ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
GGGGOAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i M Sport

Local Mechanic?

Hey everyone. Recently picked up an 06 3.0i with only 78K miles on it. Clean car. The 2nd day I had it, the starter went up in it. Was able to replace it myself in only 2 hrs w/o completely removing the intake manifold. A couple weeks later the big plastic piece that goes along the front edge of the inside roof cracked. When taking it off, realized why; there was only one screw on the passenger side supporting it! The other two and cracked/broken off. Replaced that as well.

Now I've notice that you can hear the fuel pump buzzing at idle when the car gets close to/below 1/2 tank. Is this normal or should I go ahead and replace that as well?

Also, drove it for the first time at night the other night and noticed only the passenger mirror is "auto-dimming"? I've looked at my rearview mirror and it appers to have the clear bubble on the bottom. When I lock/unlock the car, this bubble does not light up/blink?

And... this one appears to be suffering from the "sticky stearing" column when it gets hot. I've read the fixes for that as well.

Other than that, this car is A LOT of fun to drive! My new favorite car to drive!

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated and if anyone knows of a good local BMW mechanic that would be great as well.

Thanks again and stay safe!

Tim
Severn, MD
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

The fuel pump buzzing could be from the fuel filter being slightly clogged .... However it shouldn't buzz for more than a few seconds upon startup when it builds up pressure/pressurized the fuel system.

If you do replace the fuel pump make sure car is nearly empty as the pump/filter is in the fuel tank.... I found out that the hard way...

Sticky steering... there is the German method of adjusting the lash on the motor servo... you can google this. It's the best way to address this issue. I would not do the drill/inject grease method although people swear by it...

Or.... you can use my hack... I have an '04 and have the issue as well. I simply adjusted my AC to bias to the wheel well, which helps cool the area. You can chuckle but it works... if you live in the south where it gets incredibly hot than the German method is your default.
      08-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
GGGGOAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i M Sport

Thaanks for the reply Clearancediver! MUCH appreciated. Yeah, I live in Severn, MD and it's been pretty hot here. I'm going to try the "clock the stearing box 10 degrees" method first and hopefully that will fix the issue. However, it's not terrible to live with on the extreme hot days if it came to it. Maybe I'll just trade it for a an M Coupe! LOL

I'm also going to go ahead and replace the fuel pump before it leaves me stranded. You can only hear it buzzing when the tank gets below 1/2 or so and it's only at idol.

Now I just need to figure out these mirros and I'll be all set!

Thanks again!

Tim
Severn, MD
Appreciate 0