ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #23
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Quote:
Updated 2nd post with unboxing and installation video!
Great video! Install looks straightforward. Any idea if this would work on a non-M M54B30?
https://www.advancedfueldynamics.com...and-330ci-m54/

Here you go! They have already made one for the M54, if the fuel lines are the same then you can directly purchase this. You can PM me and I can confirm for you, as I'm familiar with the fuel line sizes on the 330i m54. Or you can contact AFD and they can help you out! On a N/A setup this gained 14whp, with your supercharged application I would except around 25-30+whp and additional torque.
Much appreciated! I'll look into it when the time comes. I have some big plans for the car.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:44 AM   #24
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

thanks , both WW and Josh for the indepth questions and explinations. As i said, ill be adding this to my kit if i move to Oz. Looks good. wish we could get e85 here in dxb.
      03-19-2019, 01:52 AM   #25
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
thanks , both WW and Josh for the indepth questions and explinations. As i said, ill be adding this to my kit if i move to Oz. Looks good. wish we could get e85 here in dxb.
You won't be disappointed! I did some roll racing tonight I'll be posting the video tomorrow.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #26
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
You won't be disappointed! I did some roll racing tonight I'll be posting the video tomorrow.
Cant wait to see them! very interested in this kit

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #27
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Just thought I'd update this thread, got the dragy GPS box mounted in the car and after I drain this tank of e85 I'm going to put in a quarter tank of 91 octane and do a 40-100/60-100 multiple times and then drain the tank and do the same thing with a quarter tank of e85. Each run I will allow the car to cool for 2 minutes by driving normal then repeat it again. And of course I will film the whole thing and make another video! Results will be posted in a few days!
http://www.burgertuning.com/dragy_gp...nce_meter.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:17 AM   #28
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Quote:
Just thought I'd update this thread, got the dragy GPS box mounted in the car and after I drain this tank of e85 I'm going to put in a quarter tank of 91 octane and do a 40-100/60-100 multiple times and then drain the tank and do the same thing with a quarter tank of e85. Each run I will allow the car to cool for 2 minutes by driving normal then repeat it again. And of course I will film the whole thing and make another video! Results will be posted in a few days!
I look forward to updates. I bought a dragy around the holidays and have yet to use it.

I'd be interested in seeing if that female 3/8" quick disconnect to male 5/16" something commonly available? I'd like to put one on a friends car I installed an afd in awhile back.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #29
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichase View Post
Quote:
I look forward to updates. I bought a dragy around the holidays and have yet to use it.

I'd be interested in seeing if that female 3/8" quick disconnect to male 5/16" something commonly available? I'd like to put one on a friends car I installed an afd in awhile back.
I actually searched everywhere for one before because I got offered a used kit from a local guy. No luck. It's a 3/8 bundy female to 5/16 bundy male (aka it's a weird fuel fitting that no other car has). I believe AFD makes it specifically for the application. Your car is FI so you'll be seeing more gains than me
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #30
Jsinghzzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z4M Coupe

What are your thoughts on the APE kit that Build Journal just reviewed and tested? https://thebuildjournal.com/news/alt...flex-fuel-kit/
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #31
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsinghzzzz View Post
What are your thoughts on the APE kit that Build Journal just reviewed and tested? https://thebuildjournal.com/news/alt...flex-fuel-kit/
Funny you asked, I actually asked the owner who's local to me to do multiple runs to compare the difference between them. She didn't want too. Another thing with that kit is that it's not built for the Z4m, it uses the basic fuel line parts that the e46 m3 uses. AFD kit uses a custom machined piece to connect the fuel line which can be found nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:20 PM   #32
Jsinghzzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z4M Coupe

According to the article, she hasn't tried what the APE app recommended blend for peak power, so maybe she'll go for it then.

I think competition in the space is good, and hopefully when they come out with their dedicated kit, it's not as much of a DIY beta-esque project.

I don't know much about mechanics in general and usually roll my eyes when someone says patent pending "exclusive" feature, but if the "true pulse width extension" works, and is less hard on your injectors that seems promising.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #33
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Link to product is in the first post, use code SPRING325 to get 25% off until 4/10/19!

Oh this is very tempting!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #34
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
As much as I dislike resurrecting necrotic threads, has anyone else tried one of these kits out? I've read a large number of overly positive reviews for different applications on different forums, but can't seem to track down anyone else that has used it on the Z4M specifically.

I'm highly leaning towards this as my next power modification, as its completely reversible, but would love to speak to someone not affiliated with the company that produces them.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #35
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion_2 View Post
As much as I dislike resurrecting necrotic threads, has anyone else tried one of these kits out? I've read a large number of overly positive reviews for different applications on different forums, but can't seem to track down anyone else that has used it on the Z4M specifically.

