ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2023, 12:06 PM   #1
Z4USAVA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 2.5,2003 535i,2016 X6

Z4 Roof Codes Insight Sought

I have a 2004 Z4. I removed the roof to replace the electric motor. The motor and roof is now installed but I am getting the following codes:

1C CVM: switch, convertible top closed, short circuit to ground
1F CVM: switch, cowl panel locked, short circuit to ground
22 CVM: cowl panel unlocked, short circuit to ground
25 CVM: switch, convertible top stowed, short circuit to ground

Both windshield and main electric motors operate but the roof button is flashing red on the console and roof is not moving. Any insight into or resolution of the four codes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 12:43 PM   #2
zed_fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, E60 M5 6MT

Issue with the wiring harness. Possibly a wire got pinched during reinstallation, also possible the insulation might be frayed somewhere causing wires to touch and short circuit. Hard to say. How do you know the roof motor works if the roof doesn't even move?

I had a similar set of codes but that was because I goofed when I replaced the headliner plastic and crushed a wire in the windshield motor. Then the computer got confused and threw a bunch of short circuiting codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 07:13 AM   #3
Z4USAVA
Registered
Rep

Thanks for your reply. When I press the roof control buttons I can hear both motors running. I tested the replacement motor on the roof before roof installation and roof worked. After installation, I also checked the continuity of the cables to the CVM module and to the windshield top motor and all cables have continuity.

I assume that the computer has disengaged the hydraulics from operating based on a signal from a switch or sensor. I closed the circuit to the micro-switch in the trunk. I have read about another sensor located on the driver's side in the roof. Do you know where its located? Any other thoughts?

Another member, Tominizer, indicated in his posting that positioning the roof from closed to fully open position then activating the controls might reset the system. I will try that today.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 11:00 AM   #4
zed_fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, E60 M5 6MT

Yeah that sensor is located in the driver side. It monitors if the the roof is locked or unlocked to the windshield. To get to it, you have to remove the plastic headliner trim and then undo all the torx bolts holding the fabric to the front of the roof. Then you're able to peel back the fabric enough to expose the sensor which is hidden under a piece of foam insulation.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea to see if it works in the fully open position. That might narrow it down to an issue in the windshield motor if it does indeed close. If you have ISTA you can use it view the state of all the sensors/actions on the roof so that could also help.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 04:11 PM   #5
Z4USAVA
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed_fan View Post
Yeah that sensor is located in the driver side. It monitors if the the roof is locked or unlocked to the windshield. To get to it, you have to remove the plastic headliner trim and then undo all the torx bolts holding the fabric to the front of the roof. Then you're able to peel back the fabric enough to expose the sensor which is hidden under a piece of foam insulation.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea to see if it works in the fully open position. That might narrow it down to an issue in the windshield motor if it does indeed close. If you have ISTA you can use it view the state of all the sensors/actions on the roof so that could also help.

Thanks for the additional information!
Appreciate 0