ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
BlueBimmers
Founding Member of BBA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86M

Garage List
GoPro Mount for In Car Video and Rear Video for Z4M

I'm trying to figure out where to put the GoPro to capture in car video. I'd like to try not to butcher the interior too much. I've heard that there is a way to get the suction mount to stick to the front of the divider but I can't find it. Or I could bite the bullet and put screws in the divider just above the door. I'd rather not put the GoPro on top of the divider because it's already hard enough to see out the back.

I'm also trying to figure out where to put the rear GoPro. The previous owner had a poser tow hook on the rear which the loop came off of. I've just been too lazy to get wrenches out to pull it off. I'd thought about mounting the rear GoPro there but was unsure about mounting the GoPro right above the exhaust. I would think that the camera might get pretty hot when I was idling on the grid before going out. Inside the rear window isn't really an option because the rear window is tinted.

Where do you mount your GoPro's?
2013 E89

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Those little curved "bases" that came with the GoPro fits nicely on the divider.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
schobyb
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster; 2012 Cayenne

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
I put a flat mount on the flat surface just behind and above where a passenger's shoulder would be, it's discreet and I was able to see my hands and feet as well as out the windshield for track day use. If you carry passenger with helmet, I'd second The Hack's feedback. Next track day, I'll likely mount on the windshield and maybe front bumper. I've included a picture of the mount and a picture taken from the mount.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Here's what not to do LOL. I tried the suction cup mount on the rear glass of the roadster soft top. Too far back and the top buffets way too much.

04-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #5
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

On the roof, on the side window, inside windshield various positions, inside rear window. Pretty much anywhere the suction cup will stick. Choices more limited if you want to see drivers hands and feet...
Appreciate 0