ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Smile Thunderhill April 1 2011 "Z4M Day"

Skelekitty, me, jdl1pt, jdl1pt's buddy (classic Porsche--what a beauty), and Crfine88's dad all had a great day yesterday! The weather was perfect (mid 70s, low 80s) and sunny--you could not have asked for a better day!

This is me on a particularly good line out of 5 into 5a (and my instructor saying "nice driving"). It's so much fun when you get it right .)

I'm so glad I got an instructor through NCRC. (Jerry Douglas, one of the racers--spec Miata guy. 40 years experience a professional motorcycle racer and 10 years auto racing.) Great guy and a good coach who was attuned to feeding me only as much as I could process/apply at a time. He cleaned up my braking, my turn-in, and then we worked on rolling on to full power on exit.

All that "slow in fast out" and "smooth" stuff started making sense and I made so much progress during the day. Man, when you get the entry and exit right you carry so much more speed--line up quite a few corners that way (or, manage to hit them all on a lap or two) and it's simply amazing. It's so much fun being roll on to full power when the apex and exit are lined up correctly (which of course means the next corner comes faster and you then have to adjust)! Driving at the track is also a humbling experience as even though you learn/get better you begin to realize just how much you do not know. Hey, if we knew it all we wouldn't be at a HPDE!

'Kitty improved dramatically as well and her coach (Peter--last name escapes me, guy with 15 years in open and a Z3M coupe) with lots of instruction experience was perfect for her. (We actually met Peter the weekend before at EuroSunday--he joked that he'd probably be instructing one of us. He was right!)

I've gotta agree with The Hack on the value of instruction.

I pointed by a GTR and a highly modded Evo (full suspension, extra boost, etc.) a couple times during the day. My instructor's comment was "hang back and stay well back from that guy...he has no line to speak of, the car is letting him get away with that--but only for so long."

Talked with Jerry and Peter a bit later and they lamented the fact that some cars today just let drivers get away with sloppy habits that eventually bite them (and bite at much higher speeds) and how our cars require the driver to drive. Which is fine by me. I'd rather work actually learn to drive the car. I'm sure with a good driver those two cars can totally kick ass, but it looks like in this case the car was a shortcut to greater speed.

A great day was had by all and it was nice to see the Z4s being so well represented on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I learned a few things yesterday, as in, stuff I already knew, but now it's imprinted on my DNA:
  • CG LOCKS are teh awesome!
  • let the suspension work its magic
  • the car CAN handle it
  • brake firmly, let off smoothly, accelerate evenly
  • douchebags in Evos are fucktards
  • enjoy the feeling when you nail an apex and exit, but stay focused for the next turn ("great Kid, don't get cocky.")
  • the faster you go, the earlier you need to brake
  • we need a racing sugar daddy

Mostly, I learned that the instruction is worth the instructor's weight (fully geared up) in gold. When I started out in the morning, I was nervous and was a full second behind on reaction time to Peter's cues. I just plain didn't get it. After a few laps as a passenger with him where I could FEEL the line, I was able to get into my car and try it myself. What a DIFFERENCE!

I want to go back NOW!

p.s. Those Dudes and Bros in the Evos? I'm ready to pack them in a box and put them on a slow boat to China. True story.

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

douchebags in Evos are fucktards

p.s. Those Dudes and Bros in the Evos? I'm ready to pack them in a box and put them on a slow boat to China. True story.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. Glad they weren't in my run group.

In the process of posting pics to snapfish and will put up some pics soon.

It was a great day, couldn't have asked for better weather and company. If only every day could be a track day like this. Here is a vid from my friend Ron's old 912. I'm starting to realize that not only is he a very cool guy and great friend, but he is a pretty good driver as well. Skelekitty, your M butt was in the unedited version, not sure about this one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipgpXRAknfA

BTW for anyone thinking about a CG lock, they are for sale at Amazon for $37.00ish. (regularly 49.00ish) http://www.amazon.com/CG-Lock-CG001-...1789411&sr=8-2 I was going to try and organize group buy, but at this price why bother.

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|

Last edited by jdl1pt; 04-02-2011 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
Here is a vid from my friend Ron's old 912. I'm starting to realize that not only is he a very cool guy and great friend, but he is a pretty good driver as well. Skelekitty, your M butt was in the unedited version, not sure about this one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipgpXRAknfA
Yeah, I see my M butt being PASSED by Ron! OMG, that guy *IS* a good driver. It's funny because he takes slightly different lines than Peter & I do, but he also drives a VERY different car. Seriously though, I am impressed.

And Finnegan and I had a lot of fun yesterday and loved hanging out with you guys!

