ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #23
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I just re-discovered a series of posts on the brake duct flaps that I half-remembered. So no additional cooling to be gained there...

As to the fade... pedal travel didn't change noticeably, just the required pressure, so I'm thinking very hot pads, not boiling fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #24
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
I think I experienced a bit of fade at the end of my 4th session, after several pretty fast laps. When it happened, there seemed to be reduced response to initial pedal pressure (which surprised me), but by increasing the pressure (quite a bit), they were effective again. I'm wondering whether opening up the front brake duct openings would help for my next track day.
If the pedal height was staying constant but it was taking more pressure, then yes, you were getting above the upper temp limit on the pads. If it was taking more pedal travel, then you might need to look at the brake fluid you're using.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #25
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
Thanks, guys.

Yes, I just re-discovered a series of posts on the brake duct flaps that I half-remembered. So no additional cooling to be gained there...

As to the fade... pedal travel didn't change noticeably, just the required pressure, so I'm thinking very hot pads, not boiling fluid.
Sounds like. See my post linking Hack's classroom session. No matter what pad or fluid technique helps, and seriously, the lap time side effects (better control and smoothness) are great as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #26
GyroF-16
Private
Rep

Quote:
[\QUOTE] With little to go on I'll venture you'd benefit from working on braking technique vs. ducting. Lots of friends I've driven with have managed fade and learned to manage brakes better through technique. This has yielded fantastic results, and faster lap times too due to the "side effects" on balance and weight transfer going into corners.

If you've mastered technique, then you need ducting or larger rotors (greater thermal reserve). Note: if you're noticing fade, applying more pressure and accommodating through force isn't recommended. Sounds like the brakes were saying "cool us down", best to listen. The next step after that isn't good.

If there's some room for technique upgrades, then this "classroom session" by The Hack is most helpful. Have a look. It's even more helpful with a good coach--can't tell you how many folks I've drove with swore they were doing X but doing Y, or doing X but adding in Z. Oh, and that applies to me too! "But I'm not re-stabbing at the pedal at the end of the braking zone/cycle!" Sure I wasn't!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...46&postcount=7[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the link! I heard the term "regressive braking" for the first time in drivers school classroom last weekend, and spend the next three sessions trying to apply it. Releasing the brake quickly to go immediately to the throttle is a hard habit to break. That will be a significant focus area at the next school in September.

Gyro
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

You're welcome! Great stuff. You can practice that braking technique on the street, but make sure you don't have anybody really following close behind you. Most street driving is done by lightly applying the brakes and ramping up pressure, then off. Completely the opposite of what you want to do on track. But if you're applying track technique, and the person behind you isn't paying attention ? ? well you can figure that out.

Let me add one more. If you don't have this it's the best $9 or $10 you'll ever spend. It's the kind of book I keep rereading, because as I get better, I finally grasp something else. There's so much here you can go back to it time and time again. Book is Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #28
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
You're welcome! Great stuff. You can practice that braking technique on the street, but make sure you don't have anybody really following close behind you. Most street driving is done by lightly applying the brakes and ramping up pressure, then off. Completely the opposite of what you want to do on track. But if you're applying track technique, and the person behind you isn't paying attention ? ? well you can figure that out.

Let me add one more. If you don't have this it's the best $9 or $10 you'll ever spend. It's the kind of book I keep rereading, because as I get better, I finally grasp something else. There's so much here you can go back to it time and time again. Book is Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley.
+1 on Speed Secrets. He also has a great online resource if you prefer another means of ingesting all that information.

https://learn.speedsecrets.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #29
GyroF-16
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabun View Post
+1 on Speed Secrets. He also has a great online resource if you prefer another means of ingesting all that information.

https://learn.speedsecrets.com/
Thanks- Yep, bought it last year. Always worth another re-read in the weeks leading up to another drivers school..
Appreciate 0