ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #67
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
I should have said "I hope these don't sell well in the second hand market", although I dont necessarily agree with your basic econ 101 logic. Like you said, supply and demand; if it is selling in massive volume, then that is presumably because the demand is equally as massive, which doesn't always lend itself to mind blowing depteciation. It would definetely make it easier to find one a used example that fits my desired specs though! Either way, I am not a studied economist so my logic is worth very little anyway lol. What I can say for sure is that I'm a fan of this Lexus coupe!
Not necessarily, because the people that buy these new will trade up when the next best thing is available. If there is such a small pool to choice from then the price will go up. My example would be the 1st gen NSX. Back in the 2008-2010 there were a lot more available. You could pick up a low to decent mile clean title example in the $30k range. Now today there is definitely less examples to choice from and the same ones now easily go for high $40s to low $50s. Now a more recent example for more = less. The FR-S/86; they sold quite well when 1st release. But now there are tons on the pre-owned market. You can easily pick up a low mileage example for $10-$11k. I also didn't major in economics/sales and etc. But I did take a few side classes.

Last edited by supra93; 07-01-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #68
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

I hear ya man; I don't doubt the possibility of what you're suggesting, I just think a large production/sales number could push things in EITHER direction depending on a variety of other factors in play. While I do not doubt the legitamacy of your examples, there are definitely examples of models out there that didn't sell well initally and the lack of demand when new also carried over into second hand sales, resulting in heavy depreciation as a result. Its a multifacet equation for sure.

Not trying to argue in the slightest btw, I appreciate the discussion. Cheers!

(Sorry for getting off topic in regards to the thread subject, hehe)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #69
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
I hear ya man; I don't doubt the possibility of what you're suggesting, I just think a large production/sales number could push things in EITHER direction depending on a variety of other factors in play. While I do not doubt the legitamacy of your examples, there are definitely examples of models out there that didn't sell well initally and the lack of demand when new also carried over into second hand sales, resulting in heavy depreciation as a result. Its a multifacet equation for sure.

Not trying to argue in the slightest btw, I appreciate the discussion. Cheers!

(Sorry for getting off topic in regards to the thread subject, hehe)
You're right, it could really go either way. we'll just have to wait and see. Oh no, I'm trying to argue either lol. Just a friendly conversation.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #70
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Rated View Post
just picked up a white one for my wife and have to say I'm very impressed. Traded in a SL63 for it
Now THAT'S saying something! Probably one of the most significant posts in this thread.

Tell me more about it thus far?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #71
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Last month's sales just released. Looks like they will meet or exceed their projected 4,000 unit per year goal.

May: 419
June: 423
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #72
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Still only seen a handful but I believe the allocation isn't that high. Very good looking car no question though. Unlike anything on the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #73
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Still only seen a handful but I believe the allocation isn't that high. Very good looking car no question though. Unlike anything on the road.
Good looking, sure.

But its body is writing cheques its engine can't cash.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #74
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onsafari View Post
So based on the preliminary info on the LC F it could be a 150k easy......I'll still pass. Many other cars out there for less with far better performance.

Lexus should have learned from the failed sales of the GS F which turned out to be a bust from what I've gathered since it was priced so high.

Lexus should have made the LC 500 a 60-65k car and then took the LC F up to around 100k.

Only time will tell how it turns out for Lexus with this.
Wait...and you are okay with M3 starting from $65K? And you were okay with your M240i starting at $47k????
LC500 feels far far more luxurious than M6, let alone M3 and I really think BMW is charging so much for their products. Once you sit on one, your bimmer would feel like you are sitting in a 1990's volvo.
Not everyone needs to go fast. For me, I buy cars based on its look and bit of performance that I can enjoy. And beyond 400hp is something I can be careless as I only drive point A to B.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #75
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Wait...and you are okay with M3 starting from $65K? And you were okay with your M240i starting at $47k????
LC500 feels far far more luxurious than M6, let alone M3 and I really think BMW is charging so much for their products. Once you sit on one, your bimmer would feel like you are sitting in a 1990's volvo.
Not everyone needs to go fast. For me, I buy cars based on its look and bit of performance that I can enjoy. And beyond 400hp is something I can be careless as I only drive point A to B.
EXACTLY!!This is a GRAND TOURER! Which by its very definition is all about a "Premium Product inside and out". Performance is right where it needs to be. Why must every car be a "track carving, drag strip machine"? LOL!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #76
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

saw a matte black one the other day, was behind him and he nailed it so i followed. ended up passing him from behind. sub-par performance for lexus once again, but beautiful car indeed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #77
onsafari
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Yes I am as I feel that when people start to spend a 100k on a car they want performance as well as luxury which the Lexus brand so far has not combined. We traded in our 2015 IS 350 F Sport for our new M240 and have zero regrets. Far more power and while it may not seem as luxurious as the IS was it's really not that much different once you own them both, although we do miss the ventilated seats.

I think the LC is am amazing looking car but for the price we will not own one based on our previous Lexus ownership and it's lack of performance.

I've spent time behind the wheel of LC a few times, have you?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #78
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onsafari View Post
Yes I am as I feel that when people start to spend a 100k on a car they want performance as well as luxury which the Lexus brand so far has not combined. We traded in our 2015 IS 350 F Sport for our new M240 and have zero regrets. Far more power and while it may not seem as luxurious as the IS was it's really not that much different once you own them both, although we do miss the ventilated seats.

I think the LC is am amazing looking car but for the price we will not own one based on our previous Lexus ownership and it's lack of performance.

I've spent time behind the wheel of LC a few times, have you?
No I do not own LC, so I haven't spent any time behind wheel of LC unless you meant test driving it. But from test driving it, I thought LC was nicer to drive than my 650Xi GC which is more expensive BTW, and fit and finish/luxury/presence was far superior in LC. I mean 650GC is a nice car, but there isn't sense of exclusivity nor it feels fast enough to brag about performance, and finish is just sub par. Hence the reason why its resale value is terrible.

I believe Lexus isn't marketing this car toward 911 crowd or "performance" people and importantly, $100k tag doesn't mean you need a performance car. There are cars about there at this price range marketed as "luxury coupe/GT" such as S Class coupe ($122K+) and 6 coupe/GC, ($93k+) and Lexus trying to share the market with them. And I think they did a good job at it. It goes faster than above two, cheaper than them, looks special and reliability is given. Market is so diversified these days, so you shouldn't judge solely based on performance, level of luxury to justify their price.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13923.00
      09-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #79
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
... Absolutely Stunning! The pic really doesn't do it justice. It's low and wide and the floating roof line is very sexy IMO.

I'd say it definitely has the presence of a $100k car.
I can only imagine the 'F' version forthcoming...
Nice car, but I am NOT a fan of the Lexus grills they now put on all their cars.
Appreciate 0