ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #4841
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I'm pretty sure I know what most people would do. Fire up their cell phone and hope for a viral video. Sadly.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
vreihen1615336.00
      11-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #4842
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I'm pretty sure I know what most people would do. Fire up their cell phone and hope for a viral video. Sadly.
And be fired over it? Doubt that's what anyone would do…
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #4843
________
________
Rep

The answer for me is to try to assess the level of danger to himself and others, and isolate others/him as much as possible. E.g. take the key and other people and isolate him in the car.
De-escalate by asking others how to better interact with him.
Ask for reinforcements, so I could be one on one with others.
Run checks and set them on their way, or request an ambulance if severe/not possible to de-escalate.
If needed, immobilize the subject until said reinforcements/ambulance arrive.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      11-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #4844
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Our 5150 WIC laws require us to establish that a person is either a danger to themselves, a danger to others and/or gravely disabled. We establish that criteria based on statements made by the suspect/subject, witnesses on scene, the victim(s), etc. We can establish the gravely disabled requirement with a few key questions.
Yup, we call them EDP, Emotionally Disturbed Person. Challenged would be someone who has a disability. But danger to themselves or others is the thing that you need to determine. We use the same thresholds for dealing with the HBD types as well.
In NY, pretty much everyone is described as an EDP over the SOD net, even if it's just a person who is upset / angry / sad / making a scene
      11-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #4845
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
In NY, pretty much everyone is described as an EDP over the SOD net, even if it's just a person who is upset / angry / sad / making a scene
That's one of the reasons we dropped the term MI Mentally Ill, EDP catches them all.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #4846
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Talking about most civilians these days. They'd stop and film a guy pouring gasoline on himself.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314116.00
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      11-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #4847
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Talking about most civilians these days. They'd [s]stop and[/s] provide a gas can just so they can film a guy pouring gasoline on himself.
FTFY.
      11-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #4848
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Talking about most civilians these days. They'd stop and film a guy pouring gasoline on himself.
So true. Today's civilian will standby and watch a woman be raped on an NY subway…..and do absolutely nothing. Fucking cowards!
Appreciate 1
jamesinaz1646.50
      11-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #4849
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So true. Today's civilian will standby and watch a woman be raped on an NY subway…..and do absolutely nothing. Fucking cowards!
If you're talking about the Philadelphia story where the crowd allegedly filmed the rape on a SEPTA train last month, that part of the story turned out to be a fabrication by a police union spokesperson IIRC.

The big NYC subway problem these days are EDP's shoving people off of the platforms and onto the tracks in front of approaching trains. Besides the danger of the approaching train, there is the danger of a hot third rail to both the shoved party plus anyone who tries to rescue them.....
      11-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #4850
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If you're talking about the Philadelphia story where the crowd allegedly filmed the rape on a SEPTA train last month, that part of the story turned out to be a fabrication by a police union spokesperson IIRC.

The big NYC subway problem these days are EDP's shoving people off of the platforms and onto the tracks in front of approaching trains. Besides the danger of the approaching train, there is the danger of a hot third rail to both the shoved party plus anyone who tries to rescue them.....
The "citizen journalists" are a problem to be sure. Too many folks would rather take a picture or a video rather than lend a hand or call for help.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
vreihen1615336.00
      11-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #4851
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:

What's an EDP?
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #4852
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:

What's an EDP?
Emotionally disturbed person
Appreciate 1
Murf99314116.00
      11-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #4853
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
The "citizen journalists" are a problem to be sure. Too many folks would rather take a picture or a video rather than lend a hand or call for help.
Didn't I just see a case in the news today about a guy who intervened in a mass shooting event and was shot/killed by responding officers?????
      11-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #4854
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Scenario (mods, feel free to prune if this is too contentious for this thread):

Lot of accusations flying with the Rittenhouse trial that police had "steered" protestors towards counter-protestors and taken a hands off approach.

Other issues with wild-speculation theories aside, it raised a few questions on crowd control / dispersion / diffusion.

1. IF police had attempted to stop anything...hell, it's an anti-police protest. I can't see that going well and would only escalate things.

