ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
DVCNick
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Houston, we have a problem... (another starting issue)

So yesterday I hop in the car (06 M roadster). Turn the key, everything lights up normally at the accessory position. As soon as I hit the starter, I hear a very faint pop and all power is lost. No click, no lights, absolutely nothing.

Any ideas what this could be? I just changed the battery a couple weeks ago, and took it out for a drive after that; it started just fine several times post-battery install.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
DVCNick
Rep

Another piece of data... reading 2.4 volts on the voltage terminals under the hood.

This was at 1.7V when I replaced the old battery, and over 12V just after battery replacement. I wonder if I have a severe battery drain somewhere; that wouldn't explain why everything powered up fine and then immediately cut off to zero yesterday though would it?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
check this thread out from farther down the page. the pop you heard may be the BST failing.

Stranded/no start. Any brilliant ideas? https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608309
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
DVCNick
Rep

I will definitely check out that thread, thanks...

First, I have another interesting bit of info... reading the battery directly on the terminals, is 12.5V.

The ports up front under the hood, still 3V.

It appears the battery is not dead and something else is going on. There is no indication the car has any power at all: no interior lights, no windows indexing, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The faint pop is the explosives going off in the battery terminal. v3.2mc has pointed you in the right direction. Once that terminal pops the entire vehicle will be without power as it is not connected to the battery.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
DVCNick
Rep

Another update... I just giggled the negative terminal cable and power came back on, or at least interior lights did. I don't have time to mess with it now but will try to start it this afternoon.

I thought the cable wasn't super tight but didn't think it was loose enough to cause any problems. Will update later today.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
DVCNick
Rep

So.. car started up fine after regaining power after moving the negative battery cable. So the connection must just be marginal.

I have a shim for the negative post on order and hopefully that will take care of it.
Appreciate 0