ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #89
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Just love that little 3L I6 called the N54. With little more then a flash tune it goes like a bat out of hell. Never had a car that made so much reliable hp/tq so easily and inexpensively. Little 1 is a pocket rocket.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #90
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

The windows-down feature when I open the car with the key fob. I can do that as I walk up, open the trunk and throw in my briefcase, then reach in the rear door window to remove the sunshade. Useful, as I don't have to open the rear door on a busy street.

Plus, the windows-down feature lets the car release some of the stored heat from being parked all day before I climb in. I know about the comfort ventilation feature, but haven't tried it yet. Does it work well? I'm just worried about it running down the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #91
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

I used the exterior-mirror dip today while backing up along the curb to park. See, curbs here can be any height, from practically nothing to eight inches high, and I don't want to scar up my wheels or rocker panels. Plus, it wastes gas to park, get out and look, get back in and readjust, etc. Which, I suspect, is why BMW put the feature in.

I'm glad, too, that it's under my control, and that it's not both mirrors. The Oldsmobile Aurora I test drove in 1997 or so had the feature, but it was automatic when you went into R, and it was both mirrors. No thanks. I can look out of my window, or open the door if need be, to check the curb on my side. I need some way to eye the other side.

I do wonder why BMW set it up so you push the button to your side to activate a feature on the opposite side of the car. Finally I've got the idea behind the shifter: You want to go faster while driving forward, you push the stick forward (to go down a gear and get more revs); you want to slow, you pull back on the stick, like reins on a horse (to go up a gear and lose some revs). But the mirror button has me floored.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 05-02-2019 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #92
Ozzie55
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

50mpg 190bhp car, an incredible feature
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #93
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Parallel parking seems to be easier with this RWD car. I've been driving FWDs since 2007, one car bigger than the F30 and one about the same size. I think the 328i allows me to turn the front wheels to a greater angle and more easily (which might be due to the electric steering?), and back into a parking space with less fuss, than on any of the FWDs. Anybody else notice this?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #94
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
Granted I am still in a bit of a honeymoon stage (only had it for 2 weeks), but it just makes me happy each time I walk out to it. I look forward to driving it. Makes the usual running around less of a chore.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #95
riczon.335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I rode in that car for years when was a kid, thanks to my grandma!! lol.

Oh yeah.. what i love about my BMW is when I floor it I giggle like a kid and have this big smile on my face, then i forget the speed limit is 60 LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwilson2727 View Post
I love that it's not the Chevy Cavalier I grew up driving! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #96
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
Heated steering wheel...won't buy a car without it....ever. And I don't even live in cold climate any longer. Only time I wear gloves is returning to Chicago to visit family.
I underestimated how much I'd enjoy a heated wheel. I don't think I can do without now.
      05-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #97
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
The infotainment system, including the 1-8 presets has me committed to BMW Corp products.

The way the rear seats fold very flat and even with the trunk floor.

The trunk space. A lot of vehicles can't fit a fully-loaded bag of golf clubs across the rear of the trunk. The F30 can because of the pockets provided behind the rear wheels. Even a lot of SUVs can't pull this off.

The balance of the engineering. After spending a lot of time on track in several BMWs, I'm always impressed how the stock suspension, brakes, and engine seem to reach their capacity relatively evenly.

The effortless highway cruising. My F30 loves the highway. The car goes from 75 to 100 mph so quickly and easily it can get felonious in short order. I could drive all day at 120 mph if I was allowed. So stable at speed.
      05-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #98
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

... gotta love that there is always something wrong with it...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #99
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

After my clear bra was installed at last on Saturday, on Monday I ran the car on its first extended highway trip: 38 miles to the north side of the lake for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. The cruise control not only performed perfectly, it was also very intuitive to use, being set up just like the CC in my German-made Buick Regal: one button to put it on, SET to indicate the speed, roller up or down to change the speed, two pushes of the enabler button to cancel CC. BMW did as well with this as it has with almost every other system or gadget (that I've tried, anyway) on the car.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 05-29-2019 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #100
Silico91
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupé

The fact I can hide the rear coat hooks in the roof by flipping them around, very neat.

The interior lighting that gives the transmission tunnel a faint red glow, without distracting me with bright bulbs.

The hidden storage space under the boot floor, and the little latch to hold the flap up while you are in there.

The passenger wing mirror looks down to the curb when I reverse, and I can switch that off if I need to with a physical button.