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Jdl1pt--I had a lot of fun hanging out with you guys! Great video there (and some nice driving) by your friend Ron.

Some guys out there in Evos and etc. that really did know how to drive--so it's not an across the board thing. I saw a few guys with skills that were quite enviable this time and the last time as well.

The ones who can't and don't work on their skills will only progress so far until their lack of skills catch up with them (true no matter what is driven)--and until 'Kitty catches up and passes them as well (since she's working on modding herself and not the car)....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are a few shots of some dirty Z's post race and my buddy's 912.

Z Butts

Is that an alien in the lower left corner?

Husband and Wife pair...we know who made the right decision first.

Bonnets:

Got Bugs?...One guess as to what I spent my afternoon doing...

And to prove it was an absolutely beautiful day

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Looks like you had an amazing day out there, I can't wait to get out on the track this year. Hopefully it wil stop raining.
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Man do I miss being close to T-hill! What a great Z turn out. I still consider T-hill my home track even though I'm stuck here in AZ.

You do have to watch out for the F-Tards and D-Bags, you never know when they will show-up. They should really have their own classification and run group; Imagine how that would sound announced over the PA system, " Group D-bags and F-Tards to the paddock"

Finn & Skelekitty,
you guys inspire me.
I'm looking forward to spending time on the track with my wife in our very own matching Z4M's too . She is leaning toward the roadster, but I still have at least a year before desicion time. Seeing this post has taken her one step closer Moupe ownership though .

jdl1pt,
Nice addition with those pic links, those guy really were all over the place and have earned the highest level of F-tard rank.

I think your Buddy's P-car just motivated my buddy to get out on to the track. He is a vintage porsche guy and flipped out when he saw the pics. I'm going to try and get a group from AZ out to T. Hill in September.

Cheers guys, Looks like it was a great time
CF
      04-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Some guys out there in Evos and etc. that really did know how to drive--so it's not an across the board thing. I saw a few guys with skills that were quite enviable this time and the last time as well.

The ones who can't and don't work on their skills will only progress so far until their lack of skills catch up with them (true no matter what is driven)--and until 'Kitty catches up and passes them as well (since she's working on modding herself and not the car)....
Let me clarify my aforementioned theory re: D-bags in Evos = F-tards... I knew the guys were total douchers because they wore uniforms displaying their rank and status (they were riding 3-deep):
  • driver (and leader since he had more Douche Decorations that the other two) in hip, button-front, too-tight shirt with jeans and big-ass sunglasses
  • one friend slouching around in baggy pants & wife-beater shirt with sideways cap
  • and the last one, must have been a PFC, only had on *one* polo shirt with a popped collar....

Therefore, I maintain that
D-bags
+ Evo
F-tard

On an unrelated, but even more painful, observation....

THAT's gonna leave a mark!
by Skelekitty (Krissi Sandvik), on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Man do I miss being close to T-hill! What a great Z turn out. I still consider T-hill my home track even though I'm stuck here in AZ.
jdl1pt,
Nice addition with those pic links, those guy really were all over the place and have earned the highest level of F-tard rank.

I think your Buddy's P-car just motivated my buddy to get out on to the track. He is a vintage porsche guy and flipped out when he saw the pics. I'm going to try and get a group from AZ out to T. Hill in September.

Cheers guys, Looks like it was a great time
CF
Hey CF,

I met your dad on Friday (really cool guy) and we had a great conversation. He was telling me all about how you got into your current M... All I can say is way to go!

He was also telling my how you helped get him into his M vert, and that you guys have run Thill together. That would be such a cool experience to do something like that with your father, I'm jealous to say the least.

If you do head to T-hill this September be sure to let me know. I want to make a few more runs there this year and it would be great to have another Z day at the track. I'm sure finnegan and skelekitty would be sure to go. Possibly we could get a few more Nor Cal members to go too.

And if you buddy needs more P-car motivation let me know. I'll send you the link to my friends blog. He has done SO MUCH to his car. Let's just say it's a 68 in body only.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey CF,

I met your dad on Friday (really cool guy) and we had a great conversation. He was telling me all about how you got into your current M... All I can say is way to go!

He was also telling my how you helped get him into his M vert, and that you guys have run Thill together. That would be such a cool experience to do something like that with your father, I'm jealous to say the least.
Yep! We spent a lot of time talking to your (CF's) Dad too - what a character and all around cool dude! He walked right up to me at the beginning of the day and said, you're Skelekitty and you're an artist! LOL!

Quote:
If you do head to T-hill this September be sure to let me know. I want to make a few more runs there this year and it would be great to have another Z day at the track. I'm sure finnegan and skelekitty would be sure to go. Possibly we could get a few more Nor Cal members to go too.
YES!!!!!!