2. So-called "Counter protestors" (to my knowledge at least) were not counter-protesting or marching so much as standing around (armed as a deterrent to property damage / looting / violence)

3. Crowd control is not in my area of expertise or knowledge of law enforcement activities, so in the opinion of the LEOs here - is it possible law enforcement on the ground there DID "steer" the crowds in an attempt to split them up / disperse them, but inadvertently this led to encounters with the counter-protestors (for lack of a better term for them)? Or, is it possible they steered P's towards CP's intentionally in hopes of conflict? This last is the accusation being thrown out and the basis of at least one lawsuit.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
Murf99314116.00
      11-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #4855
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Scenario (mods, feel free to prune if this is too contentious for this thread):

Lot of accusations flying with the Rittenhouse trial that police had "steered" protestors towards counter-protestors and taken a hands off approach.

Other issues with wild-speculation theories aside, it raised a few questions on crowd control / dispersion / diffusion.

1. IF police had attempted to stop anything...hell, it's an anti-police protest. I can't see that going well and would only escalate things.

2. So-called "Counter protestors" (to my knowledge at least) were not counter-protesting or marching so much as standing around (armed as a deterrent to property damage / looting / violence)

3. Crowd control is not in my area of expertise or knowledge of law enforcement activities, so in the opinion of the LEOs here - is it possible law enforcement on the ground there DID "steer" the crowds in an attempt to split them up / disperse them, but inadvertently this led to encounters with the counter-protestors (for lack of a better term for them)? Or, is it possible they steered P's towards CP's intentionally in hopes of conflict? This last is the accusation being thrown out and the basis of at least one lawsuit.
Conflict is never what an LEO hopes for. Conflict means the potential for death or serious bodily injury not only for the disturbing parties, but also for you and/or your partners. Mitigation is the preferred approach.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #4856
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Conflict is never what an LEO hopes for. Conflict means the potential for death or serious bodily injury not only for the disturbing parties, but also for you and/or your partners. Mitigation is the preferred approach.
Sure, and why I feel like it's the least likely possibility here. But also why I'm asking if it was possibly the inadvertent outcome of an attempt to split up and disperse the crowds.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      11-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #4857
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, and why I feel like it's the least likely possibility here. But also why I'm asking if it was possibly the inadvertent outcome of an attempt to split up and disperse the crowds.
It's possible that it was an unintended outcome due to the dispersal. Mobs shift quickly and there are only so many officers with boots on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #4858
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Speaking of boots on the ground, I apologize if this has already been discussed, but any thoughts on that Travis Scott concert in Houston? I think I heard there were at least 500 police officers at the venue and something about folks knowing there could be violence at his concert. Apparently he has a bit of a history with encouraging shit among his fans. I haven't read up on every detail of this tragic incident but man, what a mess.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      11-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #4859
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Speaking of boots on the ground, I apologize if this has already been discussed, but any thoughts on that Travis Scott concert in Houston? I think I heard there were at least 500 police officers at the venue and something about folks knowing there could be violence at his concert. Apparently he has a bit of a history with encouraging shit among his fans. I haven't read up on every detail of this tragic incident but man, what a mess.
It was a mess, plus people were being stabbed with syringes. What occurred is one of the primary dangers of concerts where everybody is standing.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314116.00
vreihen1615336.00
      11-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #4860
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
It was a mess, plus people were being stabbed with syringes. What occurred is one of the primary dangers of concerts where everybody is standing.
Say what? Stabbed with syringes?? I didn't hear about that but having a hard time understanding WHY. What was inside the syringes?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      11-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #4861
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
Say what? Stabbed with syringes?? I didn't hear about that but having a hard time understanding WHY. What was inside the syringes?
In my club hopping days people did it using HIV/AIDS infected needles. Your guess is as good as mine what the goal was for the perpetrators this time.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314116.00
      11-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #4862
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
In my club hopping days people did it using HIV/AIDS infected needles. Your guess is as good as mine what the goal was for the perpetrators this time.
Ugh, that's just sick. I wouldn't go anywhere near a club if I knew that crap was going on.
Appreciate 0