ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Autocross school: SCCA vs BMW CCA

Has anyone taken the 1-day autocross driving class offered by these 2 organizations? Starting Line (SCCA) is $325 including membership and Autocross School (BMW CCA) is $143 including membership. The Starting Line course includes 2 event entries which makes up the difference in price. Both courses are held 1 week apart at the same autocross site (Devens airfield in MA). What are the pros and cons of each course?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

The SCCA school is offered in conjunction with Evolution Driving Schools. The instructors have at a minimum competed at SCCA nationals, and typically are former class winners there. The BMWCCA instructors will typically be very experienced and may even have competed at SCCA nationals too, but it's less likely. The SCCA school has a professionally developed format, while the BMWCCA may be more dependent on the local chapter and their historical experience with autocross. Not intending to diss anyone, but I compete with both groups here locally, and my choice would be SCCA based mainly on the proven program and level of instruction.
      03-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I'm with ^

Even though I've been heavily involved with BMW CCA I various capacities with the local chapter's driving programs, the above poster's assessment is dead-on.

In a twisted way, with driving activities, once you factor out the cost of the facilities, you get what you pay for.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm with ^

Even though I've been heavily involved with BMW CCA I various capacities with the local chapter's driving programs, the above poster's assessment is dead-on.

In a twisted way, with driving activities, once you factor out the cost of the facilities, you get what you pay for.
I'm a board member in our local chapter and it feels like heresy recommending SCCA over BMWCCA, but SCCA runs a national solo program while BMWCCA encourages it but doesn't really support or manage it. With the EVO school actually running the SCCA Starting Line program you get a consistency that you can't necessarily count on from chapter to chapter with BMWCCA.

http://www.evoschool.com/#
      03-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

BMWCCA Autocross School seems to be very varied regarding how it's set up. My chapter's fee is $40 and it is basically a full autocross day without timing gear, with each student sitting with a dedicated instructor for the whole day. While some of the instructors are incredibly skilled (former formula ___ drivers), some of them are not as much (but still good drivers). I feel like BMWCCA is a good way to get started into autocross, then try out the SCCA school afterwards for more advanced training.

Last edited by intoflatlines; 03-27-2015 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0