ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Pocono Raceway - SE Course Option 3 - My Fastest Lap

Hey guys,

Here is some on-board footage from a 2 day HPDE event at Pocono Raceway organized by NASA. I used my iPhone 6 and TrackAddict Pro (RaceRender Free was used to configure the gauges, etc.).

Enjoy the video and let me know what you think!

Couple of questions:
1) Does anyone know what other peoples lap-times are for this configuration of Pocono? (we ran counter-clockwise)

2) Any tips from any one else who has run this configuration?

3) My brakes started to get hot and mushy at certain points. I'm running everything OEM except brake fluid (Motul 600). I plan on upgrading to Stainless Steel Lines and better Brake Pads. Any suggestions on what are some good options? FYI: I daily drive my car (50 miles commute...)

4) TrackAddict was hooked up to my OBD port via WiFi. I was seeing 140/141mph on my dash whereas TrackAddict was showing 135/136mph. Also, at certain times when I was definitely not touching the brakes, TrackAddict shows brakes being applied (is this data coming from the accelerometer instead of brake input? If so, it makes sense to show me on the brakes when all I'm doing is lifting off the throttle a bit). Any idea on how to get cleaner data?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Odometer will be off in the higher speeds.

No good dual duty pad. I say get separate track pads if you plan to do this more frequently. Else run Castrol fluids, slightly more aggressive pad and maybe some titanium shims (but really dedicated track pad is the solution).

Pocono SE itself has 2 configurations if I recall, and not many run ccw so finding comparable lap times might be tough. Plus it's not a popular road course to begin with. Regarding your inputs from lap timer, I would email the developer. Are you sure it wasn't DSC kicking in?
      05-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Odometer will be off in the higher speeds.

No good dual duty pad. I say get separate track pads if you plan to do this more frequently. Else run Castrol fluids, slightly more aggressive pad and maybe some titanium shims (but really dedicated track pad is the solution).

Pocono SE itself has 2 configurations if I recall, and not many run ccw so finding comparable lap times might be tough. Plus it's not a popular road course to begin with. Regarding your inputs from lap timer, I would email the developer. Are you sure it wasn't DSC kicking in?
Hey, thanks for the insights.

DSC kicking in is a fair assumption. As I recall, coming in to Nascar Turn 1 (when I see some brake input, while I was only lifting off the throttle) there was no DSC kick in, but in other places there definitely was. I'll email the developer as per your suggestion.

Do you have experience with the Hawk Pads (HP Plus or Street Race)? If so, what do you think? How difficult is it to change brake pads yourself? This is only the second car I've ever owned (never really done much work myself on any car).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchandok View Post
Hey, thanks for the insights.

DSC kicking in is a fair assumption. As I recall, coming in to Nascar Turn 1 (when I see some brake input, while I was only lifting off the throttle) there was no DSC kick in, but in other places there definitely was. I'll email the developer as per your suggestion.

Do you have experience with the Hawk Pads (HP Plus or Street Race)? If so, what do you think? How difficult is it to change brake pads yourself? This is only the second car I've ever owned (never really done much work myself on any car).
Changing pads is easy, and you'll only get faster each time. You'll probably spend more time messing with the oe lugs by your 2nd or 3rd change. I didn't like Hawk Plus at all. Their race compounds get good reviews (DTC 60-70) but I like PFC 08's. Last for a while, dust isn't nearly as bad as other track pads.