ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Hey guys so not a lot of reviews on these coils around for our cars so thought I'd chime in. Just had them put on today and no alignment yet. With a lot of these product reviews I think its important to get a grasp on the amount of knowledge/ experience the reviewer has so thought id clarify my perspective on the setup.

The different setups I've had over the years are KW V1s on my old b8 a4, KW clubsports and V3s on my old F80 m3, and now the PSS10s on my z4mr. I'm not a track junkie(yet lol) ive done a few HPDEs and want to start autocrossing and tracking a lot more once this pandemic is over but the point I'm trying to make is I may not be as knowledge as some other people here who know exactly how to analyze/tweak rebound compression settings in detail. That being said here's my first impression and thoughts

These are only 1 way adjustable so low/high speed rebound/compression is not separately adjustable. Its all under 1 setting. Also important to note that it is VERY easily accessible at the bottom of the dampers. Adjusting all 4 takes about 1-2minutes.

I started off with 6 all around(1 is softest and 10 is stiffest). Car was definitely more comfortable and smooth than stock while also greatly reducing body roll and staying flat while cornering. On factory suspension I felt the chassis was very easily unsettled by imperfections and joints in the road especially on highways. This has definitely been improved. I then went 8F and 7R and felt that this was about perfect for a street car. Not a night and day difference but felt more dialed in and car felt very neutral cornering. I then tried full stiff on 10 in front and 9 rear and while I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable id say it was unnecessary for a street car and would actually reduce traction.

Comparing to my experience with KW V3s on my F80 M3 I felt like they were slightly less comfort oriented but I also had a slightly better idea of what my wheels were doing during regular driving and at the limit (even with that numb electric steering).

In conclusion if comfort matters, these feel very high quality and absorb bumps well while also improving handling. That goes without even trying less that 6 clicks. Normally I wouldn't care much about comfort but I think it matters with a tiny sporty street car like this. The easy adjustability makes this a great choice in the middle of the price range for someone like me. If money were no object I think I'd go for the KWs from my previous experience, but I plan on finding an e92m3 asap and doing a lot of stuff to it so I wanted to take it easy with the z4m. For more track focused people though I think I would go with another more hardcore option.
Appreciate 2
XMetal1096.50
David701567.00
      05-21-2020, 03:59 AM   #2
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I had this kit installed as well last week, at the middle of the range for stiffness. I can't feel much difference to stock, although rear rebound seems more gradual/controlled.

Having said that, keep in mind that this car is very sensitive to alignment settings. Even though I feel the suspension working better, without it being too firm, the DSC light flashes alot because this time around I opted for -1,75 rear camber. It seems that is too little. I think I am going back to -2 soon since the car never suffered uneven tire wear.

Up front keep caster angle over 6 with -2,75 camber. If you don't have camber plates turner used to sell a shim kit for the e36 that fits the e85/86 in order to increase front camber. I think it retailed for $35.

The reason I am writing this is because you mentioned roll. You won't have any roll if you set it up as described and won't need to stiffen further.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
I had this kit installed as well last week, at the middle of the range for stiffness. I can't feel much difference to stock, although rear rebound seems more gradual/controlled.

Having said that, keep in mind that this car is very sensitive to alignment settings. Even though I feel the suspension working better, without it being too firm, the DSC light flashes alot because this time around I opted for -1,75 rear camber. It seems that is too little. I think I am going back to -2 soon since the car never suffered uneven tire wear.

Up front keep caster angle over 6 with -2,75 camber. If you don't have camber plates turner used to sell a shim kit for the e36 that fits the e85/86 in order to increase front camber. I think it retailed for $35.

The reason I am writing this is because you mentioned roll. You won't have any roll if you set it up as described and won't need to stiffen further.
I can see how it could feel similar to stock but that unnecessary harshness I felt is gone as well as body roll. I don't experience the DSC issue you mentioned but I was considering figuring out a way to potentially add more camber in the future anyway so thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Running PSS10s paired with Vorshlag spring perches and camber plates, Rouge Engineering street rear reveres shock mounts and Turner Motorsports sealed monoball rear trailing arm bushings. I have it set to 4/5 F/R. The handling is insane and rides much better than stock. It's when you're accelerating mid corner that the suspension really shines, smooths out the road imperfections and keeps the tires planted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
      05-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

I know KW V1 are not dampening/rebound adjustable and suspension is very chassis dependent but if you did have to make a comparison how would you compare V1 to PSS10 overall?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
I know KW V1 are not dampening/rebound adjustable and suspension is very chassis dependent but if you did have to make a comparison how would you compare V1 to PSS10 overall?
To be honest the V1s were years ago but if I remember correctly they felt like V3s on a soft-medium setup while the Bilsteins are more like a perfected oem feeling setup. But the V1s were on an Audi b8 a4 so I'm not so sure it's a valid comparison
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
Running PSS10s paired with Vorshlag spring perches and camber plates, Rouge Engineering street rear reveres shock mounts and Turner Motorsports sealed monoball rear trailing arm bushings. I have it set to 4/5 F/R. The handling is insane and rides much better than stock. It's when you're accelerating mid corner that the suspension really shines, smooths out the road imperfections and keeps the tires planted.
If you don't mind, can you list all the part # in that picture? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
thielepr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M, 11 M3, 17 230i

Interesting review. I’m running stock suspension on my Z4M and noted the road imperfections and joints unsettle the car. I’ve been looking at Bilsteins but honestly I don’t want to lower the car
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielepr View Post
Interesting review. I'm running stock suspension on my Z4M and noted the road imperfections and joints unsettle the car. I've been looking at Bilsteins but honestly I don't want to lower the car
So I actually lowered another 5mm all around since my review and I'm at max low in the rear. Even at max low I still have a slight amount of wheel gap (unfortunately) and haven't scraped anywhere so you should be fine height wise.

I'm not sure if it's just in my head but after that extra 5mm of going lower I feel like I lost a bit of comfort in the ride so I'm going to lower the rebound/compression a bit

I'm going to attempt to post a picture from my phone of my ride height let's see if it works. I swear I never park that close to the parking blocks lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Kefka32.50
W///7434.00
      07-09-2020, 05:51 AM   #10
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielepr View Post
Interesting review. I’m running stock suspension on my Z4M and noted the road imperfections and joints unsettle the car. I’ve been looking at Bilsteins but honestly I don’t want to lower the car
I just installed this suspension yesterday and have it at the lowest settings and it’s about where the Eibach sport springs were, which I believe was advertised as a 1” drop. I did use both the upper and lower spring pads in the rear. Fender lip in the front is 25.25” and 25.5” rear (lip to floor).

So, you should have no problem setting them at stock height.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just wanted to add one thing after spending a bit more time with this setup. If your goal is to be slammed and completely get rid of wheel gap (which was my goal) I'd recommend a different set of coils. While these were fine at close to stock height I lost a lot of comfort at max low in the rear and it's still not as low as I'd like it to be. I went a few clicks lower to remedy this but that introduced a noticeable difference in increased body roll. Not the end of the world but not my ideal setup. If you're looking at staying at stock height then these will do the job just fine
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #12
c41250n
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Quote:
What camber plates are you using?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 07:33 AM   #13
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Thanks for the review. I eventually need to replace the suspension on my car.
      08-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41250n View Post
Quote:
Vorshlag
Appreciate 1
c41250n30.00
      08-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #15
c41250n
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c41250n View Post
Quote:
Vorshlag
Sorry, total missed it when you wrote it on your original post!
Appreciate 0