
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 09:16 AM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
In general the B4= Touring (Black), B6= Heavy Duty (Yellow HD), B8= Sport (Yellow)

The B6 is designed around the OEM BMW spring and usually provides a significantly stiffer feel thank stock. In your situation I would go with B4 and be done with it.

Take a deeper look at this thread on the other Z4 forum https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106967
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
In general the B4= Touring (Black), B6= Heavy Duty (Yellow HD), B8= Sport (Yellow)

The B6 is designed around the OEM BMW spring and usually provides a significantly stiffer feel thank stock. In your situation I would go with B4 and be done with it.

Take a deeper look at this thread on the other Z4 forum https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106967
great link, helpful information in there, thx

you think the B4 over the B6? I do like a firmer ride, and the roads up here in the Minnesota upper midwest are not the smoothest, so I guess the question is how much do I want to feel those bumps?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 09:59 AM   #4
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It’s a tough call I would direct that to E85/E86 non-M owners with real world experience on these exact dampers.

I also live in the twin cities area and removed the KW Clubsport setup on my Z4M in favor of bilstein B16 PSS10 - a big improvement but someday I may try to soften it up even further (the chassis is so rigid to begin with)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:08 AM   #5
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep

Much of the vendors listing the B4s for sale have notes that specify for standard suspension, that's where my question is coming from. Feels like the B6 might be closer to the sport suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneapolisJeff View Post
Much of the vendors listing the B4s for sale have notes that specify for standard suspension, that's where my question is coming from. Feels like the B6 might be closer to the sport suspension setup.
There is lot of conflicting information out there surrounding B4/B6 usage in stock 'M-Sport' applications. Email or call Bimmerworld - they can likely provide a quick no nonsense answer. Locally I would try calling Orr Autosport in Eden Prairie

Suspensions are highly subjective and so many factors can affect the resultant ride comfort and performance (lowering, springs, bushings, wheel/tire size and compound, alignment, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:34 AM   #7
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
There is lot of conflicting information out there surrounding B4/B6 usage in stock 'M-Sport' applications. Email or call Bimmerworld - they can likely provide a quick no nonsense answer. Locally I would try calling Orr Autosport in Eden Prairie

Suspensions are highly subjective and so many factors can affect the resultant ride comfort and performance (lowering, springs, bushings, wheel/tire size and compound, alignment, etc.)
another good tip, I had Orr do some work for me last year, I'll give them a call
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:25 PM   #8
MarinerZ4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

My experience . . . .

I just replaced the struts/shocks on my 2006 3.0si Coupe (Sport suspension). I went with B4's after talking to a BMW master tech (son of a friend). He knows I daily-drive the car, and he recommended either Sachs or B4's because he felt the coupe was so stiff already that I would find the B6's too harsh. Suspension is personal and subjective, but I'm very happy. The suspension feels plenty controlled, but supple. I'm in Minnesota, and only a few of the roads around me are really smooth

I was also initially put off by Bilstein's recommendation that B4's be fitted to both Sport and non-Sport suspension. I think that they figure the non-Sport owners are probably looking for a firmer-than-stock ride and thus the B4 can do double duty. The longer stroke of the B4's compared with OE units did not seem to increase my car's static ride height.

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT
2008 128i Convertible (sold)
2005 325xi Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2023, 11:13 AM   #9
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerZ4C View Post
I just replaced the struts/shocks on my 2006 3.0si Coupe (Sport suspension). I went with B4's after talking to a BMW master tech (son of a friend). He knows I daily-drive the car, and he recommended either Sachs or B4's because he felt the coupe was so stiff already that I would find the B6's too harsh. Suspension is personal and subjective, but I'm very happy. The suspension feels plenty controlled, but supple. I'm in Minnesota, and only a few of the roads around me are really smooth

I was also initially put off by Bilstein's recommendation that B4's be fitted to both Sport and non-Sport suspension. I think that they figure the non-Sport owners are probably looking for a firmer-than-stock ride and thus the B4 can do double duty. The longer stroke of the B4's compared with OE units did not seem to increase my car's static ride height.
thanks, another vote for B4s, appreciate additional Minnesota feedback
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 11:03 AM   #10
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

I have a 2003 with the M-sport suspension as well. After talking with a few engineers at Bilstein I followed their recommendation to get the B8's. The B4 are straight replacements for a stock, NOT M-sport, suspension. The B6's are and upgrade for the stock, NOT M-sport, suspension. The M-sport is a factory lowered suspension and is best mated to the B8's. Hope this helps. BTW I started with engineers in Ohio and ended up talking with the Motorsports group in CA.
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2023, 07:42 PM   #11
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
I have a 04 2.5i with Sport suspension. I recently bought the original BMW sports suspension with the slightly shorter shaft to retain suspension travel. I also wanted to restore original ride with shock valving that matches the spring rate of the OEM Sport springs. I'm very happy with how my Z4 handles now. Shocks and struts were blown.

B4 has the closest valving setup to OEM. I've tried the other Bilstein variants but they were all on the firmer side for my taste. I live in Los Angeles and the roads are super HORRIBLE.

My SLK Mercedes is on B4's and the ride is awesome, it's so close to OEM smooth. No regrets.

Last edited by T-Bears; 05-21-2023 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2023, 04:16 PM   #12
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneapolisJeff View Post
another good tip, I had Orr do some work for me last year, I'll give them a call
So I spoke w/ Chris Orr and he threw another suggestion into the mix- SACHS. He said this would be the best bet to achieve the stock sport suspension feel that I said I'm after. Also mentioned the Bilsteins are pretty stiff, and in some cases, affect the ride height (negatively).

Sachs is the OEM product, correct? Only trouble i'm seeing with this brand is that I still see tons of mentions about applicable for standard suspension.

So now I don't know what to do LOL. But I'm starting to understand the recommendation for the B4s over the other Bilstein products.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 11:53 AM   #13
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Chris knows his stuff and SACHS were mentioned elsewhere in a few threads. Sometimes OK to not overthink it and go with OE/OEM solution, it will certainly feel much better than a tired old suspension. Have you addressed any of the bushings?

Most people going to Bilstein are seeking a slight drop (myself included), and for street driving it is stiffer than I would prefer.

I see a items on FCP Euro delineating between stock and sport suspension, on the rear with Sachs/Koni/Bilstein/OEM, less so on the front unless you go BMW. Deeper investigation necessary
Appreciate 2