ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-25-2019, 02:45 AM   #1
Kazansky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

16 Of The Greatest Engines Ever Made

Interesting article that will make some of you smile

16 Of The Greatest Engines Ever Made
It's not just power that makes a great engine.

Read in CarBuzz: https://apple.news/A26AzykC4QHSHXjmCrUW0tw
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I have two of the engines mentioned in my fleet right now: (2) BMW N52 and a GM 5.3L small block. I also have a flat-6, but it's from Honda.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I also have a flat-6, but it's from Honda.
Interesting that you mention that.
This article imho 'automatically' only focusses on car engines, but there are tons of other 'great engines', like motorcycle or boat or industrial engines.

I also think that how they mix certain engine arrangements that span lots of models that have, in the end, very little in common except their engine arrangement and brand and rather specific engines isnt the most consequent or composed way to make up a list.
This is imho more an article written to write an article (so pagefill....) than rather inform the public specifically and correctly.
So not very interesting imho.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-25-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Interesting that you mention that.
This article imho 'automatically' only focusses on car engines, but there are tons of other 'great engines', like motorcycle or boat or industrial engines.

I also think that how they mix certain engine arrangements that span lots of models that have, in the end, very little in common except their engine arrangement and brand and rather specific engines isnt the most consequent or composed way to make up a list.
This is imho more an article written to write an article (so pagefill....) than rather inform the public specifically and correctly.
So not very interesting imho.
I agree. It called out a few specific engines. I'm not sure every BMW in-line 6 has been "great". The M20 is my favorite. The "small block" covers a wide range of engines over 6 decades. We had a Johnson 125HP outboard boat engine back in the 1970's that was a 2-stroke V4. Loved the sound of that motor as much as the M20 in my E30.

There are a few piston aircraft engines that come to mind as well...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-25-2019 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I agree. It called out a few specific engines. I'm not sure every BMW in-line 6 has been "great".
M30 timing belt versions.

And the s50/s54 is of course also a mixed bag. Great on performance as they're proper racing engines but not so great on reliability. But those seldomly go together so thats not a very fair judgement.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I'd have added Alfa's twin cam inline 4. That motor is more venerable than the Jag XK, and that's saying something.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Seriously? Not one mention of the Toyota 22r or 22re? By far the most reliable engine I have ever witnessed.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'd have added Alfa's twin cam inline 4. That motor is more venerable than the Jag XK, and that's saying something.
The "Alfa Busso" is more historically significant imho (being the v6), but the i4 twin cam I think you're referring to (the bialbero) is of the hand of the same designer
The Bialbero sure had an incredibly long production run. That says something about how modern it was when it was launched.

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-28-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00
      05-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

While its not a car, does anyone recall the inline six motorcycle engine of the Honda CBX?

"The Honda CBX was a sports motorcycle manufactured by Honda from 1978 to 1982. With a 1047cc inline six-cylinder engine producing 105 bhp (78 kW), it was the flagship of the Honda range. The CBX was well-received by the press, but was outsold by its sibling, the Honda CB900F."

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBX .

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17267.00
      05-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Surprised no mention of Nissan's RB series.
Appreciate 0