ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-28-2018, 04:10 AM   #89
comics69
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAR4MC View Post
Looks fantastic,

BTW what size tires are you running? fronts look nice and aggressive with the stock rims
Hi this tires ans wheels only for move the car into the wirkshop... tires are 225/40/18 so really small as i drive with slick tires in 260 squared..
Appreciate 1
ZAR4MC93.00
      07-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #90
comics69
Private First Class
France
Rep

Hello everyone,

After a track day this weekend at Le Castellet, the Z is "almost" ready. I say almost because the chassis is really accomplished, on this point nothing to say, the car is screwed to the ground thanks to the aerodynamic supports

It was a year since I had not driven the car, and it's really pure happiness! the brakes too, constant, never pedal loss, short, nice what!

As for the engine .... some thoughts still to study! On the dyno our last test shows 458cv and 410nm. too happy tell me except that in dynamics, it's not all the same thing ....

I could not reach such performance on track for several reasons:

- the first is that the safeties that we have indicated into the ECU (max rpm depending on temperature and oil pressure) on the dyno were not adapted to a road situation. For our defense, we developed the map the day before the track, lack of time.

And of course, I left without my partner or any computer, then I can not mod anything...

As a result, I found that the car does not rise enough in oil temperature and therefore max rpm at 8180 trs (given the ecu values) on the track while the pmax is reached at 8800trs. ....

It does not heat enough. The oil radiator is OEM.

In addition, we found (and this has been confirmed by the engine of the Z3M GTR currently in our workshop) that these "optimized" engines have degassing problem ... indeed much oil vapor emerge from the breather , with relatively high pressure.

I installed a catch can speed the day before driving, but insufficient ... it takes 2, to relax the gas and allow to separate the vapors of the oil correctly.

I was spitting as much water as oil, not really good ... I'll show you the editing done on the Z3GTR, which will also be the one I'm going to adopt.

I think this phenomenon is due to the existing gap between the liner and the piston, from where the oil lifts especially at significant engine speeds! This problem will be solved by adding a secondary catch can with reinsertion of the oil directly into the block.

This degassing therefore forced me to not be able to type in too long, because who says oil that goes into the catch can say less pressure ... and that says less oil pressure said parameters saved in my AEM calculation that come into action (thankfully !!) and therefore ... high engine cutoff and turns.

But at least that shows that a programmable ECU have many advantages in terms of settings, to avoid possible engine damage.

- the second concerns intake velocity stacks. On dyno with the watermeth nozzle that snaps at 5000 rpm they were really cold! except that on track .... not quite the same, given the fact of the phases of deceleration, and that I am not always between 5 and 8,000 rpm. As a result, the base of the aluminum cone heats up by capillarity with the block, and becomes too hot to maintain a correct intake temperature, and thus ultimately impact the power.

Nothing alarming, but on N/A engine everything counts! this problem will be resolved later.

The engine development is not always an exact science, we will never reach more than 460 / 480cv max given the maximum rotation of the piston which is not able to exceed 60 miles per hour (we are currently at 59 ). but I'm still happy to have enjoyed this great day organized by Objectif circuit and Club M, the engine works perfectly, no failure or other, the chassis is at the top!

So the expected 10,000rpm are unreachable (9000 max otherwise risk of deterioration) in my current engine configuration. To do so, we will eventually opt for a downsizing of 3.2 to 3.0 because the 3.0 engine configuration allows to reach the 10,000 revolutions but that will be for much later! I will already enjoy what my config has to offer, and especially fine-tune my driving which deserves a large improvement!

I attach some pictures of the "beast"

Appreciate 4
Azeka1284.50
PLCZ4MC79.00
Mirko182.00
      07-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #91
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by comics69 View Post
Hello everyone,

After a track day this weekend at Le Castellet, the Z is "almost" ready. I say almost because the chassis is really accomplished, on this point nothing to say, the car is screwed to the ground thanks to the aerodynamic supports

It was a year since I had not driven the car, and it's really pure happiness! the brakes too, constant, never pedal loss, short, nice what!

As for the engine .... some thoughts still to study! On the dyno our last test shows 458cv and 410nm. too happy tell me except that in dynamics, it's not all the same thing ....

I could not reach such performance on track for several reasons:

- the first is that the safeties that we have indicated into the ECU (max rpm depending on temperature and oil pressure) on the dyno were not adapted to a road situation. For our defense, we developed the map the day before the track, lack of time.

And of course, I left without my partner or any computer, then I can not mod anything...

As a result, I found that the car does not rise enough in oil temperature and therefore max rpm at 8180 trs (given the ecu values) on the track while the pmax is reached at 8800trs. ....

It does not heat enough. The oil radiator is OEM.

In addition, we found (and this has been confirmed by the engine of the Z3M GTR currently in our workshop) that these "optimized" engines have degassing problem ... indeed much oil vapor emerge from the breather , with relatively high pressure.

I installed a catch can speed the day before driving, but insufficient ... it takes 2, to relax the gas and allow to separate the vapors of the oil correctly.

I was spitting as much water as oil, not really good ... I'll show you the editing done on the Z3GTR, which will also be the one I'm going to adopt.

I think this phenomenon is due to the existing gap between the liner and the piston, from where the oil lifts especially at significant engine speeds! This problem will be solved by adding a secondary catch can with reinsertion of the oil directly into the block.

This degassing therefore forced me to not be able to type in too long, because who says oil that goes into the catch can say less pressure ... and that says less oil pressure said parameters saved in my AEM calculation that come into action (thankfully !!) and therefore ... high engine cutoff and turns.

But at least that shows that a programmable ECU have many advantages in terms of settings, to avoid possible engine damage.

- the second concerns intake velocity stacks. On dyno with the watermeth nozzle that snaps at 5000 rpm they were really cold! except that on track .... not quite the same, given the fact of the phases of deceleration, and that I am not always between 5 and 8,000 rpm. As a result, the base of the aluminum cone heats up by capillarity with the block, and becomes too hot to maintain a correct intake temperature, and thus ultimately impact the power.

Nothing alarming, but on N/A engine everything counts! this problem will be resolved later.

The engine development is not always an exact science, we will never reach more than 460 / 480cv max given the maximum rotation of the piston which is not able to exceed 60 miles per hour (we are currently at 59 ). but I'm still happy to have enjoyed this great day organized by Objectif circuit and Club M, the engine works perfectly, no failure or other, the chassis is at the top!

So the expected 10,000rpm are unreachable (9000 max otherwise risk of deterioration) in my current engine configuration. To do so, we will eventually opt for a downsizing of 3.2 to 3.0 because the 3.0 engine configuration allows to reach the 10,000 revolutions but that will be for much later! I will already enjoy what my config has to offer, and especially fine-tune my driving which deserves a large improvement!

I attach some pictures of the "beast"

So you'er saying if you rev past 8200rpm a dual catch can set up is really needed?

Also the link to the pics doesnt work

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #92
comics69
Private First Class
France
Rep

for my setup i need 2 catch can.

Are you sure you cannot see the pics ? because i tried on another computer, it works..
Appreciate 0