ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Installed today. Had to add some washers to make it work. Y'all think that's ok? I'm running pss10s with Vorshlag camber plates and e46 strut tower reinforcement plates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:11 AM   #2
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Could you really notice any difference with this installed? You didn't mention any perceived performance improvements.

I have been suspicious of their worth on our platform.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Could you really notice any difference with this installed? You didn't mention any perceived performance improvements.

I have been suspicious of their worth on our platform.
The car definitely felt more planted in the front and steering felt a little sharper. I didn't push as hard as I could because I want to make sure running washers like I did is ok.

My theory is if the M division made a strut bar for the chassis there must of been a legit reason right?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
The car definitely felt more planted in the front and steering felt a little sharper. I didn't push as hard as I could because I want to make sure running washers like I did is ok.

My theory is if the M division made a strut bar for the chassis there must of been a legit reason right?
LOL, placebo effect...Especially with the way you have that mounted. Even if this car needed one, yours would do nothing to tame the forces on that strut tower.

BMW did not design the car to use a strut bar. It was available as an accessory due to demand for one. The one BMW made is completely worthless. Flimsy aluminum tubing. I have one and don't run it on my track car. It's just in the way.

If you understand anything about the engineering beauty of triangulation, than you would see that the diagonal strut braces complete a triangle of the fender rail and the firewall. A bent bar running over the motor is not going to effectively prevent the strut towers from flexing outboard under load.

Anyway, nice looking strut bar...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Z4M_Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
LOL, placebo effect...Especially with the way you have that mounted. Even if this car needed one, yours would do nothing to tame the forces on that strut tower.

BMW did not design the car to use a strut bar. It was available as an accessory due to demand for one. The one BMW made is completely worthless. Flimsy aluminum tubing. I have one and don't run it on my track car. It's just in the way.

If you understand anything about the engineering beauty of triangulation, than you would see that the diagonal strut braces complete a triangle of the fender rail and the firewall. A bent bar running over the motor is not going to effectively prevent the strut towers from flexing outboard under load.

Off topic haha but since you're not using your OEM strut bar, would you like to sell it? Cheers =)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Z4M_Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep

You shouldn't need washers to make it work. Either somethings off or it's poor quality from bmtown...which looks to be the same as mechunik and that sat perfectly flush when I had it on my previous Z.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4M_GT3 View Post
You shouldn't need washers to make it work. Either somethings off or it's poor quality from bmtown...which looks to be the same as mechunik and that sat perfectly flush when I had it on my previous Z.
I'm running Bilstein pss10 paired with Vorshlag camber plates. The main strut shaft sticks past the strut mounting area just a little requiring the uses of spacers due to the closed deck design of the strut bar mounting plates.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
Quote:

You mean those hollow flimsy tubes that are prone to fail? 😁
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
Z4M_Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm running Bilstein pss10 paired with Vorshlag camber plates. The main strut shaft sticks past the strut mounting area just a little requiring the uses of spacers due to the closed deck design of the strut bar mounting plates.
I see, maybe shave it a bit so the shaft clears? That way you'll delete the washers. It's prolly not a biggie but I'd do it, or it'll drive me nuts haha.
Appreciate 1