ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: Tint Choices
35%, 70% on the windshield 6 11.11%
35%, no windshield tint 30 55.56%
15%, 70% on the windshield 4 7.41%
15%, no windshield tint 14 25.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

09-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
It depends on the tint. A metallic tint will definitely interfere with radar. That's the reason I went with a ceramic; nearly as good heat rejection, but no signal interference.

After having the 35% on for the past year I'm happy with it. Just my opinion, but I think going too dark loses some of the maturity - it looks like a young kids car. My buddy has 35% all around (including windshield) on his E93 M3 and it looks sick.
Thanks for chiming in. Still on the fence about tinting, but if I do, I'll likely go with 35% sides/back since it's now legal to do so in IL. A tint on a white or light colored car is a must, but I'm still not sure about black. Would have to see some pictures first.

Would like to tint the windshield a bit too but am trying to figure out how dark is dark enough to make a difference, without attracting a lot of unwanted police attention or interfering with visibility.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #24
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

dekaliber, i have 35% on the sides and back + no tint on my front. this is on an interlagos blue, and i got it primarily for uv protection and heat rejection. it looks just about right and the tint changes hues under different lighting conditions (overcast, clear skies, dawn/dusk et al).

imo, any tint more than 50% on black sapphire may be difficult to pull off, and reason i didn't go with front windshield tint (other than being illegal in tx) is cos of state inspection stickers. not familiar with the state regulations in illinois, but i'm presuming a tint there would be more for looks than for heat rejection?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #25
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
r4gs is right... 35% really does look different depending on lighting. On bright/sunny days, it's just enough for a bit of privacy, but you can still see in. In low-light settings it looks much darker.

dekaliber, I just replied to your PM.
      09-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #26
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
imo, any tint more than 50% on black sapphire may be difficult to pull off, and reason i didn't go with front windshield tint (other than being illegal in tx) is cos of state inspection stickers. not familiar with the state regulations in illinois, but i'm presuming a tint there would be more for looks than for heat rejection?
Tint is now legal in IL on all windows at 35%. Will probably end up forgoing the windshield tint since it might be a bit much. It can get pretty hot up here in the summers, but you're right, my primary motivation is aesthetic.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

may also be worthwhile to check with ur local dealership if they're able to apply the tint for u. i'd contacted two specialized tint shops in san antonio for quotes on both 3m and llumar, approximately $299 and $350 respectively for 35% all around sans front, non-ceramic (which costs almost double). decided to inquire with the san antonio bmw folks since i was taking the car in for a cupholder swap, and they'd gotten a 3rd party tint guy they regularly hire to come down specially on a saturday to have apply my desired tint.

$199, lifetime warranty against peeling + discoloration and the convenience of having any future potential quirks be addressed directly at the dealership. don't remember the brand of tint used but was guaranteed no interference with radio/radar signals. final application was exceptional with little to no dot matrix bubbling visible and very clean (not too much water) work done.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #28
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Only got one quote so far at a pretty reputable tint shop around here and it was $190 for the sides and back at 35%. They actually did another Z4 M: http://www.umbrawindowtinting.com/Um...a_gallery.html (6th pic)

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll see if my dealership has anyone come in because that would be mega convenient. They're only about 10 minutes away from my house, and 5 minutes from work.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #29
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

no tint on anything.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0