The fact the 1 - 8 preset buttons can be shortcuts to any menu items, and the M1/M2 buttons work the same way for the M settings.

Comfort access so I dont need to unlock the car.

I can open the windows with my keys if its hot, and I can close them if I forget.

The wing mirrors fold on their own when I lock it.

The HUD can be adjusted for your height, and even rotated a tiny bit.

I find something new every few months.
      05-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #101
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I like that turning off the engine doesn't shut off the radio or disable power windows. I wish that opening the door doesn't turn off auto headlights but there is a work around.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #102
leyla
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Now I have a bmw X6 and I would like to say that in the exclusive BMW 6 Series Coupé, the headlights sit slightly higher than the kidney grille and are slightly set back. This gives the impression of surging forward and emphasizes the sporting character of the BMW 6 Series Coupé. I love it!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #103
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

That driving in EcoPro with the transmission lever clicked left, to Sport, is almost as much fun as driving in Comfort with the lever at the regular position. Almost all of the EP sluggishness vanishes.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 06-06-2019 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #104
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

The headrest in my G30 with the luxury seating package and Nappa leather. It is like a soft cushion around my head whereas every other headrest I have ever used felt hard and weirdly placed. I actually enjoy driving with my head against it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:01 AM   #105
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Comfort Access and the kick-to-open trunk. The features are not something I would have wanted specifically. "What, I can't be trusted to open/close my car with the fob?" (This, despite the fact that not too many years ago, I opened and closed, and started, my cars with an actual, yanno, key. You get used to new tech conveniences fast.) But the quick close by resting a finger on the door handle is something I use nearly every day now.

Ditto for the kick-to-open trunk. It seems I frequently have both hands full of groceries or, as this morning, a computer plus briefcase and a blanket, and pulling a rolling suitcase. (I had to bug out of my apartment thanks to a water leak; long story.)

Oh, I like the little cargo hooks on the side walls of the trunk. I hang my lunch bucket there every day so the contents don't spill when I hit a bump or take a sharp curve.

That this car is at the same time dangerous (as in it would be easy to collect a speeding ticket), and yet safe. Just now I drove 12 freeway miles from home out to the suburbs. Several times on the (rare) smoothly paved portions of the Interstate, I looked down and was astonished to find myself doing 75. It felt like 60. Only my late, much-missed W126 MB 420SEL could manage that.

Also like the W126, the F30 warns me before I get myself into real trouble. Not with a chime or alert light, but by the chassis response. I came off the I-10 onto a curving ramp, and apparently was going a little fast for the curve. Somehow, I don't know how, the car felt wrong, unbalanced I guess, and I was able to slow safely before making the mistake of jerking the wheel.

I'm curious to see how this car will do in snow. The W126 somehow communicated that its center of gravity was off when snow was piled on the roof, warning me to be even more careful. I suspect the F30 will be similar.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 06-29-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      06-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #106
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I love that everyone else who drives it falls deeply in love.

We have a neighbor who loved a 2018 X5 she rented last year and was thinking of buying one. I told her that the 2019 was vastly different, handed her the key and let her drive mine.

She came back with stars in her eyes. Her family has owned many BMWs and MBs, but she says they always buy them used and didn’t want to pay the cost of a new one. I think I convinced her it might be worth it - or a dealer loaner or other used 2019, more and more are becoming available for sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #107
WabiSabi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 | BMW e39 530i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530  [0.00]
There are so many things to name but one “feature” I started using recently is the folding headrest in the M5.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #108
johnnyg238
Drive it like you stole it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Sapphire Black M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post
Amazing!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I concur with you all on a ton of those things.

- Heated seats that heat all the way up your back
- Heated steering wheel
- Passenger mirror tilts down in reverse
- Someone mentioned the way the door sounds when it closes. I have the soft closing doors. If you haven't tried them, they are a must. Simply latch them and they close snug by themselves.
- Love the convince package so you don't have to use the key fob.

- One that I didn't mention, because it wasn't standard. I HIGHLY recommend buying the BMW projectors for under the doors. They add such a cool touch when you open the doors in the dark. They are crystal clear and look incredible. SUPER cheap and very easy to install as well. I bought 4 (one for each door), but have only installed them on the front doors. It's quite a difference between the rear and fronts when they are both open. Once the weather clears up a bit, I'll install the back two as well. They are really slick.

Thanks again everyone for jumping in......

dbl
Are these available for the M340i?
Appreciate 0