I'm highly leaning towards this as my next power modification, as its completely reversible, but would love to speak to someone not affiliated with the company that produces them.
I am very interested in this as well. I almost bought a kit but was worried how it was would interact with alphaN tuning. Every S54 application I have seen this run with is running it with the MAF based tune. If you end up going this route I am very interested to hear your results. I only hear great things about this kit and I have e85 easily available to me.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #36
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
I am very interested in this as well. I almost bought a kit but was worried how it was would interact with alphaN tuning. Every S54 application I have seen this run with is running it with the MAF based tune. If you end up going this route I am very interested to hear your results. I only hear great things about this kit and I have e85 easily available to me.
I have the same concern, as I'm also running Alpha-N. If I choose to do it, I plan on getting my tune updated, as I'll also likely upgrade the injectors to compensate for more fuel demand with E85.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #37
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
Quote:

I can answer all your questions, I'm not affiliated with AFD in any way. Just a guy who did testing for them and supports their product. I've ran this kit on two of my Z4M's. No you dont need to update your tune for this kit. It's plug and play with any pump gas tune you DO NOT need to put an e85 tune on.

As far as kits, ressidentj3553 has one but his car is N/A, it's going to have a VF570 kit soon.
Calichase has one, his car has a VF570.
PokeyBritches has one on his Z4 3.0i with a ESS twin screw blower.
I've had two on my n/a Z4m's. One had a VF engineering Alpha N tune and the car ran like a raped ape. I believe I posted a dyno sheet in here somewhere earlier where it made 304whp bone stock with just the kit on an e74 blend.

PM me if you want more in depth details or videos.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #38
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can answer all your questions, I'm not affiliated with AFD in any way. Just a guy who did testing for them and supports their product. I've ran this kit on two of my Z4M's. No you dont need to update your tune for this kit. It's plug and play with any pump gas tune you DO NOT need to put an e85 tune on.

As far as kits, ressidentj3553 has one but his car is N/A, it's going to have a VF570 kit soon.
Calichase has one, his car has a VF570.
PokeyBritches has one on his Z4 3.0i with a ESS twin screw blower.
I've had two on my n/a Z4m's. One had a VF engineering Alpha N tune and the car ran like a raped ape. I believe I posted a dyno sheet in here somewhere earlier where it made 304whp bone stock with just the kit on an e74 blend.

PM me if you want more in depth details or videos.
I believe you don't work for the company, but being the test subject still ties you to them in some fashion. Plus, I always prefer to get reviews from more than one source, and yours is the only substantial review I've been able to track down. There seem to have been a few reviews on M3post, but since it's kaput, I can't access them.

I'm aware a specific E85 tune isn't necessary; what I'm concerned with is the lack of flexibility that Alpha-N tunes have in general, and how the overall combination of tunes + my mods might come into play, as 2nd and 3rd order effects sometimes don't appear initially. With the additional mods I have installed, and the resulting higher HP, that comes with an increased fuel demand. If I recall correctly, stock S54 injectors only flow roughly 260cc/min. With my already increased fuel demand, and the fact that E85 fundamentally requires a greater flow compared to standard pump fuel, I would likely be risking fuel starvation issues at the top end, or forcing the stock injectors to work at far too high of a duty cycle on a regular basis. Replacing injectors for ones that have a greater flow without updating the Alpha-N tune would be foolish of me.

The single aspect I'm really curious about is since I have a CSL style airbox (hence the Alpha-N tune) how in the world would the kit know how much air is being inducted in order to properly modify the injector PW to create the proper AFR? Too rich AFR and I stand to lose power, not gain any...

If this setup functions perfectly, it would/should make an outstanding addition to my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #39
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I need to spend more time with it to give a final recommendation, but my kit was fairly pnp.

To simplify how the kit operates: it intercepts the signal sent from the ECU to the fuel injectors, and it increases the pulsewidth based on input from the flex fuel sensor.

You will get some benefits from running a pump gas tune, since timing can be increased to the maximum allowed by the ECU (the stock tune will go up to 98 RON, or 93-94 AKI pump fuel, and even then it's conservatively mapped). This is most noticeable for those in California that only have access to overpriced 91 AKI. To get the full benefit you need to advance timing beyond the stock mapping.

FI cars will see more benefits since the additional fuel injected cools the charge. Some kits require injector upgrades, and all kits push the limit of how much fuel the stock pump can flow.

As far as whether the stock injectors are able to keep up with the added demand, ethanol requires up to 40% more fuel flow. Log your current injector duty cycle or pulsewidth and multiply by 1.4 for worst case scenario.

Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #40
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I need to spend more time with it to give a final recommendation, but my kit was fairly pnp.

To simplify how the kit operates: it intercepts the signal sent from the ECU to the fuel injectors, and it increases the pulsewidth based on input from the flex fuel sensor.

You will get some benefits from running a pump gas tune, since timing can be increased to the maximum allowed by the ECU (the stock tune will go up to 98 RON, or 93-94 AKI pump fuel, and even then it's conservatively mapped). This is most noticeable for those in California that only have access to overpriced 91 AKI. To get the full benefit you need to advance timing beyond the stock mapping.

FI cars will see more benefits since the additional fuel injected cools the charge. Some kits require injector upgrades, and all kits push the limit of how much fuel the stock pump can flow.

As far as whether the stock injectors are able to keep up with the added demand, ethanol requires up to 40% more fuel flow. Log your current injector duty cycle or pulsewidth and multiply by 1.4 for worst case scenario.
Okay, that information makes things seem more clear; I wasn't tracking the the system received direct input from the ECU. Sounds like as long as the calculations it makes based on input vs ethanol content are solid, then no problems from that end.

I've used some injector calculators from DeatschWerks, Fuel Injector Clinic, and a couple of others; based on my current numbers, they all seem to project I should already be upgrading, and definitely should upgrade to 550s for this setup. I'm going to pull logs for the injectors, but if the stock flow rate of 260 is accurate, their math seems accurate.

Do you have any initial impressions you can share? I know numbers tell the tale more accurately, but anything helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #41
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The stock fuel pressure regulator is a 5 bar unit, and most injectors are rated at 3 bar of pressure. Make sure you are considering the fuel pressure.

The transition from pump gas to E85 is unnoticeable (in a good way). When I filled up with E85 for the first time and ethanol content rapidly increased, there was no perceptible 'stabilization period' during the switch. No rough running, no odd responses or NVH. I wouldn't have been able to tell anything was different had I not been watching the ethanol content shoot up on the app.

I've only put a couple hundred miles on the car with it. Shortly after I installed it I had all my parts come in for my built engine, and the car has been at the shop since. I need to spend more time with it before I say it's good to go. Initial impressions are great.

Appreciate 2
      04-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #42
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The stock fuel pressure regulator is a 5 bar unit, and most injectors are rated at 3 bar of pressure. Make sure you are considering the fuel pressure.

The transition from pump gas to E85 is unnoticeable (in a good way). When I filled up with E85 for the first time and ethanol content rapidly increased, there was no perceptible 'stabilization period' during the switch. No rough running, no odd responses or NVH. I wouldn't have been able to tell anything was different had I not been watching the ethanol content shoot up on the app.

I've only put a couple hundred miles on the car with it. Shortly after I installed it I had all my parts come in for my built engine, and the car has been at the shop since. I need to spend more time with it before I say it's good to go. Initial impressions are great.

That's a great point about the fuel pressure, thanks for bringing that up. after adjusting calculations for 5 bar vs 3, I'll still need to upgrade, but not as much as I thought. Based on my current RWHP, I'm at nearly 100% duty cycle for the stock injectors for pump gas, so installing this kit without upgrading would definitely be ill-advised.

If I upgrade to 440cc/min injectors, based on running at 5 bar, I'd be at roughly 80-85% duty cycle for running E85; sounds safe enough.

Chances are I'll end up trying this out and installing when I replace my plugs/coil packs/injectors. If I do, I'll post dyno results.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:09 AM   #43
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I think you'd be fine to run E85 without an increase in injector size. Have you tried other online calculators?

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:14 AM   #44
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's a great point about the fuel pressure, thanks for bringing that up. after adjusting calculations for 5 bar vs 3, I'll still need to upgrade, but not as much as I thought. Based on my current RWHP, I'm at nearly 100% duty cycle for the stock injectors for pump gas, so installing this kit without upgrading would definitely be ill-advised.

If I upgrade to 440cc/min injectors, based on running at 5 bar, I'd be at roughly 80-85% duty cycle for running E85; sounds safe enough.

Chances are I'll end up trying this out and installing when I replace my plugs/coil packs/injectors. If I do, I'll post dyno results.
Make sure if you get a retune for the increased injector size that you finish the tune to perfection then throw the kit on.

I have driven over 20k+ miles with the kit on two Z4m's running 100% e85 through almost every single tank. If you need any help with install or more info feel free to let me know. Also if you look in the 2nd post of mine in this thread you'll see the video with the Porsche which can give you an approximate representation on how much faster the car is with e85
Appreciate 1