Quote:
And if you buddy needs more P-car motivation let me know. I'll send you the link to my friends blog. He has done SO MUCH to his car. Let's just say it's a 68 in body only.
J - definitely post a link to Ron's blog; I've already subscribed to him on YouTube & would love to follow what he's doing to Franken his car.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Good stuff guys and gal!

I couldn't find any Z4M buddies to go up with on Friday, so I just stayed home

But I'm sure we'll all get together soon for track day(s)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
claritycheck
Rolling Republic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Jealous! I spent my day slaving over diamonds and paperwork.

You guys really have a lot of passion for all this. I hope I can you join you guys in the near future. AutoX April 17th in Mather!
      04-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Does the CG Lock secure the diangle strap as well? Or do they just secure the lap portion?

I wanted to get some 4 point racing harnesses, but after figuring out that there was nowhere to secure them w/out a roll bar, I've been looking at other alternatives
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Does the CG Lock secure the diangle strap as well? Or do they just secure the lap portion?

I wanted to get some 4 point racing harnesses, but after figuring out that there was nowhere to secure them w/out a roll bar, I've been looking at other alternatives
Just the lap portion. There is some discussion about the CG lock, alternatives, etc. going on over here at the moment...

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
m3pete
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Hi Krissi,
Glad you had a great time yesterday. I had a blast too. It was fun riding with you. You improved tremendously throughout the day. You were the perfect student; someone willing to learn and is a quick learner. Your last session was near perfect except for the Evo spooking you and messing up turn 11 because you nailed turn 10 with much more speed and forgot to brake harder! It was a very rewarding experience as an instructor to see the improvement throughout the day and to see the big smiles after every session. Keep up the good driving and hope to see you and Ron on the track soon again.

2011 F25 X3 35i, AW
2008 E90M3 AW, bone stock (Sold)
2002 M Coupe TS, GC S/A coil overs, PF05 pads, Toyo RA1
1998 M3/4 AW sold
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelekitty View Post
Thank you...must of looked right past that thread
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #18
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3pete View Post
Hi Krissi,
Glad you had a great time yesterday. I had a blast too. It was fun riding with you. You improved tremendously throughout the day. You were the perfect student; someone willing to learn and is a quick learner. Your last session was near perfect except for the Evo spooking you and messing up turn 11 because you nailed turn 10 with much more speed and forgot to brake harder! It was a very rewarding experience as an instructor to see the improvement throughout the day and to see the big smiles after every session. Keep up the good driving and hope to see you and Ron on the track soon again.
Yay! Happy Dance!

Thanks again, Pete! I feel like I learned so much yesterday that I can barely believe it.

We'll definitely be out again. We decided we are going to sit down and look at the budget and figure out what/when/where we want to do some track days - with the heat being what it is in the central valley in the summer, we may do a Laguna Seca day if NCRC is out there.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Ok you two track rats....

Use a clay bar to get all the bugs and the rubber marks off of the car.. Rubber is the hardest but a clay bar pulls that crap right off... Use the old clay on the windshield. It will pull the embedded dirt out of the glass.

3M Invisashield....... Once you have that on the car then tape is unnecessary... I really cannot tell you just how good this stuff is. I even had it applied to the entire lower sides. After a year of ownership, 18K miles and nine track weekends, not one mark.....

Finnegan, how MANY rolls of tape did you use... or is that the new style of condoms...

Laminx on the headlights. You can apply the LaminX yourselves. Really easy.

Very glad all you guys and gals had a good time. My next track weekend is not until May.

I would have been at the VIR this weekend but had to be the 'Maid of Honor' at a wedding. Yea, you read right. I was her MOH... Long and funny story...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #20
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelekitty View Post
we may do a Laguna Seca day if NCRC is out there.
Any possibility that you guys try for April 11th Laguna with NCRC, or April 19th? I hope they've still got open slots =/
John (jdl1pt) is most likely coming down with me to Monterey on the 11th.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #21
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Any possibility that you guys try for April 11th Laguna with NCRC, or April 19th? I hope they've still got open slots =/
John (jdl1pt) is most likely coming down with me to Monterey on the 11th.
I'm guessing no since Finnegan's little runabout got new rotors (eesh) and we had the brake pads, camber washers and tranny mounts *giggle* replaced/installed and the software upgrade done between the purchase and last track day. I think we may need a month to recover and adjust the budget to account for the addiction costs. Especially since I want to do a 2-day now!

We will get down there soon though!

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #22
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

oh wowww lol icic.
Hrmm...I might be going to Asia for overseas internship in about a month or less though. Hopefully I won't be gone for long and miss out on too much =P
Appreciate 0