ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

BlackBerry: $20, McCain-Palin's Contacts: Priceless

i sure am glad we didn't elect these idiots...they can't even take 2 minutes to delete sensitive information off their blackberries, which they sold for $20!! it's just a couple clicks on the old blackberry.

Quote:
ARLINGTON, Va. - Private information at bargain prices. It was a high-tech flub at the McCain-Palin campaign headquarters in Arlington when Fox 5’s Investigative Reporter Tisha Thompson bought a Blackberry device containing confidential campaign information.

It started with a snippet we read on page A23 in Thursday’s Washington Post. The McCain-Palin campaign was going to sell its used office inventory at low prices.

But when we got there, it didn’t look like we were going to get much. It was lunchtime and most of the good stuff was gone, picked over by early birds looking for deals on file cabinets, white boards, sofas-- anything headquarters could sell to get back some of their campaign dough.

We saw laptops ranging between $400 and $600 with logins like “WARROOM08.” We couldn’t log on without a password, but staffers assured us the hard drive would be zapped before it was sold, and the computer would probably work.

The hottest item? Blackberry phones at $20 a piece. There were only 10 left. All of the batteries had died. There were no chargers for sale. But people were snatching them up. So, we bought a couple.

And ended up with a lot more than we bargained for.

When we charged them up in the newsroom, we found one of the $20 Blackberry phones contained more than 50 phone numbers for people connected with the McCain-Palin campaign, as well as hundreds of emails from early September until a few days after election night.

We traced the Blackberry back to a staffer who worked for “Citizens for McCain,” a group of democrats who threw their support behind the Republican nominee. The emails contain an insider’s look at how grassroots operations work, full of scheduling questions and rallying cries for support.

But most of the numbers were private cell phones for campaign leaders, politicians, lobbyists and journalists.

We called some of the numbers.

“Somebody made a mistake,” one owner told us. “People’s numbers and addresses were supposed to be erased.”

“They should have wiped that stuff out,” another said. But he added, “Given the way the campaign was run, this is not a surprise.”

We called the McCain-Palin campaign, who says, “it was an unfortunate staff error and procedures are being put in place to ensure all information is secure.”

But we wonder-- Did we get the only Blackberry with personal campaign information in it? Or did you get one too?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

wow "WARROOM08" hahaha how stupid can you get?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

One line sums it up:
“Given the way the campaign was run, this is not a surprise.”
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
KCE90M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 Infiniti I30

I have to voice some disdain with the "idiots" comment in reference to McCain and Palin. Neither is hardly an idiot. McCain specifically. Obama may be a very smart man, but we'll have the next four years to see if he's really as qualified for office as so many American citizens were romanced into believing by the liberal mainstream media. I'm a fairly open minded person, and I am fascinated by the possibilities that the next 4 years has in store, but I have a huge problem with the partisanship of the democrats.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
drF80
Major General
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCE90M3 View Post
I have to voice some disdain with the "idiots" comment in reference to McCain and Palin. Neither is hardly an idiot. McCain specifically. Obama may be a very smart man, but we'll have the next four years to see if he's really as qualified for office as so many American citizens were romanced into believing by the liberal mainstream media. I'm a fairly open minded person, and I am fascinated by the possibilities that the next 4 years has in store, but I have a huge problem with the partisanship of the democrats.
Do you really think 4 years is enough to clean up the mess we're in now due to the last 8 years and beyond?
Hopefully, some progress will be seen and hopefully he will get enough time to turn this around...

PS. I do agree about calling McCain an idiot -- he's not. He's just old and senile.
As for Palin -- she's worse idiot than the current moron in the WH
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...but I have a huge problem with the partisanship of the democrats.
Thats an interesting statement. Partisanship didn't come from Democrats. If i were to put the fault of partisanship on any one person's head it would have to be Carl Rove. He was the architect for the nasty partisanship in American politics. And for the most part, Democrats are not as partisan as Republicans IMO. We just don't like Bush and are not apologetic in our disfavor of his performance.

As far as intelligence is concerned; McCain is intelligent, but he's really showing his age. Palin, i'm not so sure. I've tried to defend her intelligence at times, but she has made me feel foolish for doing so.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Do you really think 4 years is enough to clean up the mess we're in now due to the last 8 years and beyond?
I agree. Its going to take 12 years of more.
Its like going out and maxing your credit cards. It doesn't take long to buy a lot the shit, but it takes a long time paying it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
American citizens were romanced into believing by the liberal mainstream media
another failed attempt to credit the evil "liberal mainstream media" with the results of this election, unfortunately, sir, you do not realize that we have our own brains and we use them wisely.
      12-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
FolsomMike
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: crimson red 335 cabrio

Is McCain's slide rule still for sale?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Blake
Banned
No_Country