ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #45
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Blast from the past, Don't know if others have seen this or not...

I am going to do it and switch over to ///M roundels and debage the sides!
2007 Z4MC, 1" drop H&R Springs, Evolve Tunning, Headers, K&N Filter, RPI scoop, Red top high energy coils, UUC Red Poly mounts (none bolt-through), UUC Lightweight Flywheel with Organic Clutch and a custom exhaust with just one AeroTurbine muffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #46
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc View Post
Blast from the past, Don't know if others have seen this or not...

I am going to do it and switch over to ///M roundels and debage the sides!
-Make sure you account for the rotation fit of the marker base so your Ms will end up level with the centerline of the wheelbase (as opposed to actual level).
      02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #47
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Here's mine - Still looks good badged- with a little help!
Name:  FP3.JPG
Views: 669
Size:  428.7 KB
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #48
tribe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 MZ4 Roadster

Great idea for a mod! With a darker car, might be interesting to smoke tint the clear plastic.. I may have to give it a shot on my interlaggos blue z4m
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #49
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

Just did this last week - fairly easy with a dremel and the scoring method discussed in previous pages... tried hacksaw and just had trouble holding down the roundel, keeping the line straight etc... Precision is important but should be OVERSTATED as there's probably 1/8" that lives inside the fender, there's room for a certain level of error
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #50
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by speddmn View Post
Just did this last week - fairly easy with a dremel and the scoring method discussed in previous pages... tried hacksaw and just had trouble holding down the roundel, keeping the line straight etc... Precision is important but should be OVERSTATED as there's probably 1/8" that lives inside the fender, there's room for a certain level of error
I used a reciprocating belt sander to level out the cut but if you dont have that make the cut with some extra room for cleanup. Then tape down sheets of 80 then 120 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. That will clean up any uneveness of the dremel or anything else.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #51
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I haven't had the opportunity to pull things apart yet but I intend to do this. How have you guys been going about making sure you've got the roundel level before gluing and replacing it? Is it possible to reassemble everything then glue the roundel on once everything is back together?
      02-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #52
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
I did this last night in 20 minutes AFTER reading all the posts. Mark with a felt pen on the edges where the lens is a different shape near the light. I also marked where the top of the badge is - didn't remove it. Can also mark where the cross on the badge goes - all helps line up things after.

Mark cut line where you want it on the perimeter of the lens - I actually allowed a little more space because after you cut the lens, you remove what is left on the light/mounting ring and there is a small indent that the lens sits into originally. This actually gives you more surface area for the bonding agent - I used a 5 minute epoxy that was safe for plastic - worked fine and you have plenty of time to work aligning the badge part up.

I placed the badge side on a crumpled up cloth level and then put the epoxy around the edges. Lowered the lens on to the flat area and rotated until ALL the marks were lined up.
Don't really need any clamps or weight on it but you can - if it squirts out between wipe it off cause you aint gonna later!

One it sets put the light back in - I actually have an LED bulb there that is a LOT smaller than the original - white in fact so lots of room.

You can put some silicone spray on the rubber gasket and the tabs and it will be glued strongly enough to turn the light holder back into the piece on the car.IF you are worried that the lihjr housing will separate - pull out the mounting circle - feed the wire and light through - turn the hamburger in the fitting from the inside using the plastic tubes that stick up and then put it back in one piece. Not sure once this is done if it gives much light in the reverse direction for cars coming up on your rear quarter BUT it sure looks a lot better.
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #53
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I haven't had the opportunity to pull things apart yet but I intend to do this. How have you guys been going about making sure you've got the roundel level before gluing and replacing it? Is it possible to reassemble everything then glue the roundel on once everything is back together?
I used a fine point sharpie and drew a line from the bottom edge of the roundel all the way to the mounting plate across the lens - just realigned on that line after cutting down the lens.

And yes to the earlier post putting some sandpaper on the bench and just rubbing the edge against it until things get level is a prefectly fine approach, that's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #54
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
YES SIR that works as well - I left the roundel on as I had replaced the stock one with black and white and couldn't get it off if I wanted to
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #55
tribe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 MZ4 Roadster

Finally got around to doing this mod. Thanks to the OP for the great idea. I left the roundel on as others mentioned, and also preserved a tab when cutting down the plastic. Wasn't too difficult with a dremel. Finally, sprayed the inside of the plastic with VHT niteshades to give it a slight tint.

Here are pictures after modification:

And on the car:
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #56
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe View Post
Finally got around to doing this mod. Thanks to the OP for the great idea. I left the roundel on as others mentioned, and also preserved a tab when cutting down the plastic. Wasn't too difficult with a dremel. Finally, sprayed the inside of the plastic with VHT niteshades to give it a slight tint.
Looks good with the tint on the darker body color. Did mine several years ago and left them clear to go with my AW body color and clear Euro reflectors.
      01-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #57
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Does anyone have tips on how to separate glue o the the stock hamburger to open it up? Would love some feedback. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #58
jafxdwg
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 3.0si Artic White with Red

Me Too !

Actually this was one of my first mods and I used the slice in half with a hacksaw method. Remaining lens that was attached to the base 'snapped' off easily using a pair of pliers. You can cut perpendicular relief cuts if you are nervous.
Glued everything back together with JB Weld Epoxy.
Its been almost 3 years and so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #59
jafxdwg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
Does anyone have tips on how to separate glue o the the stock hamburger to open it up? Would love some feedback. Thanks
I used masking tape around the circumference of the lens. The edge of the tape provided a good layout for the hack saw to follow and also protected the portion of the lens that I wanted to keep.

I left the rondel attached to the lens and discarded the portion attached to the base. As mentioned you have to make a mark on the lens with a sharpie to make sure you align everything when you glue it back together.

Even with half the lens gone, the stock bulb fit perfectly. I tried to replace the stock amber bulbs with white leds and those did present clearance problems with the leds I bought.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #60
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafxdwg
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
I used masking tape around the circumference of the lens. The edge of the tape provided a good layout for the hack saw to follow and also protected the portion of the lens that I wanted to keep.

I left the rondel attached to the lens and discarded the portion attached to the base. As mentioned you have to make a mark on the lens with a sharpie to make sure you align everything when you glue it back together.

Even with half the lens gone, the stock bulb fit perfectly. I tried to replace the stock amber bulbs with white leds and those did present clearance problems with the leds I bought.
So you cut it open instead of separating the glue on the stock piece?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #61
jafxdwg
Private
Rep

Yup.
Carefully cut with a hack saw, just scoring a groove around the circumference, guided by the edge of the masking tape.
The clear lens plastic is quite brittle and once the two halves were 'parted" the remaining lens that was attached to the base easily snapped off using a common pair of pliers.
As mentioned, if you are nervous, relief cuts through the waste lens at several points can direct the breaks.
A piece of sand paper attached to a flat surface, trues up both lens and base for the epoxy.
Not sure why one would fuss over a 'locating notch". Your 'alignment mark' via a sharpie or small scratch will have the rondel properly aligned.

Easy Peasey and you will love the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #62
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^WHS....

...If you want to go ultra slim.
On the ones I did for my old roadster, I drilled out part of the plastic (behind the Roundel) to provide a little more clearance for the bulb.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0